Relaxed Ladies Please Base Your Scalps! (LONG)

Tru_Mind

[size=+1]Hi ladies!

I'm sooo frusted with my hair right now...I keep cutting it. I did experience damage/breakage in Febuary and soon after I cut the damaged hair off. Which wasn't much...but I kept cutting. I've been cutting every month from February to June, so of course I have no growth progress. I cut a lot of hair off each time. I realize that my hair grows fast after I see the tons of hair in the garage. :lol:

Why do I cut? The scab hair from scalp damage and chemicals is driving me crazy!!! I believe that what I call scab hair is really follicle damage, because scab hairs grow out right? I don’t know.

Anyway, these short hairs do not grow!!!! It’s like patches of hair in sections…if that makes sense, because it’s sooo different from my natural texture it feels like patches. When it’s wet it’s fine…but when it dries I can feel patches of scab hair(or whatever).

I really want to shave my hair off at times...but that makes absolutely no sense, because I see that the scab hair changes when it wants to....or follicle damage repairs over time. I believe that I have follicle damage. :lol: I know that I have follicle damage. If scab hair is a result of follicle damage then I have scab hair. :lol: Please tell me, because I can't believe that I still have scab hair!!! Too much of it!!! Only a section(quarter size) at a time returns to normal every couple of months which is too long for me.

A couple of months ago my entire crown area was covered with short scab hair. Now, in the center of my crown I have a quarter size section that did change back to normal...and so did another section in my crown that I recently noticed. I can’t even remember exactly where this section is, because I am sooo frustrated...and I really don't care, because it's not enough.

When I learned that it takes 2 yrs for scab hair to go away I thought that was insane...but it's sooo true...if that's what I have. My last relaxer was October 2003, so It seems like for me it's going to be more than 2 yrs...I never based my scalp and before I decided to transition my scalp was on fire...literally...it was burning. I thought that I would wake up and see my hair on my pillow.

I found the skinbiology.com website which lead me to Folligen Lotion, and Emu Oil. Has anyone tried Folligen Lotion or Emu Oil...and do they work. Folligen Lotion is for scalp damage from chemicals and Emu Oil suppose to act as a penetrating agent used along with the lotion. Emu Oil is supposed to nourish dormant hair follicles...which is what I need.

http://www.skinbiology.com/truthabouthairrelaxers.html

http://www.folligen.com/relaxers.html

http://www.hairlosswatch.com/folligen.htm

Ladies if you have any scalp repair info please share it.

TIA

-tru[/size]

Are you referring to scalp burns after a relaxer?

I've had those a few times because I usually scratch my head right before I get a touch up but they usually go away within a week or two especially if I use pure cold pressed castor oil.I've never had a problem growing hair afterwards or experiencing any kind of breakage from the burns.Is this what you're referring to or is it something else?

I hope I can help!

I can't speak on scab hair, but I do use emu oil in my hair oil mixture. I also can't say whether or not the emu oil is a major contributor to my hair growth alone because it's been a part of my mixture since I've been a member of this site.

I have used products from the skinbiology site in the past and have been pleased with the results, particularly the copper skin care products. I've used the products for hair, but figured because I didn't incorporate Rogaine, my results were less than stellar.

I just started using Emu oil in my oil and butter mix. I tried it first on its own and in my daughter's natural hair (and on our skin) and it provided an instant softness that I liked.

I dont' know much about scab hair but I know the quality of my hair has changed since relaxing. Strange enough though, since I started self relaxing every 3 months and basing my scalp when relaxing, from October 2004 to now I have seen change again in my hair quality. I must note that I also stopped greasing my scalp except for coconut and T-tree oil mix, or mixture with oils and butters (my new mix with Emu) every now and then so that may have contributed to what I am seeing. The hair in the area where I used to get burned the most is still the hardest.

Ladies thanks for your comments!

@LaRobinWolfe76 I don't think I'm talking about scalp burns from chemical relaxers. I've had scalp burns before and what I experienced was different. Scalp burns scabs and you can peel the scab off. I didn't have any scabs on my head...I just felt burning/tingling.

I damaged my scalp. I don't know if it was the relaxer that I was using or not, because my scalp only felt that way when I was using that relaxer. I've only used that relaxer( Hawaiian Silky No Lye Mild) for about 3+ yrs. It sad to say but I liked that relaxer because I liked the way that my hair turned out. My hair looked much better after using this relaxer, but the scalp was a problem that gradually snuck up on me. Maan I just couldn't win!

Now that I think about it, after I used that relaxer the first couple of times my scalp tinlged...and the more that I used the relaxer the worse my scalp felt. My real tell tale sign was when I put a permanent die in. I followed directions by putting in after the relaxer (I waited until 2+ months later), but I guess since my scalp was already tingling a month before the chemicals from the die made it even worse. This time it was burning and it felt that work for about a month...it gradually went away. I should have went to a dermotologist, but I didn't know any better.

@OneShinyFace I'm thinking about trying the Folligen stuff. I just won't those short hairs to finally grow in. My hair grows fast and I'm not trying to get long hair. I've had long hair before and when I had long hair I wanted shorter hair. I admire short hair and long hair...so I'm in between. Shoulder length or a little longer is enough for me.

Thanks ladies!:)

-tru

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track using the Emu Oil. There is a member here(I cannot remember her name) that has been using it with great results. I have been meanaing to pick up some.

Cherokee said:
I think you are on the right track using the Emu Oil. There is a member here(I cannot remember her name) that has been using it with great results. I have been meanaing to pick up some.

Thanks Cherokee! I do want them both...supposedly they work well together. I need something to help me get over this hurdle.

-tru

Sounds good Milli C! I wish I would have based my scalp...but I didn't even know about it...and the stylists didn't base my scalp either. Thanks for your comment... I missed it earlier.

I want Emu Oil, but I was just thinking I posted the cayanne pepper and olive oil thread and still have yet to try it, because I wanted to wear the cayanne pepper throughout the day while my hair was in pony tail. That was my plan, but of course since I've been cutting my hair is not long enough to wear a pony tail. So, I will be putting the mixture in at night before I wash...and I will see what happens.

I was thinking about mixing the cayanne pepper with the Emu Oil, but Emu Oil is not as cheap as olive oil and I hate that I would have to order the Emu Oil from the Internet...but I do want it. I'll see.

-tru

Last edited:
Tru Mind,

You may want to try the cold pressed castor oil.I started using it after reading in Essence magazine that it was an excellent base for the scalp.It's also used to heal wounds very fast especially when used in conjuction with heat.The cold pressed castor oil also goes by the name Palma Christi Oil meaning the palm of Christ because of the effect it has on healing the skin and you can purchase it at your loacal health food store.You could maybe use this while you're waiting on the emu oil.This way your scalp can begin the healing process immediately.

I ordered the Folligen lotion and posted about it in the past. I used it after relaxing (I always base my scalp first) to heal my scalp and it seemed to work very well.

The Emu oil and castor oil are also great suggestions. :yep:

Back