Salon visit & (poor) progress pics...

LoveLiLi

I went to the salon today for a flat-iron and trim.

Background info: My last trim was in mid-January and I flat-ironed my hair Sunday to check my progress. I was happy with the difference, the front was nearing apl and the back was filling in toward full apl. I always get the 'V' shape and the longest layers were an inch past apl - I just needed the rest to catch up.

I've been to this salon a handful of times in my relaxed days, and hoped she could handle my natural hair. We chatted for a bit, and even though I told her I was fully natural she repeatedly asked me when I decided to relax again. I finally got it through to her that it was just flat-ironed - she marveled at how straight it was and then asked me if I wanted her to cut off the relaxed sections :rolleyes:. Yeah... one mo 'gin, and she finally got it.

I told her I'm trying to grow my hair out and to follow along the natural layers and keep the V. I only wanted a baby trim - a dusting.

Her performance: After the shampoo she applied a quarter sized dollop of leave-in mixed with a quarter sized dollop of serum for my whole head. :nono:
She's the pro, so w/e. I know some stylists use just a little product to keep the hair light. She got to blow-drying (took forever) and she kept going on and on about how my hair was the perfect texture and I never needed a relaxer - my hair breaks down so easily etc.

By the time she was half -way through the flat-ironing process she was singing a different tune. Suddenly, she decided my hair was tough and she could see why I relaxed before :lachen:. Poor woman. It took her two-hours, two flat irons (one all the way on 450) and it looked good - initially. It had the 'swang' that's much discussed here :look:.

The trim took away my progress though. I'm right back to the hair I had in January. And my hair poofed up 20 minutes after I got outside and she didn't get my edges smooth as I like. I corrected that when I got home.

I may go back to her, but I'll air-dry, flat-iron my own hair (on 400 w/ Sabino) and just let her handle the trim. I have yet to find a person who understands the term 'dusting'.

Attachments

• Hair - left side.jpg
    Hair - left side.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 192
  • Hair - right side.jpg
    Hair - right side.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Hair - back view.jpg
    Hair - back view.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 260

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yes, Your Hair is Quite Beautiful Indeed. It Looks Sensational. But, I am going to suggest what alot of Ladies are doing and go to someplace like Supercuts or Mastercuts someplace like that where they do EXACTLY what you tell them when it comes to: dusting, trimming etc....:yep:

At least, that is what I plan to do when I get some length. I will no longer have those long drawn out conversations with Scissor happy stylist who think they Know Much Better than I about MY HAIR.:look:

Trust Me on this one, I've learned my Lesson. (The Hard Way):wallbash:

LoveLiLi

pretty hair! i hate ppl that pretend they can do a proper press n curl

She told me she has plenty of natural clients that just come in for blow-outs. She must be used to the 3a-3b heads because once she got in deep with my 4a/3c hair she started sweating and complaining, lol.

I began wondering about her skills when she ran some conditioner through my hair for a couple of minutes and rinsed it out. I'm used to the stylist applying conditioner and then sitting me under the dryer for a bit.

Sometimes they even leave it in and go from there. I knew she was setting herself up for failure when she went straight to the blow-dryer.

My hair loathes all blow-dryers :yep:. Her T3 was no exception.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hey, Girlie, your hair looks awesome! And I do see progress. Your hair has grown quite a bit, she didn't take it all away. Beautiful hair. Keep it up, it'll be back in no time. Cheers! *raises Cocktail*

RadiantBeauty

I am sorry this happened to you. :hug2: Your hair still looks very pretty and healthy to me! :yep: I recommend going somewhere else to get your hair trimmed tho! I wouldn't risk having another setback because of her again :nono:

LoveLiLi

Hey, Girlie, your hair looks awesome! And I do see progress. Your hair has grown quite a bit, she didn't take it all away. Beautiful hair. Keep it up, it'll be back in no time. Cheers! *raises Cocktail*

:yep: My cocktail will get me through.

Girl, you know how we get sometimes. I saw that extra length and I wanted to hold on for dear life :lol:

LoveLiLi

Oh yeah ... while she was doing my hair she said, "The more you cut your hair the more it grows". She was dropping jewels :yep:.

Nice Lady

Don't worry the hair will grow back. That lady hmmm.. I am so sorry but your hair looks good and you still have good length.

Makenzie

Yes, Your Hair is Quite Beautiful Indeed. It Looks Sensational. But, I am going to suggest what alot of Ladies are doing and go to someplace like Supercuts or Mastercuts someplace like that where they do EXACTLY what you tell them when it comes to: dusting, trimming etc....:yep:

At least, that is what I plan to do when I get some length. I will no longer have those long drawn out conversations with Scissor happy stylist who think they Know Much Better than I about MY HAIR.:look:

Trust Me on this one, I've learned my Lesson. (The Hard Way):wallbash:

Interesting. So, you just go with it already blown out and let them trim it dry? I'd be willing to do with when I want a length check and a light trim. As it is now, I'm scared to go to the salon(s) cause they know so much more than me.:rolleyes::lachen:

brownelovely

Looks pretty...so you just blow out/flat iron your natural hair? If so, it looks great straight. Mines will not lay like that...gets poofy after a few hours.

Great pictures

soonergirl

Your hair looks good sorry about the bad experience!!! I had a smilar situation a week ago and literally asked the stylist to stop trimming... She looked at me crazy but oh well!!! I still have my length... I did smile when I asked her though!! Super cuts here I come for trimming!!

tenderheaded

Your hair is crazy thick - and beautiful too:yep::drunk::yep: You know they don't speak our language. You say "dust only", it sounds to them like " do what you wanna, you're all knowing:lachen:".

Supercuts has a chair waiting for you next time

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Interesting. So, you just go with it already blown out and let them trim it dry? I'd be willing to do with when I want a length check and a light trim. As it is now, I'm scared to go to the salon(s) cause they know so much more than me.:rolleyes::lachen:

Yes, Alot of the Ladies swear by a place like Supercuts or Mastercuts, or Haircutters or whatever is in Your Local Area. From what I hear, they take off exactly how much you tell them to.

And a Good Friend of Mine swears by the Beauty/Cosmetology School. She said she always asks for a Senior and they definitely will do exactly what you tell them.:yep: And she's always been pleased with the outcome.

That's my plan going forth. I no longer have the time, patience, energy or the money to spend and not get exactly what I want.

Aterall, We are paying good money for a service.:look:

LoveLiLi

Looks pretty...so you just blow out/flat iron your natural hair? If so, it looks great straight. Mines will not lay like that...gets poofy after a few hours.

Great pictures

Thanks, my natural hair looks best air-dried and flat ironed (same when I was relaxed). My hair has a greater tendency to frizz and get poofy when it's been blown-out.

I get it blown-out and flat-ironed whenever I go to the salon - I know they have time constraints. It is lighter and has more body, but it's always dry and not as shiny. Maybe one day I'll find the right blow dryer that isn't murder on my hair.

When I flat iron at home I air dry and flat iron. It has less body, but it has great shine and my ends don't feel like hay.

Last edited:

Avan207

Ok ya'll don't take this the wrong way but to get a TRIM, ALWAYS GO TO THE WHITE GAY GUY(or white girl)!!!:yay:

He WILL NOT :nono:do anything other than dust, trim or whatever you asked. IMO, because long hair is nothing new to them they don't harbor any subconscious hair jealousies That will leave you ready to shank her,:wasntme:lol. I swear it seemed like before that, everytime I let "Tasha" trim my hair, I had wasted a month or more of growing!

Last time I grew my hair out I never went to anyone but Tim at Supercuts. When he left is when I fell off my regime,lol.