**Revlon Realistic Lye Relaxer**

zara

I am thinking of switching to Lye relaxer and Revlon Realistic seems to be the most affordable and accessible in my area(I live in Sydney, Australia). What are your thoughts on this relaxer? Have you have ever used it or heard comments from other people? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated:yawn:

sqzbly1908

Hi Zara - I used to use this relaxer years ago ...what strength do you have? It is not a bad relaxer, as with most relaxers a lot has to do with the application as this one can be a little strong. Even if you have very thick/course hair you could still get away with a mild or regular with good results.

HTH

zara

Hi Zara - I used to use this relaxer years ago ...what strength do you have? It is not a bad relaxer, as with most relaxers a lot has to do with the application as this one can be a little strong. Even if you have very thick/course hair you could still get away with a mild or regular with good results.

HTH

Thanks. I think they have mild and regular at my BSS. So from what you say, mild would be suitable for my 4b hair...

sunshinebeautiful

Thanks. I think they have mild and regular at my BSS. So from what you say, mild would be suitable for my 4b hair...

Will you be self-applying? How straight do you want your hair to be? I like mine with a little texture left after relaxing so I use the mild formula.

sunshinebeautiful

Good to know! Have you used No Lye relaxer before? How does it compare if you have?

No. I always use a lye relaxer. Just based off of recommendations from an old stylist (I moved away), she said that lye was better for my hair, so I've stuck with that. Also, when my hair was healthiest and longest under her care, we were using Revlon relaxers so I just stuck with it. I've tried other relaxers, but I always end up coming back to this one. :yep:

zara

Will you be self-applying? How straight do you want your hair to be? I like mine with a little texture left after relaxing so I use the mild formula.

I will be self applying, I guess I want it straight with a bit of texture, not bone strait and not texlaxed if that makes sense. I am currently texlaxed though, I know, my hair is all over the place:lachen:

sqzbly1908

If you have mild - that is even better as it will give you more time to apply and get the results you want (if u are self relaxing)

Angelicus

I used the regular formula to relax my hair a few months ago. I agree that it is an effective relaxer, even though I'm not the best self-relaxer in the world.

zara

I used the regular formula to relax my hair a few months ago. I agree that it is an effective relaxer, even though I'm not the best self-relaxer in the world.

Are you now using something else? Why the switch? Your hair looks great BTW

Angelicus

Are you now using something else? Why the switch? Your hair looks great BTW
It was the last relaxer that I used. I haven't relaxed since then. Honestly, I don't remember the last time that I relaxed and that's why I finally started keeping a hard copy hair journal to monitor my progress.

The Revlon Realistic got the hair somewhat straight (which is very hard for someone like me). I am going to relax this week with Revlon again. I will probably buy Super and put some oil in it too.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
This is the best relaxer I ever used for texlaxing my hair. I loved using it and I never damaged my hair with it. My damage came from trying to use another relaxer to get my texlaxed hair straiter.:rolleyes:

candita

after relaxer-hunting, this is my relaxer. I self-relax but when I get my $$ together and go to my hair lady, this is also what she uses. For most relaxers, esp. when I was using no-lye, I'd have to use a super on my hair. With the Realistic, the regular strength works fine unless I'm more than 10 weeks post. It gets my hair straight while being the most gentle on my hair compared to others I tried.

prospurr4

This is my staple relaxer, and I've used the regular formula for MANY years. When I used it to relax my hair straight, I processed my hair for the recommended time, and it got my 4b hair as straight as possible. Meaning, I have some resistant areas that I think no relaxer can straighten completely, :ohwell: which explains why I am now a texlaxer.

I texlax with this relaxer by using it for half the recommended time, with great results.

Last edited:

zara

This is my staple relaxer, and I've used the regular formula for MANY years. When I used it to relax my hair straight, I processed my hair for the recommended time, and it got my 4b hair as straight as possible. Meaning, I have some resistant areas that I think no relaxer can straighten completely, :ohwell: which explains why I am now a texlaxer.

I texlax with this relaxer by using it for half the recommended time, with great results.

I may have to try it based on your hair:rolleyes:......gorgeous

Live4Me

I used this relaxer when I was in high school in the mild formula and I had srtaight hair that felt great. I used to wash n go all the time too! But I did read somewhere that the Revlon relaxers are different than they were a few years ago, that's why I haven't switched back yet. How did it work out for you?