Moisture/Protein Balance Questions - All Hair Types

prettybyrd

Ladies, I have a few questions:

1. If you DC w/ a moisturizing treatment weekly, how often do you use a protein treatment? Do you use one?
  2. Is there a difference between a reconstructor and a protein treatment?
  3. How do you know if you have the right moisture/protein balance?
  4. How do you correct a moisture/protein balance issue?
  5. Which moisture and protein treatments can you recommend?

TIA!

CurlsBazillion

1. If you DC w/ a moisturizing treatment weekly, how often do you use a protein treatment? Do you use one? I normally wait to see if I need the protein treatment instead of making it a scheduled thing. Just when I start seeing short peices then I'll do the protein treatment right thena and there. I use Joico K-Pak right now.
2.Is there a difference between a reconstructor and a protein treatment? I think a reconstructor isn't as strong and aggresive as a protein treatment. I want to try one so i can have more protein more often in my regimen
3. How do you know if you have the right moisture/protein balance? My hair has some elasticity to it, I can pull a strand and feel it stretch and not snap.
4. How do you correct a moisture/protein balance issue? By using the opposite to it
For moisture Elucence MB and for Protein Joico K-Pak

30something

1) If you DC w/ a moisturizing treatment weekly, how often do you use a protein treatment? Do you use one?
I use Aphogee 2 minute which is considered a light-mild reconstructor, Apogee 2 step/ Nexxus Emergencee. I use Aphogee 2 minute about once a month excluding months where I use a hardcore treatment. I use Aphogee 2 step / Nexxus Emergencee about every 2-3 months.

2) Is there a difference between reconstructor and protein treatment.
I really don't know, but I know there a difference between lighter protein conditioners and the hardcore treatments.

3) How do you know if you have the right moisture/protein balance?
If my hair is breaking more then usually, or if my hair feels overly moisturized after co washing more then I usually do.

4)How do you correct a moisture/protein balance issue?
Aphogee 2 step, Nexxus Emergencee, I never really have a problem because my hair is pretty simple I pretty much know when I'll need to certain things to my hair

5) Which moisture and protein treatments can you recommend?
Aphogee line, Nexxus Emergencee, or 1-2 eggs and a conditioner

I'm natural and use heat

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
1. If you DC w/ a moisturizing treatment weekly, how often do you use a protein treatment? Do you use one?
When needed, I use 1-2 tablespoons of full fat, plain yogurt in my DC. My hair is very protein sensitive and a little goes a long way for me.

A reconstructor tends to be much stronger that a regular protein treatment and should be used with great care.

I don't see the little broken hairs (~1/8 - 1/4") when I comb my hair.

More moisture if you think use have too much protein. More protein if you think you have too much moisture.

I keep thing really simple these days:
a. Protein - full fat, plain yogurt. Cheap and easy. Just add to your regular DC.
b. Moisture - Co-wash with conditioner of choice, use the right leave-in. For me that's Alta Ego Coconut and/or Garlic conditioner (the regular conditioner) on wash day. Thereafter it's Shea Moisture Coconut (pink label) Styling Milk, until my next wash day.

NaturalEnigma

Ladies, I have a few questions:

1. If you DC w/ a moisturizing treatment weekly, how often do you use a protein
treatment? Do you use one?

- I'm natural. In the beginning of my natural hair journey I stuck to my old relaxed regimen which was washing weekly, and using a protein and moisturizing
conditioner. Over time I realized that my hair didn't need weekly protein
treatments, so I just used moisturizing conditioners. My hair grew a lot after I did
that change. I actually think too much protein was detrimental for my hair. Fast
forward to today. I now have moisture overload. My hair looks limp and breaks a
lot. So now I think I'm going to incorporate once every two weeks to maintain the
moisture/protein balance in my hair.

Yes a reconstructor is twice as strong as a regular protein treatment.

I haven't figured that out yet. Usually my when my hair starts breaking I know I
need protein. When my hair is dry, that tells me I need moisture.

Well in my case I have moisture overload so now I'm going to
incorporate protein in my regimen. I'm still going to have moisture in my regimen
though, but I'm not going to take it to the extreme. Even though my hair has
moisture overload, my hair still needs moisture after doing my protein treatment.

Moisture: Aubrey Organics Honey suckle Rose, Yes to Carrots conditioner,
(Honey, coconut oil, and olive oil, are great additives in any deep conditioner),
Protein: Aubrey Organics Blue Green Algae Mask, Aubrey Organics GPB,Aphogee
two minute conditioner.

sherrimberri

CurlsBazillion said:
sherrimberri, I know you weren't directing your post to me but I would follow directions to the T on hard protiens/chemical protiens.

i wasnt sure because i read reviews where people used heat but thats not on the directions. Thanks for your response.

30something

@20Something I just purchased Nexxus emergencee. Do you follow the directions on the bottle exactly or do you use heat? Thanks

I use it with heat under warm/ hot drier until it hardens. Instead of using the hot standing drier I'll use the a blower drier too.. 10 minutes and about 6 inches away from my actual hair with the hand held blow drier is fine.