Rollersetting waist length hair?

yamilee21

Hi all, there does not appear to be an "introduction" section, so I guess I will just start posting. I have waist-length, natural hair that has grown through sheer neglect. It is very full - I have broken many combs and even a few hairbrushes, and always lose hairpins in it. I stopped relaxing for good in 1991, though I have continued to use heat drying, curling irons and the electric comb occasionally. From lurking here and on other hairboards, I have seen a lot of the different techniques I have used through the years; I had forgotten about some, and never knew the names of most.

I have searched the forums, but I can't quite figure this out from what I have read. I used to roller set until my hair grew near MBL. At shorter lengths (around APL/BSL), it would take almost 90 minutes to dry under the bonnet dryer, and that time got ever longer as my hair grew. When I used the biggest rollers I own (hard plastic grey ones that have a 2.75 inch diameter, standard width or really old bronze plastic ones that have a 2.5 inch diameter and are 4 inches wide), I could not fit my head under any dryer. If I used smaller rollers, the hair would be wrapped around so many times that it would never dry; the roots would be straight-ish, and the ends were like Jheri curls. The last time I rollerset my hair was at least 4 years ago, and it still wasn't dry after 3 hours, so I gave up on rollersetting. But it seems that some of you are able to roller set very long hair, and I would like to know how you do it, especially with very full hair. Thanks. :)

msa

I just wanted to say welcome!

I have no clue how one would rollerset waistlength hair because I have never had it. But, it you like curls maybe you could do bantu knot outs instead.

Hopefully someone can help!

yamilee21

Thanks for the welcome. :) The bantu knots don't eliminate the frizz the way roller setting used to. When I roller set, it was to "straighten" my hair - smooth out the curls, instead of blow drying, which reverts far more quickly and almost always leaves me with split ends.

msa

Thanks for the welcome. :) The bantu knots don't eliminate the frizz the way roller setting used to. When I roller set, it was to "straighten" my hair - smooth out the curls, instead of blow drying, which reverts far more quickly and almost always leaves me with split ends.

Ohhhh you were trying to straighten. Hmmmm...now that I don't know. Maybe you could air dry in braids to stretch out your hair and then flat iron to straighten? That way you could avoid blowdrying.

hillytmj

There was another thread in here recently where a few WL ladie said they still rollerset. I hope they'll see this post and chime in.

Whimsy

I sooooo wanna see pix of your hair.

But how bout letting the hair airdry in a few braids and then flatironing (or maxigliding!) it straight after.

Mystic

Maybe the flex-rods might be a better option for you since it might cut down on the drying time. Also, since they hang down, you might be able to fit your head under the dryer unlike the big rollers.

yamilee21

I have a picture on the profile page. :) I'm nervous about posting pictures; I've seen all those comments about "see-through ends" here, :lol:. I like to think my weird end pattern is caused by uneven shrinkage due to multiple textures, but that might be delusional.

I do not own a flat iron (yet - this site makes me want to get one, now!); I was tempted by the Maxiglide infomercial, but then I read all the bad reviews.

Never heard of flex-rods; I only know the hard plastic kind and the foam ones. I'll have to look into those.

ajacks

Your hair is gorgeous!!! I agree with the flexi rods followed by a saran wrap. Sweetcashew has WL+ hair. I don't like posting links to other people's fotki but she has pictures of these huge flexi rods that she uses to rollerset.

frizzy

Welcome yamilee21! I can't wait to have your "problem" maybe in the next 10 or 12 years,:look: but from looking at your profile pic I would give ponytail rollersetting a try.

BTW--You have beautiful thick hair. :lick:

blackbarbie

Welcome to the board! I have problem rollersetting APL natural hair so I know I won't be able to help you:grin: but there is a member here by the name of albane, (I think that's it) whose used to have pictures in her fotki of her rollerset hair. It showed all the rollers in her head and all. They were the verrrrry big sized rollers.

Also, as the previous poster suggested, you could do a search on ponytail rollersets and try that.

Good luck and welcome again to the board!

BB

SherryLove

you have beautiful hair, yamilee. sorry, i cannot help with this one. my hair is relaxed, and i could never ever imagine rollersetting it in its natural state. oh no......

lollyoo

Yamilee,
Welcome. You hair is beautiful. There was an old forum member that use to rollerset with this big roller definately bigger than the grey roller. Also I think you will need to invest in a professional type bonnet hair dryer, any other type will take to long to dry regard less of the size of rollers.
The flexi rod may help as well.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well I am one of the ones who has semi given up on rollersets, I airdry loose, in a pony; twist or a braid. When I get up the nerve I'll rollerset upward on almost dry hair that i'll dampen after sectioning mainly wetting the ends. That cuts my drying time down, especially since I am back to using the table top dryer. Alot of pple do ponytail rollersets (when you section the hair off in pontails with litte scrunchies then put the roller on) I don't have time for all that, but it works really good for others and come out nice.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
My hair is natural and about hip-length now and I still rollerset with success....hate doing it but I can do it, lol. I have various ways of doing this, all of which involve ponytails. Ponytails is the only way I can do it without having a meltdown and choping my whole ponytail off:blush::spinning:.

This is the cheat set that I came up with when I'm really lazy. Results may vary but it works pretty well and it's good to stretch out the hair before flat ironing too.....http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/2008/random-pics/

This is the set that I do most often....4 ponytails, two rollers in each pony, huge rollers......http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/2008/tried-something-new/

Regular ponytail set about 11 ponytails, one roller per pony.....http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/roller-sets/hair_inspirations/

Drying time for all of these varies from about an hour and a half to 2 hours. I don't do anything over 2 hours:nono:.....if it's not dry by then forgettaboutit!!!:wallbash:

luckiestdestiny

My hair is natural and about hip-length now and I still rollerset with success....hate doing it but I can do it, lol. I have various ways of doing this, all of which involve ponytails. Ponytails is the only way I can do it without having a meltdown and choping my whole ponytail off:blush::spinning:.

This is the cheat set that I came up with when I'm really lazy. Results may vary but it works pretty well and it's good to stretch out the hair before flat ironing too.....http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/2008/random-pics/

This is the set that I do most often....4 ponytails, two rollers in each pony, huge rollers......http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/2008/tried-something-new/

Regular ponytail set about 11 ponytails, one roller per pony.....http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/roller-sets/hair_inspirations/

Drying time for all of these varies from about an hour and a half to 2 hours. I don't do anything over 2 hours:nono:.....if it's not dry by then forgettaboutit!!!:wallbash:

Just curious pokahontas I'm past MBl but not Waist length yet. What was your other option besides ponyset? You say you hate doing that now, what do you usually do? I know it's off topic but I want other options and I am natural. Thanks

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

Thank you Poka, if I ever want to rollerset now I know what to do :D

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Just curious pokahontas I'm past MBl but not Waist length yet. What was your other option besides ponyset? You say you hate doing that now, what do you usually do? I know it's off topic but I want other options and I am natural. Thanks
For rollersets ponysets are the only option unless I get someone else to do it. I shouldn't say I hate doing it but I'm just lazy with it now and it takes too long.....I don't always have the time. Doing sets takes up my whole day....I'm pooped after I'm done....nobody better not ask me to go nowhere:lachen:.

Usually I do wash n' go's, braid/twist-outs, twist n' curl's.....sometimes I'll band my hair and braid it or twist it for a more stretched out style. I've done everything....I've even wet wrapped it before but it's gotten too long for that now because it takes too long to dry all the way through.

yuriko

I love your hair. Most people i know with real long hair do flexi rods or ponytail rollersets. Good luck!

spinspinshuga

Your hair is stunning. More pictures, please! :)
When my hair was natural and hiplength+, my mother once did a traditional rollerset on it. It's possible, but as someone already stated, I wouldn't recommend doing it myself; I would have someone I trust do it for me. Otherwise, I'm sure your arms would be exhausted!
It also took about four hours under the dryer, so it's probably not something you'll want to do regularly...
If you do it, please post pictures!

kami11213

Gorgeous thick hair Yamilee... I don't have your problem so I can't help, I can't imagine rollersetting WL natural hair :nono:

yamilee21

Thank you for all the hair compliments. :blush: My hair only gets compliments when it has been beaten into submission on a no-humidity day, so this is very refreshing. :blush: :)

I used to do ponytail rollersets with foam rollers; I don't know why it never occurred to me to try it with hard rollers. Speaking of rollers, are the super-jumbo sized ones I saw on the Fotkis readily available? I don't think I have seen those sizes before, not that I knew to look anyway.

Are the bonnets on the Pibbs hair dryers much larger than the tabletop ones? I see quite a few raves for them, so if they are significantly bigger, getting one might be worthwhile.

audacity.

I'm glad you stopped by! I was thinking about this thread and was going to page you to come in and help our sista out!