rollersetting regimen

girlcherokee

hey there
what products do you use to do your rollersets? do you use heat protection at all when you go up under the dryers? does rollersetting change the way you moisturize your hair at all? what products do you use for daily moisture?

Blue_Berry

When I roller set I don't usually sit under the dryer. For moisture, I co-wash sometimes when I roller set. This helped my hair stop breaking. Also when I wanted more body, I do wash my hair, put setting lotion in my hair, and after I take the rollers out I moisturize. I don't use heavy moisturizers, because they would make my curls die down. Try using something light like Giovanni Direct Leave-In. Only get a pea size, rub it through your hands, and work it gently in your hair.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I've heard that some people using wrapping lotion before rollersetting. I'm hoping to try it soon.

girlcherokee

When I roller set I don't usually sit under the dryer. For moisture, I co-wash sometimes when I roller set. This helped my hair stop breaking. Also when I wanted more body, I do wash my hair, put setting lotion in my hair, and after I take the rollers out I moisturize. I don't use heavy moisturizers, because they would make my curls die down. Try using something light like Giovanni Direct Leave-In. Only get a pea size, rub it through your hands, and work it gently in your hair.

i never would have thought of co washing while rollersetting - but this sounds like a good idea - i guess i was in traditional mode with how it was done back in the day at the salon. hmmm - think i will try adding this to my arsenal - thanks!

I've heard that some people using wrapping lotion before rollersetting. I'm hoping to try it soon.
can you use wrapping lotion for this? has anyone tried it?
do any of you ladies have a steamer? has using this made a difference in the quality of your rollersets?

hillytmj

i use an inexpensive pre-mixed setting lotion called African Essences. I stopped using heat protectant because it took forever to dry. I still have to moisturize on a regular basis, and I use Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I'm under the dryer as I type this...I used Proclaim Olive Oil Wrapping Foam and a lil Chi Silk Infusion. I'll report back tomorrow on how the rollerset came out. Well actually I put in flexi-rods...

ETA: My curls are shiny and bouncy with a soft hold. A few are frizzy, but that's because they didn't dry all the way. Overall I'm pleased and I will def. use those 2 products for futrure rollersets.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
i've roller set with motions, lottabody, and water. of them all, plain water works the best (makes it look the silkiest) and dries quickest.

before roller setting i add leave in conditioner (with heat protectant), serum, and oil, apply water or setting lotion and then roller set. i'm new to the forum and am working on learning a good moisturizing, sealing, protein techniques.