Rollersetting waist length hair?

LynnieB

Thanks for asking this yamilee. I attempted to do a rollerset (regular rollers) couple months ago and just about threw them across the room. Too much hair, too long and short arms do not make a pleasant experience and the thought of going to a salon and having someone rip through this stuff to roller set it is giving me the eebie-jeebies:perplexed.

Good Luck and I hope you let us know what you decide to do...

Don't forget to post pics too :grin:

mariofmagdal

Hi all, there does not appear to be an "introduction" section, so I guess I will just start posting. I have waist-length, natural hair that has grown through sheer neglect. It is very full - I have broken many combs and even a few hairbrushes, and always lose hairpins in it. I stopped relaxing for good in 1991, though I have continued to use heat drying, curling irons and the electric comb occasionally. From lurking here and on other hairboards, I have seen a lot of the different techniques I have used through the years; I had forgotten about some, and never knew the names of most.

I have searched the forums, but I can't quite figure this out from what I have read. I used to roller set until my hair grew near MBL. At shorter lengths (around APL/BSL), it would take almost 90 minutes to dry under the bonnet dryer, and that time got ever longer as my hair grew. When I used the biggest rollers I own (hard plastic grey ones that have a 2.75 inch diameter, standard width or really old bronze plastic ones that have a 2.5 inch diameter and are 4 inches wide), I could not fit my head under any dryer. If I used smaller rollers, the hair would be wrapped around so many times that it would never dry; the roots would be straight-ish, and the ends were like Jheri curls. The last time I rollerset my hair was at least 4 years ago, and it still wasn't dry after 3 hours, so I gave up on rollersetting. But it seems that some of you are able to roller set very long hair, and I would like to know how you do it, especially with very full hair. Thanks. :)

Your hair is really pretty! My hair is also waist length, but my last roller set was a disaster due to the same reasons mentioned above. I did not do it myself, but it just did not dry properly.

Some good responses have come in, hope they work for you. I am not really interested in my hair being straight, my set was for a one day event anyway so it did not matter.

Happy Hair Maintenance!

Miss*Tress

My hair is MBL and I roller set using mesh rollers as air circulates better throughout. It can be a bit of an ordeal as my shoulders are practically bent backwards so my arms can reach the ends and I have to go under the dryer 2 x 1 hour because I take a break at the half-way mark. HTH