Relaxed Newbie Question on Protein/Moisture

Loving

Just a quick question for the relaxed ladies here. I have been reading here that one of the tips for growing healthy relaxed hair is to DC weekly. Should I therefore DC after my protein treatment? I currently do a protein treatment every 2 weeks.

Thanks

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
you should most def DC after every protein treatment. that is a mandatory step. :) there is no skipping that step when utilizing protein or you'll get major breakage. :(

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Loving

Do I have to go back under the hooded dryer after the protein treatment with the DC in? I get my hair done at the salon now but I am planning to start washing my hair on my own once I get the hang of it all.

sunnieb

What protein treatment are you using? Is it a heavy protein or a light one?

I dc with Motions CPR (light protein) every 2 weeks. I don't dc with anything else afterwards. I have zero breakage.

Sent from my Comet

Loving

What protein treatment are you using? Is it a heavy protein or a light one?

I dc with Motions CPR (light protein) every 2 weeks. I don't dc with anything else afterwards. I have zero breakage.

Sent from my Comet

I am currently using Mizani Reconstructing Masque. I am not sure if its heavy or light.

Aireen

It definitely depends on what treatment you're using. For the most part you should definitely deep condition after a protein treatment with a MOISTURIZING deep conditioner. "Moisturizing" being the operative word since you don't want to use protein on top of protein because it can lead to breakage.

Like sunnieb was saying though, if it's light protein like Motions CPR, you don't need to follow up with anything really. If you can't tell whether or not you should use another product after using protein, go by how your hair feels? Is it soft with slip (Motions CPR leaves my hair that way, with even MORE slip than moisturizing conditioners) or is it hard yet strong? If the latter, your hair needs to be balanced so deep condition with something moisturizing.

Welcome to LHCF, happy hair growing. :grin:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Do I have to go back under the hooded dryer after the protein treatment with the DC in? I get my hair done at the salon now but I am planning to start washing my hair on my own once I get the hang of it all.

that's entirely up to you. sometimes its best to do what the instructions say. however I usually DC after my protein treatment with a cap for 2 hours and just do things around the house instead going back under the dryer. your body heat is also good enough. :)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Loving

I really need to start doing my hair myself so I can take care of it as it should be taken care of. I am just so new at this I am scared that I will spoil it. I spend so many hours here reading tips not to mention the numberless Youtube videos I have watched. :perplexed

I really want my hair to grow....

LaidBak

It moreso depends on the type of hair you have. I have fine, 4 textured, relaxed hair. Its super important that I follow up even a light protein treatment with a moisturizing conditioner. It took me almost 8 months of breakage, frustration, and setbacks when I first started out before I finally figured it out. I think 3 textured relaxed hair reacts differently.

For example...If I go light with the protein, say Aphogee 2 Minute, then I go light with the moisture right afterward. In that scenario I'm talking just a few minutes of each while washing my hair in the shower.
If I go hard with the protein, like Aphogee 2 Step, then I follow with a more intense moisture DC. Mizani Intense Moisturizing treatment is a good one, and in this scenario I go under the dryer for both steps.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Some do, some don't. I always do regardless of protein strength to minimize protein overload potential.

ETA: Loving when I was a newbie asking questions, I would get a range of answers leaving me more confused. For safekeeping, I say use a moisturizing DC afterwards until you learn what your hair prefers.

Sent from my DROIDX

Oh snap! I see my girls Divyachik and SunnieB, aka the relaxed queens, so you know the advice is going to be on!! :grin: So I have a question also. After a protein, I'd rather be safe than sorry, so what moisturizing dcs are there that you ladies use? :yep:

sunnieb

@divachyk I agree with your ETA. A moisturizing dc after a protein treatment can't hurt until she sees what her hair likes.

@WhippedButterCreme - I use Nexxus Humectress for my moisturizing dc's. However, I've just started using WEN this week and I'll start incorporating that into my moisturizing routine.

Last edited:

sunnieb

This is some great info I pulled from Sistaslick's article on associated press:

Protein Treatments:Used for rebuilding the hair. Frequency of use depends on the strength of the treatment you are using and the level of damage you are attempting to correct. Please follow manufacturer's instructions for these products! Some protein reconstructors have specific time schedules and directions for use. Select one (1) protein treatment on the light to mild end of the spectrum for light touch ups and select another (1) protein treatment on the moderate to heavy end for more intense protein conditioning. Protein reconstructors should be followed by moisturizing deep conditioners to restore moisture and pliability to the hair.

Examples: Joico K-Pac (mild), Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Recon. (mild/moderate), Elasta Qp Anti Breakage serum, LeKair Cholesterol (mild/moderate), Motions CPR(mild/moderate), Nexxus Emergencee (moderate), Nexxus Keraphix (moderate), ORS Mayo (moderate), Elucence Extended Moisture Repair, Affirm 5 n 1, Dudley's DRC (heavy), Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair (heavy)

Here's the full article:
http://voices.yahoo.com/hair-regimen-building-newbies-408289.html?cat=69

sunnieb

And back to divachyk's point about doing a moisturizing dc after a protein - I think my hair does well because I cowash 3-4 times weekly. My hair is always getting a moisture boost so I never worry about doing a moisturizing dc after my protein treatments.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
WhippedButterCreme - I play around with many conditioners as that's my favorite PJ item. My staple that I quote when asked is Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. It will deliver when nothing else will. WEN is a great product.

Loving, My hair differs from sunnieb because I have low porosity which means I require less protein and more moisture. I have to be careful when using protein as my hair easily protein overloads. Again, use moisture after your protein tx until learning your hair.