Say bye-bye to bad-hair days

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
http://www.inq7.net/lif/2004/jul/23/text/lif_24-1-p.htm
Posted:11:10 PM (Manila Time) | Jul. 22, 2004
Inquirer News Service

SITTING on my bathroom floor, I have just realized I am not as low maintenance hair-wise as I thought.

After checking out all the hair products sent to me, I can't remember the last time I used grocery-bought shampoo. I'm apparently very high-maintenance.

Lesson learned? If you spend on a haircut but start washing your hair with any random shampoo and conditioner, it will be deprived of volume, shine, sleekness, and your hair's shape will eventually go kaput.

These are my tried-and-tested hair products in the past three years. For the budget-conscious, don't worry--I found some for you. Best of all, they are all locally available.

Hair vitamins: Avon's Vitadvance Hair Care from Within. These are 30 soft gels to be taken two to three times a day. I swear by this product because it made my thin, scarce hair thicker and stronger, with less hair fall and breakage. Another surefire way to make your hair thicker is to go on a high-protein diet.

Shampoo/conditioner: For glossy hair, these products tame frizz and restores super shine to hair abused by color, perm, straightening, etc.--Body Shop Olive Glossing shampoo and conditioner, Phytobrush special smoothing shampoo, L'Oreal Professionnel Liss extreme shampoo, and Liss control gel-cream as a leave-on conditioner.

You can try Avon Rose, Geranium and Thyme S&C for dry, color-treated hair. For dry, abused hair, go for Kerastase Oleo Relax shampoo and leave-on serum or Nutri sculpt leave-on treatment and shine.

Big sex-symbol hair has always been my frustration, since I was born with fine, thin, flat hair. But there are solutions now, such as Kerastase Volum Act shampoo, rinse-off conditioner and leave-on-treatment for damaged ends (optional); L'Occitane Aromachologie Artemesia shampoo and Angelica conditioner, which should be applied only on ends.

There's also Pantene Volume and Fullness Shampoo and Conditioner (I love the conditioner in particular, because it is easy to find a volumizing shampoo but hard to get a reasonably priced conditioner that nourishes dry strands but does not flatten them).

Hair abused by color or perm: Phytocitrus maintains color and restores hairs health, like L'Oreal Professionnel Power (maroon bottle), Color or Perm energy (green bottle).

Scalp de-stress and detoxification: Very oily and very dry hair are both prone to flaking. If you suffer from mild dandruff, frequently wash your hair with Kerastase Dermo Calm shampoo and conditioner.

Another effective product is Crabtree & Evelyn Lavender Shampoo and Conditioner, which have antiseptic properties that clean and soothe the scalp without drying up hair. The smell is also very relaxing, and if you sweat, lavender and marine scents actually emanate from your scalp.

My favorite scalp exfoliator is Head and Shoulders menthol shampoo. It soothes the scalp, removes dead cells and oil that block hair follicles and stimulates hair growth. At least that is my happy experience with it.

For hard-core dandruff, try Neutrogena T-Gel, Stiefel's Fongitar and Nizoral. Clarifying shampoos should clean out hair buildup and should be used 14 days straight every two months.

Neutrogena's anti-residue shampoo and clean rinse conditioner and Paul Mitchell Awapuhi are good alternatives, as well as Korres, which has a hair scrub that can be applied after shampooing, then scrubbed down to exfoliate the scalp and remove hair buildup.

To prevent hair loss via breakage, there's Pantene Hair Fall Control, matched with your favorite Pantene conditioner.

As for hair loss leading toward baldness, Kerastase Bain Prevention followed by Aminexil scalp tonic (comes in a box of 10) twice a week for five weeks should do the trick.

Alopecia is a disease characterized by hair falling out in clumps, most often due to stress or a hormonal disorder. The Belo Medical Center has a new treatment called Mesotherapy to speed up hair growth. Microinjections that contain vitamins and amino acids will stimulate hair growth in terms of volume, not length.

Treatments that promote shine and curl/frizz tamers include Phyto Defrisant relaxing balm, Phytolisse ultra shine smoothing serum, L'oreal techni art Liss Control+serum, and The Body Shop's Grapeseed Glossing serum for shine and fighting frizz.

Avon-+63 2 8642900, Emphasis Salon- +63 2 8980818, Belomed- +63 2 8177178. Kerastase and L'oreal Professionel techni.art are available at leading hair salons. Paul Mitchell was last available at Watercolors Salon-4101219; Phyto, L'Occitane and Korres are available at Essenses, Rustan's.
©2004 www.inq7.net all rights reserved

Victorian

old head
[ QUOTE ]
Clarifying shampoos should clean out hair buildup and should be used 14 days straight every two months.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair would fall right off my head if I did that!
That Head and Shoulders Menthol shampoo does sound nice though