Rough ends after a blowout - what does that mean?

greenandchic

Thursday I blew out my hair for the first time in over 9 years and excited to have finally done something different. The part I'm confused about is my ends; they are bushy and rough though there are not split ends or SSKs since I dusted twice in the past three weeks.

Are rough ends a sign of damage? Is this normal? They are rough about 1" up starting from the bottom and though visually its not different than the rest of my hair, it just feels bad.

LexiDior

Ive never had a blowout before but that sounds like damage. Im sure a good DC would soften them up so they feel better.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Love the new avatar greenandchic!

Like pp said coud be damage. Could also be too much heat protectant if you used any. Too much of the wrong protectant dries my hair out, mostly at the ends too.

greenandchic

They might have not blown the end out properly

nadaa16
I used the tension method and found that it is difficult to blow it completely out.

Love the new avatar @greenandchic!

Like pp said coud be damage. Could also be too much heat protectant if you used any. Too much of the wrong protectant dries my hair out, mostly at the ends too.

DarkJoy
Thanks!
I probably used too much. I used Jonathan No-Frizz Hydrating Balm (which has thermal protectant) and a few drops of Proclaim Glossing Polish per section.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Probably buildup from your heat protectant, and your ends probably dried before the rest of your hair. I know mine would, so it may take on the texture of air-dried hair.

ManeStreet

greenandchic said:
Thursday I blew out my hair for the first time in over 9 years and excited to have finally done something different. The part I'm confused about is my ends; they are bushy and rough though there are not split ends or SSKs since I dusted twice in the past three weeks.

Are rough ends a sign of damage? Is this normal? They are rough about 1" up starting from the bottom and though visually its not different than the rest of my hair, it just feels bad.

It happens also if the hair isnt used to be straightened. It isnt trained so its more resistant to being straightened so your ends are like "U want me to do what?! Ah hell naw".

Your Cheeziness

With the tension method, are you holding your ends the whole time? I'm thinking that if you start the blow out by addressing the ends first then finish the rest of your hair, it may yield better results. I'm just guessing, though. The ends are going to want to resist the straightening, so they may need a little extra attention since you haven't straightened in so long.

tru4reele

Your ends need to be blow dried first and make sure you hold them taut. If they dry to quick at the next section spritz them with water before you blow-dry. Also experiment without the heat protectant on one section because it could be that as well. My hair blowdrys better with nothing on it but a little leave-in. Product makes it hard.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
It's def damage. I had that too recently. I just trimmed it off. If you don't want to trim all of it, then just trim a little now and trim more in 6 months but its def damage.

greenandchic

It's def damage. I had that too recently. I just trimmed it off. If you don't want to trim all of it, then just trim a little now and trim more in 6 months but its def damage.

I will keep dusting until its gone. It wasn't noticeable before the blowout so I wonder if this caused it.

Sometimes I feel like I have not flexibility with my hair. I haven't even worn it out in 7 months...

Aviah

This happened to me most recently during my flat iron process. The ends were really dry and bushy. Granted I used the tension method, and the ends weren't held taught through the whole process. But a trim did me really well.

tru4reele

Your ends are probably not damaged. So do not cut it yet. Do as I said first and I bet you will see a difference. If you are not blow drying it correctly it will come out hard and bushy rather it's damaged or perfectly healthy.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I get better results when I use a round brush to blow dry (oh the horror lol) It doesn't take out my hair or anything, and my ends feel fluffy soft like the rest of my hair. And definitely make sure you are using the right products for your hair. Serum when it comes to blow drying and straightening might as well be cooking oil b/c it makes my hair feel deep fried lol. I use TRESemme Heat Tamer Spray now, it's awesome. Protects up to 450 degrees, smells great, leaves my hair feeling super soft and silky :3 and when I go back to curly my hair completely reverts.

faithVA

Your ends are probably not damaged. So do not cut it yet. Do as I said first and I bet you will see a difference. If you are not blow drying it correctly it will come out hard and bushy rather it's damaged or perfectly healthy.

I would agree with this. Get your technique down first before considering a trim. You would be disappointed to trim and then find the same thing happens.

Ann0804

This would happen to me all the time until I realized that my hair had to be completely wet while I blow dried my hair. If I waited until my hair was half dry I would get those dry, crispy, funky ends. Did you start on wet hair or did you allow your hair to dry a little first?

MissMasala5

NappyNelle said:
Probably buildup from your heat protectant, and your ends probably dried before the rest of your hair. I know mine would, so it may take on the texture of air-dried hair.

This. It's good to clarify before a blow-out for smoother ends. Also, it may help to dry the ends of a section first.

gorgeoushair

I'm not sure why some are saying "damaged".....why would your ends be damaged if you don't use heat often? I'm going to say technique and to make sure your hair is very moisturized and to make sure the ends are wet and to start blowdrying ends first. HTH

Beverly Ann Properties

Don't trim until you know what is going on with your hair. My experience is that once I flat iron with the comb chase method, my ends are smooth. You might want to look at a few Youtube videos and see if you ends are similar to some one else's hair once it is blowdried. If you trim and blow dry your hair again and end up with the same results, then it wasn't damage at all, just your technique.

TheMenAllPause

Beverly Ann Properties said:
Don't trim until you know what is going on with your hair. My experience is that once I flat iron with the comb chase method, my ends are smooth. You might want to look at a few Youtube videos and see if you ends are similar to some one else's hair once it is blowdried. If you trim and blow dry your hair again and end up with the same results, then it wasn't damage at all, just your technique.

Yes!!! I figured this out after cutting 2-3 inches of "damaged" ends. I use my Denman to do the comb chase method and my ends are smooth when I flat iron.

empressri

Literally that is how my hair is if I don't use crisco. For some reason only the crisco really smooths down my ends! They won't even be all that damaged, cause I'll get a trim right after flat ironing and my stylist Dean doesn't even cut off that much.

I think our curly hair just wants to stay curly lol.

Ms. Tiki

My hair used to feel the same way when I would do my hair. I thought my ends were damaged but it turns out my flat ironing and blow drying skills/technique sucked. Now that I have them down, I haven't had any more rough ends. So, I say that to say I agree with those who said it's just the way you blow dried

greenandchic

This would happen to me all the time until I realized that my hair had to be completely wet while I blow dried my hair. If I waited until my hair was half dry I would get those dry, crispy, funky ends. Did you start on wet hair or did you allow your hair to dry a little first?

My hair is porous so it was pretty dry by the time I got to most of the sections. I will keep a spray bottle of water with me next time.

gorgeoushair, faithVA MissMasala5, almond eyes, Ms. Tiki AFashionSlave - Thanks ladies! No more dusting until October for me. I keep looking at the ends and there's no damage so I'm not doing anything with my shears for a while.

TheMenAllPause, Beverly Ann Properties - I really need to practice that method. I tried it with an old Deman I retired years ago, but my left hand don't know what the right is doing. :lol:

empressri - Crisco eh? Won't hurt to try it!