Am I the *ONLY* one who *HATES* freshly-relaxed hair?!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
SouthernTease said:
My hair is fine.
I used to rollerset my hair
and then instead of wrapping it
I pincurled my hair after taking the
rollers down, tied it down with
a scarf and then sat under the
dryer for 15 minutes. Wrapping
can flatten your hair. Pin curls
might be a good look if you're wanting
your hair to look fuller. Sleep in
the pin curls instead of a wrap...
see what happens...
I wonder if the saran wrap method could
work on pincurls... hmmm...

That's a good question. I would experiment, but I think I'll wait to do the silk wrap again when I'm 3 or 4 weeks post-relaxer.

Thanks for these helpful hints...

Hmmmm...I really wish that I could pin curl. I have no idea how to do this.:(

LadyZ

I don't like when I get a fresh relaxer either:ohwell: ... my hair is all over the place until I wash and set it again:D ....

bellesocialite

locabouthair said:
i know how you feel. my head is already big and when im freshly relaxed it just looks bigger.:lol: i know if my hair was thicker it wouldnt be much of a problem.
I have the same issue, lol. With the hair so flat, it draws attention to my head. I prefer my hair 1-2 weeks post to freshly relaxed.

KiniKakes

You arent alone! I hate my hair looks freshly relaxed too! It takes at least 3 weeks (ie, 3 washes/DCs) to get my hair looking back to how i like. :)

Mom23

You are not alone. I don't like my hair freshly relaxed either. Usually by week 3, I'm happy. :)

nisha2004

I'm not alone. I've always not liked how "attached to my head" it looked after a fresh perm. It usually takes 2-3 washes and rollerset for it to start behaving itself.

PatTodd

I always felt the way you do. Right after a touchup my hair would be silky fine, barely able to hold a curl. Then the first time I washed my hair after a touch up was always worse than after the touch up itself - fine and yet bushy at the same time, I couldn't do a thing with it!!!! I couldn't wait to wash my hair for the second time after a touch up so it would feel "normal" again.

wantlonghair25

Serenity_Peace said:
So I relaxed last Friday using ORS Lye relaxer. My hair turned out great, and I really like using Lye.

Because I have extremely fine/thin hair, I didn't want to leave the relaxer on for bone straight hair. The relaxer called for 15 minutes total. I left the relaxer on for about 12 or 13 minutes. No problem.

Although my hair is straight, I think it's still probably too straight.

What's more, I hate the two or three weeks or so after the relaxer when my hair looks even more fine, thin, and unhealthy. Even though a few of the ladies here at work said that my hair is growing long, what's the point if it's fine and thin?:confused:

I feel so bad about my hair and hate it.

I had even thought about growing the relaxer out and going natural once and for all. That's how much I hate this fine, thin mess on my head.

I'm sorry about being so negative today. I guess I'm just down in the dumps...:( :(

Yes it seems too straight. My mother will just get the relaxer and let it air dry. The texture seems not as straight like that.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
KiniKakes said:
You arent alone! I hate my hair looks freshly relaxed too! It takes at least 3 weeks (ie, 3 washes/DCs) to get my hair looking back to how i like. :)

Kini! :wave: Thanks so much for responding! I can't wait to see your progress pics. I am so excited for you.

Yes, I need about another wash, perhaps a henna treatment, to get it back on track.

I'm sorry for being so negative that I forgot to post the good news:

1. Pics are coming in my new Fotki this weekend.
2. I have found my staple relaxer: ORS Lye for fine, medium texture
3. My hair is SHINY!! This is a bling that I haven't had in a very long time.
4. I experienced absolutely no shedding or breakage
5. My hair *has* grown. I will continue to monitor my progress and keep my hair protected.

I feel much better this evening...but I still hate this freshly-relaxed hair! :lol::lol:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
wantlonghair25 said:
Yes it seems too straight. My mother will just get the relaxer and let it air dry. The texture seems not as straight like that.

That's a really good point. I may try doing an airdry. Of course, I would like to stretch my relaxer this time until December so it would probably be too cold for that. Sounds like a good idea, though... ;)