Rough feeling hair strands...??

Cayenne0622

I was wondering if anyone else (relaxed hair) experiences this. I'm so addicted to my hair that whenever a shedded strand falls. I immediately grab it and run my fingers down the entire strand to feel for the bulb. But I also notice that my hair strand is not smooth. It usually feels or looks kind of crinkly...this is even when my hair has been flat-ironed. Is there something I can do to get that smooth feeling to my hair strands? I usually do an ACV treatment when I shampoo my hair and I deep condition and moisturize at every wash (twice a week). I know its possible that my hair is overprocessed because I had my last two relaxers (prior to LHCF) done by stylists who were just slapping it on and didn't seem to take special care not to overlap.

PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Catina72

I believe that your strands are based on your hair type. I remember trying to determine my 'hair type' and felt down a strand of hair(that sounds funny:lol: ) and it kinda felt like silk and was big snake S's. My best friend did the same and her strand felt kinda bumpy and her strand looked like several little Z's. HTH's!

tuffCOOKiE

That actually sounds like me!! I do this all the time and my hair does feel rough but I'm come to accept that that's just the tecture of my hair. Just as long as its not breaking and can be styled, I'm pretty happy..

Cayenne0622

Catina72 said:
I believe that your strands are based on your hair type. I remember trying to determine my 'hair type' and felt down a strand of hair(that sounds funny:lol: ) and it kinda felt like silk and was big snake S's. My best friend did the same and her strand felt kinda bumpy and her strand looked like several little Z's. HTH's!

Thanks for the response but I don't think that's the case for me. My hair normally feels smooth but I think its overprocessed and that's why the strands feel a little more brittle?? I guess that's the word I'm looking for. My strands never look like little z's....they just feel rough. Its hard to describe. lol The area closest to my scalp (my newgrowth normally looks like small S's, not loose ones but closer together).

Thanks anyway. I guess I have to just keep nursing my hair and hopefully it'll get moisturized enough or have less porosity over time and feel smooth again.

Candy_C

i have strands like that...some r smooooth and some are rough n wirey..like my natural texture. if u have many different textures then the looser texture will be broken down by the relaxer quicker and some slower...maybe those strands are a different texture and were not fully broken down. if ur using heat on your hair u need 2 moisturize every day! TWICE a day even! even tho i use heat rarely, when i do i make sure my hair is literally smoothered in mosture and oils!

cocoberry10

Catina72 said:

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks for the response but I don't think that's the case for me. My hair normally feels smooth but I think its overprocessed and that's why the strands feel a little more brittle?? I guess that's the word I'm looking for. My strands never look like little z's....they just feel rough. Its hard to describe. lol The area closest to my scalp (my newgrowth normally looks like small S's, not loose ones but closer together).

Thanks anyway. I guess I have to just keep nursing my hair and hopefully it'll get moisturized enough or have less porosity over time and feel smooth again.

I agree with Catina. However, if that's not it, it probably does need more moisture. I have started doing daily conditioner washes and my hair has never felt softer. I have also started moisturizing with castor oil. Even if I skip a day or two in between washes, the castor oil keeps it really well moisturized, and as soon as the water hits my hair, it feels like silk. Maybe that could work for you.

simone103

Cayenne0622 said:
I was wondering if anyone else (relaxed hair) experiences this. I'm so addicted to my hair that whenever a shedded strand falls. I immediately grab it and run my fingers down the entire strand to feel for the bulb. But I also notice that my hair strand is not smooth. It usually feels or looks kind of crinkly...this is even when my hair has been flat-ironed. Is there something I can do to get that smooth feeling to my hair strands? I usually do an ACV treatment when I shampoo my hair and I deep condition and moisturize at every wash (twice a week). I know its possible that my hair is overprocessed because I had my last two relaxers (prior to LHCF) done by stylists who were just slapping it on and didn't seem to take special care not to overlap.

PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My hair strands in certain sections on my head would literally look like wire and be hard and coarse. It could be a number of reasons why some of your strands feel rough. But what worked for me was changing relaxers. I switched from using Vitale lye relaxer to Phyto, and then from Phyto to ORS (couldn't afford Phyto anymore). Also, I started using the Keracare line and that's when my hair really started becoming healthier.