relaxer burn help

niqu92

yesterday i went to get a touchup after being about 2.5 months post, i went to a new salon which was highly recommended (iicons salon in atl) and i really liked it until the stylist applied the relaxer. omg i had never experienced such pain in my life she left the relaxer on for only 2min until i felt like i was about to die then she hurried up and rinsed it out. i asked her what relaxer she used and she said Affirm regular...my old stylist used Mizzani but i had heard good things about Affirm on this site so i was confused as to why my scalp burned the way it did. well, today i woke up with basicly humongous scabs on my scalp and theyre extremley sore. ive never been burned by a relaxer so i dont know what to do to help treat it so if you ladies could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance

hothair

Don't pick at it. Use a petroleum base (vaseline is good) on your scalp and leave it alone. It will flake off soon, as long as you don't also have blisters which may need an antibacterial ointment (neosprin).

Do you know why that happened? Have you been scratching your scalp? Or maybe you got an allergic reaction (two mins is really short to burn from a relaxer)

niqu92

i dont know why it happened i hadnt been scratching my scalp prior to the relaxer i think it may have been an allergic reaction because i dont see how my scalp could burn so bad in only 2min. thanks for your advice i have some petroleum jelly on me so i'll give it a try

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Dont pick at it whatever you do, it will cause you to lose hair prematurely.

do as the other ladies suggested.

I would also suggest co-washing everyday to speed up the scab removal, just remember to moisture protein balance. This is what I did the last time I had a burn.

You will have some shedding because the scabbing will suffocate your follicle. There is nothing you can do to prevent it or stop it.

The sooner you get rid of the scabbing through co-washing the less shedding you will have.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I second the aloe. Dumping aloe on my head after a relaxer saved my scalp many times. :yep:

GoodMernin

Sorry to hear that happened to you.

This is exactly why I stopped relaxing. I was burned badly too but thank goodness my hair did not fall out.

From my own experience, I can only tell you to not put those chemicals on your head.

I only flat iron if I want it straight.

kupenda

Aww. Im so sorry to hear that OP. I second the aloe and cowashing. My sister used to get burns everytime she got a relaxer. Of course my mom thought it was out of her control and never considered having my sis go natural. So we just put neosporin on the burns and didn't comb or brush that area at all. I hope you recover quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

niqu92

thank you for the tips everyone :] i bought aloe vera gel and applied it to the spots that were burned and i also had some left over vitamin E oil so i used some too.
Im very nervous about cowashing/wetting my hair when i went to go buy the aloe vera gel at the beauty supply i told the lady that was working there what happened and she said that i should use a reconstructor/ deep protein treatment and then use a moisturizing DC after. A part of me wants to wait a couple days until i wash my hair but another part of me wants to wash my hair now

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Your scalp was affected not your hair.

I dont understand how doing those things will help your scalp. Maybe they will assist in lifting the scabbing but I dont think wasting product will do you much better than using good old fashioned water. If you do co-was allow the water to hit the scalp areas that are affected a bit and massage a tiny bit after wards while the water has hit to loosen the scab DONT pick though.

Apply the aloe after washing. The aloe will only help once the scab is lifted not before. YOu want it to get on the scalp under the scab as quickly as possible.

Its your call.

Honi

There is no board.
I agree with most that was said. Do not forcefully remove the scab. Your scalp was injured (chemical burn) and oozed resulting in a scab which is like natures band-aid. Let it flake off on it's own as you apply what was suggested. Don't try to comb it off or scratch it off, etc. If you try to remove it too soon before it completely heals....:ohwell: :nono:

sunnieb

niqu92 - I have no advice since I've never had a relaxer burn, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I hope your scalp recovers soon.

I left my stylist and began self-relaxing because she switched to Affirm without telling me. Affirm didn't burn me, but it left my hair limp. My relaxers turn out 200% better now that I do them myself using Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Everyone has given you good advice. Just stopping by to wish you well. Know relaxer burn is painful.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
When I used to have burns from relaxers, I would slather the scabs with petroleum jelly and not wash and add water until the scabs dried up. Then I would gently comb out the flakes before washing. I dunno know about washing your hair with your scalp in that condition but it's your call.

LaidBak

Emu oil and Vitamin E oil mix on your scalp. Gently apply once or twice a day. Don't otherwise manipulate, scrub, comb, or disturb the scabs. let them heal and flake off on their own time.
Next time, make sure your scalp is based before relaxing!!

niqu92

sunnieb yeah i can see what you mean, Affirm left my hair very limp this is the first relaxer that left my hair bone straight and i only had it on for literally 2min. i dont like it at all

ive been oiling my scalp every day with vitamin E oil,this whole week ive been praying to god asking not to let my hair fall out..so far so good lol. I let my mom look at my scalp and she said everything should be fine within 2wks so im hoping she's right. I just washed my hair with Shea Moisture and im about to DC. My hair is fine my scabs are slowly going away but i hate how Affirm left my hair so limp and thin :( , i dont want to use anything harsh on my scalp for a while so im just going to stick to the Shea Moisture line and i'll continue to use Vitamin E oil on my scalp. Thankyou so much for the advice ladies yall are a God send lol