Relaxed ladies... How long do you stretch?

Bliss806

I relaxed my hair right before thanksgiving after stretching for 5 months. The relaxer didn't take well in the center of my hair. Now that I am on this no heat challenge and all I do is rollerset my hair looks BAD! Any advice?

I plan to stretch for six months. I'm an avid rollersetter, but I will stop setting my hair after about 4 months as the regrowth is a bit much to try and get through. If you're not using heat it's very difficult to minimise the puffy roots; the only alternative is to use a scarf to flatten it.

Sorry no advice. I am going to try to stretch for 6months. Only because my hair is fine and thin, (hoping for some thickness) and I am on the prowl for a relaxer that will leave my hair with some body:crossfingers:

last time I stretched I did it for 12wks. this time I wanted to try for 15wks, but ended up relaxing at 9-10wks. My hair was not happy with me at all. Next time Ill be stronger.

i stretch for at least six months, but i usually go for nine.
i don't wear my hair down after the second/third month, i start rocking braids after that.

so long story short, i don't really know how to help you, per se.
have you thought about wearing styles other than rollersets in the latter portion of your stretch?

I usually only stretch for 12 weeks but last time I stretched until 13. I don't know how people can stretch longer. My hair wouldn't like me one bit

Have you ever tried a ponytail rollerset? I did one last night and the final set looked pretty good for 5 months post.

I'm usually around 8 weeks post when I relax, but it will be 10 weeks post when I relax this weekend. As my hair gets longer, I hope to stretch longer, but 8 weeks is my minimum.

I have no suggestions about the rollersetting other than to try a different style. I'm 6 months post right now and there's no way I can even dream about doing a rollerset... especially with no heat to get at the roots!

Question: did you self-relax or relax at a salon?

When I rollerset at home, the ponytail rollerset is the only way I can get roots to look "decent"....But I usually go to the shop let her rollerset it and she'll flat iron my roots.

Also, I'm not sure where you started your last relaxer at, but we always start at my crown first because that's where my hair seems to be the thickest. HTH

Stretches are difficult for me, I am going on 12 weeks post, though my intention was to only go 10 :ohwell:
I was just too busy(and broke) to go get a touch up but I need one. My hair is breaking at the line of demarcation on my left side,

I stretch for 12 weeks. Continuing with my 2-3x weekly cowashing really helps once I get past 6 weeks. I also do the brunt of my detangling in the shower as I rinse out the conditioner.

I relax 16-18 weeks. I would think that if you are not having luck with a regular rollerset try something like a ponytail rollerset. It will help with your not-so-sleek roots if you stretch a while.

When I rollerset at home, the ponytail rollerset is the only way I can get roots to look "decent"
This is what I do when I'm deep into my stretch.

My first stretch was 23 weeks. This time around I'm going stretching for a min of 16 weeks and a max of 20 weeks.

I have no suggestions about the rollersetting other than to try a different style. I'm 6 months post right now and there's no way I can even dream about doing a rollerset... especially with no heat to get at the roots!

Question: did you self-relax or relax at a salon?

I let a friend do it. :wallbash:

I stretch from 12 -18 weeks. I do a ponytail rollerset instead of a traditional rollerset after about week 8.

8-10 Weeks but I am going to try for 12 sometime this year...I am just not used to dealing with my new growth and I also wear my hair out 95% of the time...

I'm currently 5 months post going for 2 more months...I stick to regular DC'ing, co-washing and air drying in braids...

This year I made a vow to go back to 12 wks relaxing. Last year I stretch 5 months but will NEVER do it again. Long stretches are not for me:nono::nono::nono:

Last edited:
Back