The term 'Scab Hair' confuses me

Qualitee

Ok, I thought 'scab hair' would be hair that sticks to your scalp after you get burn during the relaxing process. You know the hair that lifts up after awhile and its hard and stiff because of the dryed puss thats on it:look: ( scab on hair= 'scab hair')
Now Im learning that scab hair is the first NG you get after a 'BC' and it is believed to be relaxed hair or something:drunk::spinning: IDK Im confused:lachen:

pookaloo83

Now Im learning that scab hair is the first NG you get after a 'BC' and it is believed to be relaxed hair or something:drunk::spinning: IDK Im confused:lachen:

Yep. This is what it is. When I first did my BC my hair was kinda hard. Then soft hair came after. :ohwell: I'm transitioning again and I feel the same thing I did when I did my first BC.

sharifeh

A lot of people don't believe scab hair exists.
I *think* that the theory is that using the relaxer so long had an effect on the scalp so the hair that grows out is like "straight". I think some people have some straight really rough parts on their head when growing out their relaxer but then it grows back again normally with a curl pattern. They call that scab hair I guess.

I think I just confused myself.

CurlTalk

Interesting...
I've heard about scab hair, and so anticipated it (been using relaxers for approximately 7 years or so) at the beginning of my transition; my hair feels just as soft and moisturized as my younger sister's hair (she's never had a relaxer), and I just passed six months post.
I think "scab hair" is more moisture than anything: as one learns that natural hair needs WAY more moisture than relaxed hair, and applies this concept, the natural hair becomes softer, more moisturized, and reveals its true curl pattern.
This is akin to the way new growth feels at around 5 weeks post relaxer: a bit hard and dry. Proper moisture of it alleviates the problem; however, most people (myself included) tend toward treating 5-week-post-new-growth as if it were relaxed hair, giving the same amount of moisture to relaxed hair and new growth, which is not enough for the new growth.