Remember Miss Kool 5 Minute Set? Let's Create Our Own!

RossBoss

I used to love this product but they discontinued it, so i began to look for a similar alternative. Before I made my pledge to stop patronizing Korean stores completely some years ago, I found a knockoff 5 minute set called "Quick Set styling System". I scooped up 2 bottles. It is pink and the same texture as the Miss Kool that I remember. I still have 1 whole bottle and 1/3 of a bottle left, so that shows I have not been using it that much over the years but I am really getting back on my nightly roller setting game so I imagine what I have will be gone by next year. These bottles are at least 6 years old or even older but they seem to still be good, but I will not patronize an Asian BSS store for a replacement.

I wanted to see if we could create our own homemade version. A search of this forum shows that there is still some interest in Miss Kool, so why don't we see if we can create a healthier version of our own. I will list the ingredients stated on the bottle:

1. Water
2. Glycerin
3. Cetyl Alcohol
4. Propylene Glycol
5. Myristamidopropyl Dimethylamine Phosphate
6. Silk Amino Acids
7. Collagen
8. Acetamide MEA
9. DM DM Hydantoin
10. Fragrance
11. Mink Oil
12. Methylparaben
13. F D & C Red #40

The mink oil, SAA, glycerin and collagen would seem to be a keeper since these ingredients are safe for the hair. What else would you leave out and replace it with to ensure a good 5 minute set as well as making something that is safe and non-toxic for the hair?

crlsweetie912

I think the hard part would be the mink oil. I remember a few years ago when lacio lacio changed to omit the mink oil it was said that there were some regulations that didn't permit it to be imported here anymore.....

RossBoss

I think the hard part would be the mink oil. I remember a few years ago when lacio lacio changed to omit the mink oil it was said that there were some regulations that didn't permit it to be imported here anymore.....

I see. Then in that case, the best thing to do would be to use an oil that your hair really loves and that moisturizes well since I think the mink oil is just for moisture anyway.

crlsweetie912

I see. Then in that case, the best thing to do would be to use an oil that your hair really loves and that moisturizes well since I think the mink oil is just for moisture anyway.

YES!
What I usually use that gives me SUPER results is about 1 part lottabody to 2 parts water, one squirt of lacio lacio and a squirt of my favorite oil. I love Keracare essential oils, but it's expensive. I most recently tried BB growth oil and it's REALLY GREAT! So my mix seems to be kind mirroring whats in the miss Kool. I think I might have seen this stuff in the bss one day......

RossBoss

YES!
What I usually use that gives me SUPER results is about 1 part lottabody to 2 parts water, one squirt of lacio lacio and a squirt of my favorite oil. I love Keracare essential oils, but it's expensive. I most recently tried BB growth oil and it's REALLY GREAT! So my mix seems to be kind mirroring whats in the miss Kool. I think I might have seen this stuff in the bss one day......

I was thinking about doing this, but this is more of a liquid, while Miss Kool was more of a thick gel. Remember now, the whole point of Miss Kool is for 5 minute sets or overnight sets so you don't want to make the hair too wet just very slightly damp, which is why it was formulated as a gel/cream rather than a liquid. I only use actual liquid setting lotions for the initial rollerset after I wash my hair, but i want to use a use a gel/cream for the nightly upkeep so that it will be dry by the time I take the rollers out.

faithVA

I like the idea. Will help if I can. First I need to look up what the existing ingredients are used for to know how to replace them.

RossBoss

I like the idea. Will help if I can. First I need to look up what the existing ingredients are used for to know how to replace them.

Great! I guess it doesn't have to be pink so we can leave out the color, I am just wondering how to make it into a gel like cream so that it does not wet the hair too much.

faithVA

Great! I guess it doesn't have to be pink so we can leave out the color, I am just wondering how to make it into a gel like cream so that it does not wet the hair too much.

There are natural thickeners, like guar gum and xantham? gum or something like that. I have guar gum but have never used it. But probably a thickener like that would make it more of a gel.

I am surprised it has glycerin so high on the list.

RossBoss

Hmm, I was sitting here thinking that maybe a CREAM-type leave in conditioner could work as sort of a base instead of a liquid leave in, and then add the oil of your choice, glycerin, SAA and collagen to replicate this? The key to it all is that it needs to be the consistency of a cream and not too heavy. Miss Kool is the texture of a conditioner now that I think about it.

RossBoss

There are natural thickeners, like guar gum and xantham? gum or something like that. I have guar gum but have never used it. But probably a thickener like that would make it more of a gel.

I am surprised it has glycerin so high on the list.

Why are you surprised that glycerin is high on the list?

So are guar gum and xantham good for the hair?

crlsweetie912

I was thinking about doing this, but this is more of a liquid, while Miss Kool was more of a thick gel. Remember now, the whole point of Miss Kool is for 5 minute sets or overnight sets so you don't want to make the hair too wet just very slightly damp, which is why it was formulated as a gel/cream rather than a liquid. I only use actual liquid setting lotions for the initial rollerset after I wash my hair, but i want to use a use a gel/cream for the nightly upkeep so that it will be dry by the time I take the rollers out.
Great point. I didn't know about that.....would aloe gel be too "wet"?

faithVA

Why are you surprised that glycerin is high on the list?

So are guar gum and xantham good for the hair?

Because glycerin can be quite sticky and cause the hair to pouf in certain weather. Many of the ladies on the board won't use a product with glycerin. I rarely do.

But this is probably the ingredient that made my hair the softest, since there is so much of it.

Guar Gum and Xantham are both natural products versus the ingredients on the original label. So they are considered better substitutes. I'm not qualified really to say if they are good for the hair.

RossBoss

Great point. I didn't know about that.....would aloe gel be too "wet"?

Wow, that would be perfect! Light and gel-like is the goal and I think aloe gel would fit the bill, plus it's natural to boot! So you could use aloe gel or your favorite creamy leave in as a base, then add your favorite oil, SAA, glycerin and collagen. If you want to add a scent, maybe a few drops of essential oil to the aloe gel would do the trick, if you use a creamy leave in, that may already be scented.

faithVA

Hmm, I was sitting here thinking that maybe a CREAM-type leave in conditioner could work as sort of a base instead of a liquid leave in, and then add the oil of your choice, glycerin, SAA and collagen to replicate this? The key to it all is that it needs to be the consistency of a cream and not too heavy. Miss Kool is the texture of a conditioner now that I think about it.

I did use a conditioner last time I used curlformers. It did work pretty well. But haven't used it enough to say if it needed anything. But it was a conditioner I purchased at at an expo and I don't know the ingredients.

faithVA

Wow, that would be perfect! Light and gel-like is the goal and I think aloe gel would fit the bill, plus it's natural to boot! So you could use aloe gel or your favorite creamy leave in as a base, then add your favorite oil, SAA, glycerin and collagen. If you want to add a scent, maybe a few drops of essential oil to the aloe gel would do the trick, if you use a creamy leave in, that may already be scented.

You would still need a thickener with AVG it is still very runny and once the oil is added and other ingredients it would not be a gel like consistency. But it could be used as a base instead of the water or by reducing the amount of water.

kittenz

I want to help but I'm not familiar with the product. You could use flax seed to make a gel base...

RossBoss

You would still need a thickener with AVG it is still very runny and once the oil is added and other ingredients it would not be a gel like consistency. But it could be used as a base instead of the water or by reducing the amount of water.

I see. I am not much of a mixologist to know what works well with what. I guess if you didn't feel like messing with thickener you could just use the creamy leave in instead. I did not plan to add water at all even though it's the first ingredient on the label. I figure that a creamy leave in would already have it.

firecracker

I have been missing this product for eons. I was just complaining that I need it in my life really bad for my braidouts to hold and be lustrous. WAHHHHHHHHHHHH nothing can replace it. So whatchalgondo?

Dee-Licious

BLACK N SASSY CREAMY SET SETTING CREAM 16 OZ works great for me

http://beauty4family.com/index.php?...&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=598&Itemid=64