Thin to Thick Hair

tiffanyoneal

Did you have thin relaxed hair and you somehow managed to thicken up your hair drastically? If so please post some motivation pictures for people like myself who have thin relaxed hair.

....Oh don't forget to include what you did to thicken your hair. :D Thanks Ladies!

homegirljiggy

I had thin long hair midback length hair now its much thicker, here is what I did

1. hair cut, cut off about 3-4 incheds, I cut bout 6
2.look at your relaxer is it too strong, making hair too thin?
3. too much blowdrying, too hot flat iron, heat need to be minimized
4. for the last month or so I've done co-washes, and when I wanted straight hair I just wrapped.

Now my hair is much thicker, and my ends are not too raggedy and thin like they used to be. hope this helps

homegirljiggy

I had thin long hair midback length hair now its much thicker, here is what I did

4. for the last month or so I've done co-washes, and when I wanted straight hair I just wrapped.

Now my hair is much thicker, and my ends are not too raggedy and thin like they used to be. hope this helps

locabouthair

look at this album, she's a great inspiration

www.members.fotki.com/JenniferMD

there was also a thread called thin to thin lemme see if I can find it.

Radianthealth

I am still doing these things to thicken up my hair

• Fresh Carrot Juice daily - Still working on staying consistent
  • MSM, Iron, & Biotin Supplements -Still working on staying consistent
  • No heat-consistent
  • texlaxing-consistent
  • mix 1/2 castor oil with 1/2 moisturizer for my hair-consistent
  • NO BAGGYING (This is just for me, it does not work well for my fine hair)-consistent
  • Protein moisture balance-consistent
  • A gradual trim of my fully relaxed and fine strands-eventually:)

Iluvsmuhgrass

homegirljiggy said:

ITA.
1.Getting rid of bad ends was the beginning of a turn-around for my hair. I lost about 3 inches. Keep in mind that I had color in my hair and didn't take proper care of it so I lost a majority of those strands. Now my hair is much healthier.

2. I had my hair relaxed bone straight each time and wondered why my hair was thin.... I used regular because I didn't know any better. After reading on the board about using strong relaxers I remembered that I used Bantu mild in college (I was self-relaxing and afraid to use anything too strong) and my hair thrived. I changed to a mild relaxer (Mizani Mild) and my hair began to thicken.

3. I use no heat at all except when I do a roller set at the salon. (Once every 1 1/2 months or so)

It's made a big difference!

Lavendar

homegirljiggy said:

Yup, gotta agree on this one. Though I'm sure that is a very unpopular answer, my hair is much, much thicker since I just chopped 6 inches. In fact, I've never been able to refer to my hair as "thick" before now. I guess I'm now doing a "backwards" hair journey too!:lol: I do worry that as it grows back out it will become "thin" again....if only I could keep it this thick as it grows.:confused:

bablou00

That was my main goal when joinin the forum was to get my hair to thicken up. I think 2 things have helped me is no heat and stretching my relaxers. My NG is extremely thick and I get comments all the time on when am I going to do something to my head...so on! I dont care stretching had done wonders for my hair and I hope I last till August because I know I will see a huge difference in thickness. Plus stretching helps me not to overlap my relaxers. Also prepooing with eggs in my protein conditioner has made my hair stronger. HTH:)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Definitely cutting your hair. I cut 'often' but it grows back healthier and thicker each time.

Castor Oil. Good old fashion Cold Pressed Castor Oil which is so economical. I only pay $4.50 for an 8 oz. at Whole Foods.

I massage it into my scalp at least 2-3 times a weeks and leave it in my hair. I keep my hair in a loose bun and I forget it.

I also make a little paste with Cayenne Pepper (or Capsasian Cream) and the Castor Oil and massage the mixture into my scalp to stimulate the growth. I massage the mixture into my scalp; leave on for at least an hour with a plastic shower cap over my head. I rinse it out with a creamy hair conditioner. Water will increase the 'heat' in the Cayenne Pepper or Capsasian cream, so a creamy solution is best as it soothers the scalp. Afterwards always wash your hands and clean your finger nails with a nail brush so that the Pepper does not burn your later.

As for the Castor Oil and the Cayenne Pepper, It works. I don't understand how or why, but it works. Castor Oil is the one true item that thickened and lengthened my hair when I lost hope with everything else.

Hope this helps. ;).

sweetnlow06

bablou00 said:
That was my main goal when joinin the forum was to get my hair to thicken up. I think 2 things have helped me is no heat and stretching my relaxers. My NG is extremely thick and I get comments all the time on when am I going to do something to my head...so on! I dont care stretching had done wonders for my hair and I hope I last till August because I know I will see a huge difference in thickness. Plus stretching helps me not to overlap my relaxers. Also prepooing with eggs in my protein conditioner has made my hair stronger. HTH:)

I know what you mean! People keep saying the same to me. I am ignoring them because my hair is starting to thicken since I stopped using heat and started stretching my relaxers too. Maybe I will get a camera some time soon to take pics.

***Toy-Pisces***

sweetnlow06 said:
I know what you mean! People keep saying the same to me. I am ignoring them because my hair is starting to thicken since I stopped using heat and started stretching my relaxers too. Maybe I will get a camera some time soon to take pics.

I wanna See!!!:D

tiger4513

Shimmie,
Can you provide your recipe or how much of each castor oil and cayenne pepper you use to make your paste? thanks,

Shimmie said:
Definitely cutting your hair. I cut 'often' but it grows back healthier and thicker each time.

Castor Oil. Good old fashion Cold Pressed Castor Oil which is so economical. I only pay $4.50 for an 8 oz. at Whole Foods.

I massage it into my scalp at least 2-3 times a weeks and leave it in my hair. I keep my hair in a loose bun and I forget it.

I also make a little paste with Cayenne Pepper (or Capsasian Cream) and the Castor Oil and massage the mixture into my scalp to stimulate the growth. I massage the mixture into my scalp; leave on for at least an hour with a plastic shower cap over my head. I rinse it out with a creamy hair conditioner. Water will increase the 'heat' in the Cayenne Pepper or Capsasian cream, so a creamy solution is best as it soothers the scalp. Afterwards always wash your hands and clean your finger nails with a nail brush so that the Pepper does not burn your later.

As for the Castor Oil and the Cayenne Pepper, It works. I don't understand how or why, but it works. Castor Oil is the one true item that thickened and lengthened my hair when I lost hope with everything else.

Hope this helps. ;).

tiffanyoneal

Thanks ladies for responding and all your tips! I started using Castor Oil, MTG and MN along with moisturizers, proteins and my vitamins. I have not had a perm in 4 months...protective styling it with microbraids and twist. Hopefully when I go home early July and get a perm I will see a difference in thickness and growth.

I think before my hair was being overprocessed because I wanted Bone straight hair....but after joining this forum I see it is not even about that!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

LongiLox

I rarely use heat on my hair, stretch my relaxers for 12 weeks, and most of my relaxer are under processed, but yet my hair is still not thick. I just started using Vatika oil; hopefully that will help?

Traycee

July 07

June 08

I went on a No Heat Diet...

and Kept things simple

Last edited:

Mz.Shug

So glad this thread was started as I had the exact same problem/questions. Anyone know where the Fine/Thin Hair support thread has gone? I've heard of it but can't find it.

CurlyMoo

wow. great progress:yep:

Are you texlaxed?

Those pictures is like night and day, great job. It looks like you went from shoulder length to midback in less than a year. Did you retain nearly 6 inches if not all of it? What was your shedding or breakage like?

vestaluv1

I still have a long way to go, but my hair has become thicker and I think one or more of the following has contributed to this:

-A long (10 month) relaxer stretch (Ofcourse you don't need to stretch that long!)
-Deep conditioning treatments
-Ayurveda/essential oils and powders
-Low manipulation and covering my hair (wigs)
-Minimal amount of combing
-Cutting my thin ends by 1 to 2 inches (so glad I got rid of them)

Results are in my siggy and it shows the difference in 7 months.

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

simply amazing, thanks for sharing!

I still have a long way to go, but my hair has become thicker and I think one or more of the following has contributed to this:

-A long (10 month) relaxer stretch (Ofcourse you don't need to stretch that long!)
-Deep conditioning treatments
-Ayurveda/essential oils and powders
-Low manipulation and covering my hair (wigs)
-Minimal amount of combing
-Cutting my thin ends by 1 to 2 inches (so glad I got rid of them)

Results are in my siggy and it shows the difference in 7 months.

brucebettye

I don't have any pictures of when my hair was thin, but it was due to bad relaxer and hair practices. I have a picture of how thick my hair has gotten because I stretch my relaxers and I do protein treatments once a week (see siggy). I alternate between 2 eggs mixed with conditoner and motions cpr. I love my thick hair.

NIN4eva

Yes I tried going back to heat for styling (after reading an LHCF thread about heat protectants) every now and then after years of not using any and I saw breakage (and single strand knots!) for the 1st time in years. Never again. Nevaaa!