Should I get a trim or go elsewhere???

laurend085

So lately I've felt like I need a trim. I don't really know how to tell but my last "trim" was getting the rest if my relaxed ends cut in April and before that sometime in 09. I've flat ironed my hair a few times lately and the ends don't seem right to me kinda puffy

Anyway I texted my previous stylist saying I wanted a trim and what day and time. She texts back asking if I've been conditioning it drinking shampooing properly because if not it's extra dry harder to flat iron and I won't have salon results. Then tells me she doesn't specialize in natural hair she has a few she's been doing but it's still scary to her. I then tell her basically what I do and let her know hair is mostly pen spring sized coils. Then she gives me a time and says it's $60. ??? That's about what I was paying when I got perms. I asked what the price included. She says shampoo, keratin treatment, trim , flat iron. Then goes on to say she's doing the keratin treatment so it will get straighter, shine, last longer etc. Then that she doesn't just use regular shampoo and conditioner because she's noticed that natural hair needs something different. Finally she says she says she charges more for natural hair because it takes longer, it's more work and the expensive keratin products.......I thought I was gonna cone off like 15 bucks.

What do you think?

That's too much for a trim, and she doesn't sound confident in her ability to do your hair. You only want a trim and she's telling you that she's going to give you a keratin treatment? And charge you more because natural hair is more work? :ohwell: I would find a better stylist or do it myself.

If she's not comfortable doing natural hair I wouldn't let her touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

That's too much for a trim, and she doesn't sound confident in her ability to do your hair. You only want a trim and she's telling you that she's going to give you a keratin treatment? And charge you more because natural hair is more work? :ohwell: I would find a better stylist or do it myself.

I wish I could do my own trims. I'd end up looking like a barbie doll when you tried to trim it's hair because I don't what I'm lookin for how much to cut and I'm getting every piece. She is a good stylist and have no idea where to search for another and wouldn't trust another. She's only the 2nd one I've been to my entire life and she does have some good hair practices

So lately I've felt like I need a trim. I don't really know how to tell but my last "trim" was getting the rest if my relaxed ends cut in April and before that sometime in 09. I've flat ironed my hair a few times lately and the ends don't seem right to me kinda puffy

Anyway I texted my previous stylist saying I wanted a trim and what day and time. She texts back asking if I've been conditioning it drinking shampooing properly because if not it's extra dry harder to flat iron and I won't have salon results. Then tells me she doesn't specialize in natural hair she has a few she's been doing but it's still scary to her. I then tell her basically what I do and let her know hair is mostly pen spring sized coils. Then she gives me a time and says it's $60. ??? That's about what I was paying when I got perms. I asked what the price included. She says shampoo, keratin treatment, trim , flat iron. Then goes on to say she's doing the keratin treatment so it will get straighter, shine, last longer etc. Then that she doesn't just use regular shampoo and conditioner because she's noticed that natural hair needs something different. Finally she says she says she charges more for natural hair because it takes longer, it's more work and the expensive keratin products.......I thought I was gonna cone off like 15 bucks.

What do you think?

She sounds like she's smoking that good good stuff, and if I were you I'd run, nay FLEE like a woman possessed as far from her as possible. What da hell she talmbout?

I went to a stylist who was supposed to be good with natural hair and I regretted it. If you go to this one who sounds like she hasn't got the foggiest idea about hair, let alone, natural hair, then I can't be blamed for assuming that you too must've been smoking that good good stuff.

Seriously do NOT go to her.

Why don't you just do your own trims like the rest of us? Put your hair in twists and snip the same amount from all the ends? There are so many threads on the forum on this topic that I think anyone who goes to a stranger to cut their hair (Stranger being someone unfamiliar with their hair or their goals) must love playing Russian Roulette.

I didn't even read the OP. If you have to ask, go elsewhere especially when it comes to scissors

She sounds like she's smoking that good good stuff, and if I were you I'd run, nay FLEE like a woman possessed as far from her as possible. What da hell she talmbout?

I went to a stylist who was supposed to be good with natural hair and I regretted it. If you go to this one who sounds like she hasn't got the foggiest idea about hair, let alone, natural hair, then I can't be blamed for assuming that you too must've been smoking that good good stuff.

Seriously do NOT go to her.

Why don't you just do your own trims like the rest of us? Put your hair in twists and snip the same amount from all the ends? There are so many threads on the forum on this topic that I think anyone who goes to a stranger to cut their hair (Stranger being someone unfamiliar with their hair or their goals) must love playing Russian Roulette.

I may research trimming myself but what if I cut too much or don't put the twists in right? I wouldnt know what to take off My hair is different lengths so how do I trim the shorter pieces if they're wrapped up in a twist?

I wish I could do my own trims. I'd end up looking like a barbie doll when you tried to trim it's hair because I don't what I'm lookin for how much to cut and I'm getting every piece. She is a good stylist and have no idea where to search for another and wouldn't trust another. She's only the 2nd one I've been to my entire life and she does have some good hair practices

If you put your hair in small twists or small braids and then cut off the same amount from all the ends, you will get an even trim. You don't LOOK for anything. You just decide that you will snip off say 1/2 inch from the ends of all the twists or braids.

For example, take these twists--they aren't all the same length...

Coilsattheendsoftwists-vi.jpg

...but if I were to cut off the same amount from each end--I used to need to see in the mirror but now I just feel it--then I'd end up with the same "cut" as I had before. The ones that were a cm longer than the others will still be a cm longer than the others:

ExampleofTrimEstimates-vi.jpg

If I wash them and let them shrink so they are more or less "on the same page" then trimming the amount shown in white from all the ends would give me the same overall look...and not change the "style" I had. But I'd have healthier ends.

If you do this say every 2 months, then you can even cut a little less because you will not have given your hair a chance for ends to get so bad.

I may research trimming myself but what if I cut too much or don't put the twists in right? I wouldnt know what to take off My hair is different lengths so how do I trim the shorter pieces if they're wrapped up in a twist?

If you're more comfortable with braids, then do mini braids. Why I prefer braids or twists is you keep the main body of the hair stretched and held in place so that you can have better control of the hair. Stylists stretch loose hair and cut, but they have eyes that are seeing your whole head and able to compare sections and make sure they are cutting the same way. Since you can't do that, the closest thing would be to have your hair in a stretched way...and in small sections...so that even if you cut one part say 0.5 cm more than the other, it won't be obvious. In other words, you would make a mistake in a tiny section.

You can decide that you will slide fingers down the braid all the way to the end...till your finger and thumb are holding the very tip, and then cut above them...so you only remove the part that is covered by finger and thumb.

You may not know how much to cut, but start small. Some people can tell their ends are in need of help because they are dry, they tangle, they get SSKs. So you can do that to all...and see in a couple of days if your hair feels better. If not, do another small dust by sliding fingers to the end...as before...or you could decide you will slide till only a tiny bit is peeking and trim that. If your hair has been washed and airdried so shrinkage is somewhat uniform like in my twist, you can do the "slide till only a tiny bit is peeking and cut that bit off".

Braids might feel "safer" to you because you can smooth the hair and make sure it's stretched within the braid. The most important thing is to do small section so you risk making a mistake in such a small section that would not even be noticeable.

Why don't you just straighten it yourself then go to her for a trim?

Sent from my SCH-R915 using SCH-R915

If you put your hair in small twists or small braids and then cut off the same amount from all the ends, you will get an even trim. You don't LOOK for anything. You just decide that you will snip off say 1/2 inch from the ends of all the twists or braids.

For example, take these twists--they aren't all the same length...

Coilsattheendsoftwists-vi.jpg

...but if I were to cut off the same amount from each end--I used to need to see in the mirror but now I just feel it--then I'd end up with the same "cut" as I had before. The ones that were a cm longer than the others will still be a cm longer than the others:

ExampleofTrimEstimates-vi.jpg

If I wash them and let them shrink so they are more or less "on the same page" then trimming the amount shown in white from all the ends would give me the same overall look...and not change the "style" I had. But I'd have healthier ends.

If you do this say every 2 months, then you can even cut a little less because you will not have given your hair a chance for ends to get so bad.
Nonie. Imma need to fly you in to do my twists. Mine be so unfortunate looking :sad:

I wanted to get a "professional" flat iron

She flat out told you that she can't give you 'salon results' if you haven't been drinking enough water :rolleyes: I don't think you're going to get professional results from her, judging by all the excuses she is making, before she's even seen your hair. I hope you do the right thing for you, none of us want to see a sad thread about how she cut too much or burnt the curl pattern out of your hair :nono: :sad: If you thought she knew what she was doing, you'd have made your oppointment, but because you are having doubts, you made this thread. Go with your gut and don't put your hair in her hands. :pray:

@Nonie. Imma need to fly you in to do my twists. Mine be so unfortunate looking :sad:

Awww... @nappystorm, mine don't look that great immediately after doing them either. I do them on braid stretched hair and they are all skinny and wonky with frayed weird looking ends. But as soon as I'm done, I CW so the hair can shrink and form coils and then I roll the ends between my fingers to create a single end if I see them forming two arms trying to unravel, and that is what makes them look tidier. See?

And if you twist using the method of twirling each strand in the same direction and wrapping them in the opposite direction, then you'll find they not only hold better but last long. ;)

Last edited:
She flat out told you that she can't give you 'salon results' if you haven't been drinking enough water :rolleyes: I don't think you're going to get professional results from her, judging by all the excuses she is making, before she's even seen your hair. I hope you do the right thing for you, none of us want to see a sad thread about how she cut too much or burnt the curl pattern out of your hair :nono: :sad: If you thought she knew what she was doing, you'd have made your oppointment, but because you are having doubts, you made this thread. Go with your gut and don't put your hair in her hands. :pray:

I gotcha. It's just disappointing. I haven't been to a stylist consistently since I began going natural. I wanted to start going every blue moon for a trim or just to relax and let someone else flat iron or rollerset my hair. And she's the only stylist I trusted.

OP, love you like a lhcf sister, so here it goes..... will you just stop making excuses and trim your own hair? you have come this far, with doing it yourself, so just go for it. please don't let this woman in your hair. she has told you that she won't be able to give you what you want. she told you that she can't be trusted with your hair, but you keep trying to tell us that you trust her? you are so stuck on wanting a professional flat iron/trim, but clearly this is not the stylist for you. move on from that.

you can do it yourself. research and watch as much as you have to, to feel comfortable on your own. do what Nonie instructed/suggested you to do. get a friend to help you straighten/flat iron your own hair.

please stop trying to talk yourself into allowing this woman to jack your hair up!

Love Always,

Shortdub78

You also missed the part where she said she's giving you a "keratin treatment" for straighter, shiny hair that will stay straight longer? Sounds mighty similar to the BKT, or at least a chemical treatment. I would stay away from her

Here is an option. I flat iron my hair in the morning. Make sure you get it really straight. Then I go to super cuts or the hair cutlery. I ask for a dry trim. I visually show the stylist how much I want taken off. I also tel them I want a blunt cut. They are not scissor happy since they cut hair all day. And they are good at following
Directions. This cost about $15

You also missed the part where she said she's giving you a "keratin treatment" for straighter, shiny hair that will stay straight longer? Sounds mighty similar to the BKT, or at least a chemical treatment. I would stay away from her

^^This. I think you are setting yourself up for heat damage if you go to this stylist. What part of TX are you from? Maybe some fellow Texans can give you recommendations of better stylists who are more familiar with natural hair.

^^^I agree if you want a trim she should not have told you she was going to do a chemical treatment of any kind. A lot of us are in TX maybe one of us could help:)

Back