Rough up a wig?

**Jade**

So I have this 3/4 wig that I love except that it looks COMPLETELY fake... it's like shiney and looks like Barbie doll hair.... how do I rough it up so it doesn't look so fake? vinegar bath?

Dommo

If it's synthetic, it will always look fake. I can always spot synthetic hair no matter how well it's blended. But, if it is human, you can just wash it with shampoo and it should take away some of the shine. From my experience, once you wash an instant weave, it will never look the way it did when you purchased it.

HTH

**Jade**

it is synthetic.... I was hoping I could drown it in some vinegar or something to take away the shine... ugh my hair is KILLING my pockets LOL

raloftin

Rough up a wig!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Girl not sure how, but I know exactly what you mean.I have specifically asked for the wigs on the mannequins in the hairstore at times because they were "Roughed Up Right Nicely".:yep:

SelfStyled

Swirl the wig in a basin with some shampoo- that will help to take off the silicone that is on the synthetic hair. Towel dry, and then hang it to dry or lay it on a towel. Once it is dry, put some baby powder on your hands, and run your hands over the wig. Repeat as necessary until you have noticed that it does not look so shiny. The goal is not to make the hair look grey, but just enough powder to reduce the shine. This really helps to cut down the shine on synthetic hair.

curlmama

I have had good luck using the vinegar bath over night (I use a small bowl with about 1 part ACV to 4-5 parts warm water). Sometimes it is just the brand of wig that makes it so shiny but usually I soak my half wigs over night then drip dry it on a child size hanger over the bathtub and the style looks just like I bought it but with a lot less shine. HTH

**Tasha*Love**

That's it! The baby powder works wonders. :yep:
Swirl the wig in a basin with some shampoo- that will help to take off the silicone that is on the synthetic hair. Towel dry, and then hang it to dry or lay it on a towel. Once it is dry, put some baby powder on your hands, and run your hands over the wig. Repeat as necessary until you have noticed that it does not look so shiny. The goal is not to make the hair look grey, but just enough powder to reduce the shine. This really helps to cut down the shine on synthetic hair.

naturalmanenyc

I soak my synthetic wigs in fabric softener and allow them to dry. Lots of people assumed my new curly half wig was human hair....including a LHCF who put in my last relaxer.

I also added gel to my own hair to help with blending.