rollerset with glycerin/aloe vera mixture?

ajoyfuljoy

Wassup ladies!

I just went on my lunch break and brought aloe vera juice, vegetable glycerin, orange essential oil and aloe vera gel (for my edges). I got all this from Whole Foods!

I'm thinking, if the aloe vera/glycerin mixture (I'll be putting SAA in there too) is such a great moisturizer, can't it also work for doing rollersets?!?

I might test a roller out tonight. But I want to see if anyone else has done this or thought about doing this.

If this works I just might be kissing NTM and Silicon Mix leave-in goodbye!

ajoyfuljoy

OK, well I just read during my google search that using a product that has lots of glycerin in it can make the hair sticky? So I'm not sure whether or not it will work in a rollerset but I'll still try.

Looking for other comments also...:look:

Windsy

I tried to use it as a moisturizer and it didn't work for me. made my hair sticky, hard and dry.

I have switched to Carnier Fruictis and activator combined.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I don't rollerset, so I can't speak on that portion of your question. Buuuuttt ... whenever I put glycerin in my hair, it attracts so much moisture from the air that my hair becomes poofy. Now glycerin is a natural humectant, so it's supposed to do that. But it's not such a good look when you're trying to get your hair to straighten out.

ajoyfuljoy

Ok, I did some more reading, apparently the stickiness factor depends on how much glycerin you put in the mix. One man I read about used 3-4 parts aloe vera to one part glycerine. So it might work! I will try this with the tester roller like I said and get back to yall.

ajoyfuljoy

I don't rollerset, so I can't speak on that portion of your question. Buuuuttt ... whenever I put glycerin in my hair, it attracts so much moisture from the air that my hair becomes poofy. Now glycerin is a natural humectant, so it's supposed to do that. But it's not such a good look when you're trying to get your hair to straighten out.

Interesting, I know that they were saying that it works for some and doesn't work for others. Apparently glycerin doesn't work in the winter cuz there isn't much for it to bind to out of the air. I'll probably put in more aloe vera than I do glycerin. I know some relaxed heads do still use this, so that gives me hope.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Ok, I did some more reading, apparently the stickiness factor depends on how much glycerin you put in the mix. One man I read about used 3-4 parts aloe vera to one part glycerine. So it might work! I will try this with the tester roller like I said and get back to yall.

Well I'll be darn. This makes sense. I may have to try this myself so I can start using it again without the poofiness.

Thanks for the tip. :grin:

poookie

Wassup ladies!

I just went on my lunch break and brought aloe vera juice, vegetable glycerin, orange essential oil and aloe vera gel (for my edges). I got all this from Whole Foods!

I'm thinking, if the aloe vera/glycerin mixture (I'll be putting SAA in there too) is such a great moisturizer, can't it also work for doing rollersets?!?

I might test a roller out tonight. But I want to see if anyone else has done this or thought about doing this.

If this works I just might be kissing NTM and Silicon Mix leave-in goodbye!

i tried something like this last night, and it turned out very nice. i used water, honey, glycerin, and SAA on dry hair... used enough to make my hair really damp, then i used flexi-rods. my hair wasn't sticky at all, and the curls came out very crisp (as in pretty, not crunchy:grin:)

ajoyfuljoy

i tried something like this last night, and it turned out very nice. i used water, honey, glycerin, and SAA on dry hair... used enough to make my hair really damp, then i used flexi-rods. my hair wasn't sticky at all, and the curls came out very crisp (as in pretty, not crunchy:grin:)

Yes Poookie, that's what I need to hear! Thanks girlie. You've given me hope. This would be quite the healthy rollerset...especially if you air dried. Snap, can't wait to get home and do my test roller :grin: