Relaxed ladies: How do you care for your nape hair?

sunnieb

Do you do anything special?

About a two years ago, I started really paying attention to my nape. As a bone straight relaxer, I worry breakage back there.

Well here's my nape before relaxing last Saturday. I can't believe it's so long! When I started my HHJ, I think I had about 1/2 inch of damaged hair back there.

I moisturize my nape 2x a day with ORS Carrrot Oil and Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Looks like it worked for me.

What do you do to maintain nape health?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

Attachments

• Nape March 2015.jpg
    Nape March 2015.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I am restarting a relaxed hair journey after being on hiatus for a while. Last year I had a lot of stress and my hair suffered. I cut my hair to a pixie, and then maintained it for months. I am now growing it out and looking to do better about my nape and edges.

Can't say I see a huge difference, but I do see some improvements.

When I deep condition on wet hair, I slather a thick coating of jbco directly on the perimeter of my hairline in the front and also directly in the center of the back of my head at the nape. I let my conditioner and jbco edges sit for 30 minutes under a plastic cap. When I rinse out the conditioner, I let water run over the edges and nape too but allow some of it to simply remain. This way, jbco is still kinda a thin residue at my trouble areas. I style as usual.

I also learned from lhcf to skip relaxing the edges and nape every other relaxer day. On the days I include the nape and edges, I make sure to hit those areas absolutely last.

As my hair grows this time around, I intend to be gentler with how I care for edges/nape. So far, so good.

I'm enjoying my freshly relaxed hair for a few weeks, but I'll go back to bunning after that.

I love the high buns, but I think I tend to put too much stress on my nape to achieve the look. I might try some lower bunning styles with barely any pulling against my nape.

I baby my nape and edges. I moisturize and seal the nape in the morning and in the evening everyday. For moisture I use Annabelle's hair cream or pudding and then I will seal with JBCO or Grape Seed oil. When I texlax I only leave relaxer on those areas for the last 5 mins of the relaxing process. I wear loose low buns 90% of the time.

I'm enjoying my freshly relaxed hair for a few weeks, but I'll go back to bunning after that.

I love the high buns, but I think I tend to put too much stress on my nape to achieve the look. I might try some lower bunning styles with barely any pulling against my nape.

Thanks for that. I put my hair up so much and I think I'm actually doing my nape favors by not putting it/pulling from the nape...but I'm not lol.. I do loose updos but I'm still putting strain on that area...

Currently I'm babying it with castor oil. It seems to be working... That area is growing and getting longer.

When I was fully relaxed I learned to put relaxer on nape last instead of first.

If I rollerset my hair to dry I wouldn't touch that that area with flat iron even if i did rest of my head just brush it into wrap. Basically leave it alone. I was so oblivious to how long my nape had gotten that I still remember pain of cutting it up when I was removing braids. I just hadn't realized that that section had grown so long. This was before LHCF.

Mine just broke off pretty bad. I ended cutting approx 3-4 inches off the rest of my head due to frustration. I am going back to Paul Mitchell products. My hair did the best with it so I'm just going to stick to that.

Back