Relaxed Ladies with Thick Hair - What's your Secret???

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
For the sake of this thread, I want to hear from fully relaxed ladies.

Relaxed ladies who don't have thin, limp, see-through hair - what's your secret??? Before you began your HHJ, what did your hair look like?
My hair has always been considered long and thick by IRL standards even when I was neglectful to it.

What do you think contributed to your thick hair?
I would like to say genetics but my hair is not a reflection of what the rest of my family's hair looks like. They have shorter/thinner hair. They, however, are not on a HHJ, so the verdict is out on the secret but for the sake of answering the question, I will say genetics.

Any other tips/tricks/techniques you can think of?
Protective styling and weekly DCing/steaming have improved length retention. My hair's thickness is the same now as before. My temples are fuller now than previously thanks to jbco.

Finally, PICS! Come on ladies, show of those pics of your thick relaxed hair!! Doesn't matter if you're EL, WL, or anywhere in between.
See LHCF blog

taz007

July 2007- 100% natural. I fought and fought against the single strand knots and dryness. Lost that battle :nono:. LHCF would have really helped!

November 2007 - Pressed 100% natural hair. Totally see-through, thin and damaged. My bangs fell out (note the "comb from back" bangs :nono:). I ended up using "Photoshop" to "touch up" my hair in this holiday photo.:nono:

June 2008 - Found LHCF in January 2009 after my "Comb from back" bangs completely fell out.:nono: I did my first Phyto II relaxer here.

December 2008 - Joined the APL by December 2009 Challenge:clap: (Best thing EVER!)

June 2009 - Mid-challenge results (I had a MAJOR Mizani Butter Blends setback after this photo. Phyto forever!)

January 2011 (I believe)

I will take a more recent photo in about two weeks and add it to my siggy.

The three things that I did to make my hair thicker:

1) Drastically reduced the amount of direct heat
2) Protein/Moisture balance with Joico products
3) Covering the previously relaxed hair with neutralizing shampoo/vaseline during my relaxing process (Oh and getting rid of my stylist)

Last edited:

isioma85

Relaxed ladies who don't have thin, limp, see-through hair - what's your secret??? Before you began your HHJ, what did your hair look like?

Broken off and damaged. Hella damaged :nono: I have always been relaxed, but my problem was usually relaxers not 'taking' , and having a head of underprocessed, thick brush. And I would always put relaxer on my ends :blush: I cringe now just thinking about what I used to do.

I will say genetics. I was born bald :lol: and I had my hair cut to a buzz fade twice growing up because it kept growing lopsided :crazy: but it always grows back thick and breaks combs.

Stretching is a key factor for me. Now that I have learned how to properly self relax, my hair can look and feel relatively thin soon after a relaxer, which I HATE :nono:. Stretching increases the length of time between the chemical rollercoaster of the relaxing process IMO. You have to be careful to relax on time though, breaking at the demarcation line can leave you with thin ends and thick roots :down:

***Adding Protein*** I used to think I didn't need protein because I had such thick hair. Wrong. The hair was thick, but breaking off = no growth. Adding protein made my hair a little thicker, but a LOT stronger :yep:

Reducing Heat/Using A Protectant
It's up to you to know your hair, but for me I know I can use heat (not everyday though) as long as I have a good protectant. I didn't have one for a long time, but once I added one to my regimen it made a WORLD of difference. A heat styled head that was still full and thick vs one that looked chewed up once the styling products left it.

Protective Styling
The less you play with your hair, the more hair you'll have on your head, quite simply :lol:

Finally, PICS! Come on ladies, show of those pics of your thick relaxed hair!! Doesn't matter if you're EL, WL, or anywhere in between.

Last edited:

NYDee

taz007, your hair is really an inspiration. I doubt my hair will ever get as full as yours since i have thin strands but I'm encouraged. Are you texlazed or fully relaxed?

About applying neutralizing shampoo to your hair before relaxer, do you let it dry before you relax? How do you prevent it from getting on the new growth?

niqu92

Before you began your HHJ, what did your hair look like?

my hair was always long,thick,and healthy before my HHJ so i never really "started" a HHJ because ive pretty much been on a HHJ all my life lol

honestly....i think genetics is what contributed to my hair being so thick lol ive done so much stuff to it to the point that im suprised my hair isnt thin and broken off by now.

when i joined LHCF in october i got really excited and purchased a bunch of products and did all types of things to my hair,i also decided to go without trimming for more than 6months:nono: and as a result my hair suffered big time so 2wks ago i had to cut from almost WL to 2inches past BSL:ohwell:. prior to LHCF my regimen was really simple,it wasnt until recently i realized all you need is a simple and effective regimen to have healthy/long hair

i dont flat iron my hair much i usually do braidouts but i workout almost everyday so sometimes i'll co-wash and tie my hair up. i stretch my relaxers for 9wks, i found out 9 is my limit because after 9wks my hair starts breaking like crazy.i always use coconut oil it keeps my hair soft and moisturized and i love the smell

[All of my pics are from before i cut my hair,i havnt taken any pics of my hair yet because i havnt had the time]

March 2010.

septembr 2010. i think my head may have been tilted a little bit in this one

october 2010 braidout

nov2010 braidout

jan2011

Last edited:

taz007

@taz007, your hair is really an inspiration. I doubt my hair will ever get as full as yours since i have thin strands but I'm encouraged. Are you texlazed or fully relaxed?

About applying neutralizing shampoo to your hair before relaxer, do you let it dry before you relax? How do you prevent it from getting on the new growth?

Thank you!

I think that I am in between fully relaxed and texlaxed as I leave the relaxer in for 20 minutes and comb through it but I mix some goodies into the relaxer.

I do not let the mixture dry when applying Vaseline/neutralizing shampoo to my previously relaxed hair. It took a while to learn how not to ovelap the mix onto the new growth.

Here is a link to how I relax my hair:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=470056

Oh and here is a pic of my 85% air dried hair:

browniemiss

Any other tips/tricks/techniques you can think of? Stretching is a key factor for me. Now that I have learned how to properly self relax, my hair can look and feel relatively thin soon after a relaxer, which I HATE :nono:. Stretching increases the length of time between the chemical rollercoaster of the relaxing process IMO.

I hate this, too. I dont like a "fresh perm" because it makes my hair looks thinner. I prefer the way my hair gets as the perm gets older. The pic in my avi is right after a perm, while the pic in my siggie is a couple of months post relaxer. Looks like two different heads of hair. :lol:

BTW, how long do you stretch?

I recently just learned something about my hair. In the last few months, I got really lazy when it came to deep conditioning. For a long time, my hair would often shed most around 10 to 12 weeks, which is when I usually get a relaxer. I just thought it was "normal". I was ready to make an appt for my relaxer, but this shedding/breaking was freaking me out. This time around, I wanted to hold off on relaxing until I got this shedding under control. I did a deep condition w/ ORS (30 minutes under the dryer, plus overnight - overnight was due to laziness), washed/conditioned with One n' Only Argan Oil Moisture Shampoo and Moisture Conditioner. The breaking/shedding stopped IMMEDIATELY! I dont know which product (the deep conditioning or the shampoo/conditioner) is responsible for it but I am EXCITED. I can stretch a tad bit longer and I can have better control over this shedding that I thought was normal all of this time.

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

I know OT wanted relaxed ladies responses. However, if it's okay, I would like to respond about my past.

See, I've been on & off the fence about going back to relaxing because honestly my hair was the healthiest then. I wish I had pictures but back then I only knew about Wanakee & had no reason to take pics.

Before I defected on the best stylist ever, I had full MBL, thick from roots to ends, hair. My stylist didn't believe in a bone straight relaxer. I relaxed no sooner than every 3 months, no longer than every 4 months.

I used Affirm Fiberguard. I never used direct heat. I simply washed (jojoba oil prepoo) & DCed weekly & did a rollerset. I used Wanakee's end creme & oil to moisturize & seal.

For the most part my hair stayed under a silk scarf & was always in a protective style. I only got protein treatments with my touch-ups.

I literally owned 6 hair products: Shampoo, Conditioner, Jojoba Oil, Wanakee Ends Creme, Wanakee Hair Oil & Lottabody setting lotion.

No magic growth aids, nothing.

When & if I get tired of this curl again, I will be going back to this routine & relaxing.

chicha

Before it started falling out Genetics. I naturally had alot of hair. And I didnt even take care of it.

Now I do any and everything to help.

BillsBackerz67

I havent really been relaxed that long but the only thing that's making it seem thick is my blunt cut. Ill know more about my relaxed hair as it grows.

blackberry815

My hair was a HAM because I was deployed and had no idea how to take care of it. I overprocessed it with relaxers, used high heat just about everyday, and didn't know what a deep conditioner was.

Enough was enough.

I was able to quickly rebound thanks for the Aphogee line and regular deep conditioning. I say in less than a month, my chronic breakage and dry scalp stopped. I credit that to the reconstructor.

I went through many phases, haircuts, trims, and bandwagons but still made steady progress.

April 2009

I got on cruise control (but still a PJ) with washing, DC and rollersetting.

March 2010 (I was transitioning with the BKT)

I bc'd and spent 10 months natural.

I relaxed in April 2011 - well texlaxed because my stylist couldn't straighten me out in time with Mizani BB.

My hair is in excellent condition. My regimen is uber simple and my hair is very happy. I have virtually no breakage, my ends are in excellent condition, I use heat frequently about weekly), and shedding is not noticeable. Now, I'm just enjoying my hair and growing it out.

My regimen link is in my siggy.

Your Cheeziness who did ur bkt?

Sent from my ADR6400L

star78

My hair was a HAM because I was deployed and had no idea how to take care of it. I overprocessed it with relaxers, used high heat just about everyday, and didn't know what a deep conditioner was.

Enough was enough.
[

I had length but you could literally see through my hair. It was terrible. I just recently had it cut and in the back, my ends look a little like your first pic in 2008. I hope that mine fills out one day again and my ends become thicker and healthier like yours. Very pretty!

Your Cheeziness

I had length but you could literally see through my hair. It was terrible. I just recently had it cut and in the back, my ends look a little like your first pic in 2008. I hope that mine fills out one day again and my ends become thicker and healthier like yours. Very pretty!

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't believe in ends filling out. The longer it got, the ends were still see through because of past breakage. So...snip, snip.

beans4reezy

Before you began your HHJ, what did your hair look like?
Straight busted. Thin, dry, and relaxed bone straight:

This is me- summer 2010:

I wouldn't call my hair thick- but I do feel as if I've regained thickness I lost due to not caring for my hair preperly- but my tricks of the trade are
  • I'm a super stretcher- I only relax once a year
  • I texturize- the relaxer only stays on for 5-10 mins. My hair dresser puts in on and then rinses it right out.
  • Very little direct heat- I only straighten for very important occasions. For instance, it's been five months since I last used direct heat.
  • Roller sets- My best friend. I don't dry under the hooded dryer.
  • Castor oil- I don't use this religiously, because when I run out, it isn't easy for me to get my hands on some more. But I feel this oil helps.

Saga

The Generous Queen
Oh my gosh - THANK YOU. I always admire women who have THICK, HEALTHY, RELAXED hair...it's hard to accomplish considering that relaxer eats away at the hair and makes it lay down, which makes it look less thick than it was originally. Anytime I see relaxed girls in real life, their hair is either HAM, or it looks like they only have one layer of hair.

Curlybeauty

Oh my gosh - THANK YOU. I always admire women who have THICK, HEALTHY, RELAXED hair...it's hard to accomplish considering that relaxer eats away at the hair and makes it lay down, which makes it look less thick than it was originally. Anytime I see relaxed girls in real life, their hair is either HAM, or it looks like they only have one layer of hair.

Ummm .. thanks? :look:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

This happens for a myriad of reasons: overlapping, using the incorrect strength, using heat incorrectly, etc. Most of us never learned properly which led us to this sight.

The relaxer does not eat away at the hair. The bonds are broken to release the coil or kink. It only eats away when not properly neutralized