"Scab Hair": Did u have it? If so, read on...

Peachtree

\"Scab Hair\": Did u have it? If so, read on...

Hi Friends

I understand that some transitioners experience "scab hair" yet others don't. I've read the old thread debating this topic & I understand the reasoning behind both positions. I'm trying to determine if my current new growth is merely "scab hair" or if this is my actual texture.

Here's my questions....

1) How many inches of "scab hair" did u have?
(I think I read that 3" is the avg)

2) Was there a drastic difference between ur "scab hair" & ur natural hair following it?

3) Which products did u find most useful for managing this hair?

Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for sharing,
Peachtree

sweetcocoa

Re: \"Scab Hair\": Did u have it? If so, read on...

I did when I went natural. I had about 2 -1/2 inches of new growth before I noticed the texture change. I just kept it very moisturized. Once I cut off the scab hair my curls were more defined..up until that point they were hard and frizzy.

amy1234

hi peachtree, from what I recall during my transition stage- I had around 1-2 inches of scab hair. It's hard for me to remember the texture of it but I do remember wanting to get rid of my scab hair because I was in love with my true natural texture. For me, the grass got greener once I cut off the scab hair IMO. Good luck in your transition! (its a fun journey
)

CICI24

1. I had 2 inches of scab hair
2. It was rougher/dryer than the other hair
3. no product worked longer than a few hours because my hair would suck it up. so I had to cut it off

AFashionSlave

1) How many inches of "scab hair" did u have?
I had about 3"

2) Was there a drastic difference between ur "scab hair" & ur natural hair following it?
After I stopped perming some of my hair was wavy in texture. Some of my hair was very dry and rough compared to my normal texture.

3) Which products did u find most useful for managing this hair?
I did not manage it. I just cut it off.

I would also like to add that I also had "Scab Scalp” I had the worst dermatitis ever for a couple of months after I gave up the relaxer. I would comb up quarter size flakes from my scalp. I don't know exactly what triggered my severe flaking but I think it was the relaxer. I still flake a tiny amount a couple times a year but the flakes are nothing like it was when I transitioned.

sbg4evr

1. I never ever thought of measuring my scab hair, so I do not know how much I had. I do not even measure my hair now.

2. My hair was texturized when I decided to go back natural. My hair and roots were always well moisturized but the roots felt wiry. After a few months, the roots were softer.

3. The products I used were the same I used with my texturizer. A moisturizing spray, leave in moisturizer and greasing my roots with Dax pressing oil mixed with olive oil or hot 6 oil.

caress

I know that this is thread is for people that did have scab hair but I didn't and I always wonder if it seems like "scab hair" because a lot of forgot what our natural hair felt like and because of the stark difference between our natural hair and relaxed hair.

mocha105

When I was transitioning 3 years ago, i really only had about an inch of scab hair. The scab hair did feel a lil rougher than my natural hair, so instead of trying to preserve it i just cut it off with the rest of my relaxed hair. hth

inthepink

I don't know if I had any scab hair. I do feel as though my hair has gotten easier to manage with the more new growth that I get when it was harder to manage in the beginning. But maybe that's due to me moisturizing more?

inthestars

I think the amount of scab hair you have depends on how long and how frequently you have been relaxing. It takes at least a year to get an idea of what your hair is going to be like.

ComfortablyNumb

I don't think I got scab hair. Well, maybe I did. I still had hair on my hair that was perfectly straight after I had cut out all the relaxer. Thing is, it wasn't coarse or like people usually describe scab hair. Actually I'v vut it out a few times. I'm starting to think taht the ends of my hair are just straight in the front. I've probably cut out about 5 inches of this straight hair but it doesnt go away.

inthestars

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I got scab hair. Well, maybe I did. I still had hair on my hair that was perfectly straight after I had cut out all the relaxer. Thing is, it wasn't coarse or like people usually describe scab hair. Actually I'v vut it out a few times. I'm starting to think taht the ends of my hair are just straight in the front. I've probably cut out about 5 inches of this straight hair but it doesnt go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you been natural? I'm going through the same thing with my hair. I know its not my natural texture because if it had, there wouldn't have been a reason to relax my hair.

ComfortablyNumb

I've been natural about two years...I feel like it is impossible for me to still have permed hair especially when I have had quite a few substantial cuts. I also thought it may have been press damage, so I cut it again and after waching again the last two inshes or so of my hair in the front fall straight.

inthepink

Could it be that scab hair can can get better with moisture? I used to hate when I got new growth while relaxing. The texture annoyed me! It would feel so hard! But now, that it's been 4+ months, my new growth is so soft and different than it was when it was first growing in. Can scab hair maybe heal?? That's my guess anyway.

I have about 3 inches of scab hair in the front of my hairline. It's like the rest of my newgrowth texture is in the 3 category and my "nappy bangs" as I call them is somewhere in the 5 (if there was) category.

Peachtree

Thanks SweetCocoa

Curlybun, thanks
. I'm having a ton of fun learning about my natural hair

Thanks CICI24

AFashionSlave, i've never heard of "Scab Scalp". I'm glad u have that situation under control. Thanks for input.

Thanks sbg4evr

Peachtree

Thanks Mocha

QUOTING HAIRLOVE:
"I don't know if I had any scab hair. I do feel as though my hair has gotten easier to manage with the more new growth that I get when it was harder to manage in the beginning. But maybe that's due to me moisturizing more? "

Could be. But then again, i really don't know. My new growth is really soft & easier to manage than my relaxed hair. If this is scab hair that I have, then lordy, I can't wait to get the "softer" true textured hair
... (If there is any
)

Peachtree

Inthestars, thanks for ur input. My aunt told me the same thing... "it takes about a yr to get an idea".... but she also said cuz my hair grows fairly fast, i would prolly tell in 6-7 mths..... Whenever, i'm just really excited about this

Peachtree

ComfortablyNumb, I don't know what to tell ya'.... that's a new one to me... (re: straight hair)... unless that's ur true hair type in that region of ur head

Karonica

Okay, so scab hair is actually harder or in worse condition compared to regular new growth. Oh my goodness...then I can't even imagine what my true texture is....I guess that's a good thing...

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so scab hair is actually harder or in worse condition compared to regular new growth. Oh my goodness...then I can't even imagine what my true texture is....I guess that's a good thing...
[/quote

Thats my general understanding also...

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
My new growth is really soft & easier to manage than my relaxed hair. If this is scab hair that I have, then lordy, I can't wait to get the "softer" true textured hair
... (If there is any
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachtree...I'm thinking the same thing...very curious!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My new growth is really soft & easier to manage than my relaxed hair. If this is scab hair that I have, then lordy, I can't wait to get the "softer" true textured hair
... (If there is any
)

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too!

Peachtree...I'm thinking the same thing...very curious!

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachtree

DSD, ur daughter is truly a precious sight... that lil pose of hers makes her look soooo adorable

Her hair is really pretty with those curls...