relaxed ladies..I have a question.

teysmith

Hello everyone. I just relaxed my hair lastnight with ORS no-lye olive oil relaxer. I really loved it! My hair is really soft and moisturized!

However, It appears to be really thin! Before I relaxed I was about 5 months post. I had a lot of new growth and it was extra thick,
So I didnt expect my hair to feel and look this thin. I'm not a thin hair girl so I Idk.
I did flat iron it too so maybe thats the problem...

Anyway, My question is.. Did your hair appear to be thicker as it got longer? I cant wait until my hair get longer but I just pray it dont look as thin and limp as it do now..:nono:

Esq.2B

You probably should've used a lye relaxer. I found that no-lye relaxers thinned my hair out. If your scalp can stand it, switch to lye. And keep up with your protein treatments. It should help your hair to retain some of it's thickness.

teysmith

You probably should've used a lye relaxer. I found that no-lye relaxers thinned my hair out. If your scalp can stand it, switch to lye. And keep up with your protein treatments. It should help your hair to retain some of it's thickness.

thanks I think i will give lye relaxer a try...

nymane

I relax bone straight, so for the first week or so my hair looks "flat" and after that week the body returns.

Arcadian

I use phyto and have never had this problem. For some switching to lye is the answer (its not for me, lye eats my scalp away) If you process bone straight its the way it is with some relaxers. If its straight even before you finish processing, that may be the sign for you to go ahead and rinse it out. I personally never relax to bone straight.

At any rate, there's really no one answer as it differs from person to person. A few ladies have switched to lye and found it worked better for them, so if you're wanting to go in that direction I would run a search on the board to find out what they're using (it differs across the board)

Then there are those of us that use no lye successfully. again, what may work for one doesn't mean it will work for another.

-A

Finewine

Hello everyone. I just relaxed my hair lastnight with ORS no-lye olive oil relaxer. I really loved it! My hair is really soft and moisturized!

However, It appears to be really thin! Before I relaxed I was about 5 months post. I had a lot of new growth and it was extra thick,
So I didnt expect my hair to feel and look this thin. I'm not a thin hair girl so I Idk.
I did flat iron it too so maybe thats the problem...

Anyway, My question is.. Did your hair appear to be thicker as it got longer? I cant wait until my hair get longer but I just pray it don't look as thin and limp as it do now..:nono:

Aww, cheer up. I'm sure the thin appearance will go away after a wash or a few weeks.

To answer your question, I started to "texlax" my hair by underprocessing it and using MBB lye relaxer sometime last year. My hair has always been thick, but it's even thicker now with this method. I agree with the poster who said you should consider a lye relaxer.

longhairlover

it's most likely that your use to the extra thickness from stretching, it will thicken back up as others said as the weeks go by, you most likely processed it bone straight, the ors relaxer may just be stronger maybe use milder strength next time. I know for me the silk elements lye regular is strong and mild would be better and not result in bone straight.

I would've maybe curled the hair up and wrapped it, that would've given immediate body and more fuller appearance.

~NanCeBoTwin~

Hi I have to agree with nymane and longhairlover....My hair always seems to look thin and flat right after a realxer. I hate that look, but it tends to thicken right back up after the 2nd or 3rd time I do my hair after. I'm not sure if that is truly what you are dealing with, but I can tell you from my experience that this happens each and everytime I relax.

I went 33 weeks on my last stretch, my hair was very thick looking after I blowdried it, however, after flat ironing and wrapping, it seemed thin looking. After a couple of weeks it thickened right back up.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
It's funny you posted this because I was starting to think my ORS was the culprit for my thinning hair. I only started using ORS for maybe the last three touch-ups so I honestly don't think it's the relaxer because I'm only relaxing the new growth and the whole length of the strand is thinner. I do always protect my unrelaxed hair from run-off by putting globs of coconut oil on it before relaxing so it's probably not the relaxer. I realized it's my layers growing out that makes the ends look thinner the longer it gets.

I was hoping that after the next wash it would "poof back up" but it didn't and I relaxed three weeks ago and it's still thin. But I think I also just got used to all the new growth from stretching, like the poster above said.

Believe me, I feel your pain and I felt like it was such a setback when I saw how see-through my ends appeared. I didn't even want to post a progress pic after that because my hair looked so much fuller before.

Hang in there!

raushana2478

yes I have to agree when I relaxed I would find that my hair felt extra thin, but in two to three weeks my thickness returned..

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Yeah me too, immediately after I relax my hair looks thin, but it comes around in about 2 weeks. As others said, you were probably used to the volume from 5 months of NG. Protein will help with the thickness and so does castor oil :yep:

ceebee3

I'm relaxed with lye and my hair always feels thinner after a fresh relaxer.

Using a flat iron makes it worse, I always rollerset and that helps for a fuller look.