Relaxed heads: Does your hair airdry straight using Scarf meth? If so how?

cocoagirl

So I was watching Hairlistas videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2pj4tm5GG0&feature=channel_page on how to air dry straight and it just didn't work for me. I noticed that her towel dried hair in the beginning is straight, whereas after I rinse condish from my hair it is wavy in some parts and curly in others. After I apply leave-ins etc. it is the same way...so when I tried this method my hair was frizzy, esp. towards the ends when dry. I am wondering if this is because my hair is not straight like hers before I start.

So does YOUR hair dry straight with the scarf method or do YOU have to use rollers, or braids etc. to get smooth, unfrizzy hair?

SelfStyled

Great question, I have wondered this for the longest... To answer I wish my hair air dried like Sunshyne's ( I just love her, btw)- but it does not. I think because I am texlaxed. Don't get me wrong where the scarf is, is smooth but definitely not straight.

I keep trying different techniques. Next time instead of letting my hair hang down I am going to pin it up and maybe the scarf will help flatten out the ends.

ETA: Even with a rollerset my hair is smoother than airdried, but not straight. My hair will only be straight with heat, sigh.

KhandiB

My hair wont airdry straight no matter what, my hair is pretty much texlaxed, not on purpose either, lol

yardgirl

Mine airdries straight with or without a scarf. As long as it's wrapped around my head I'm good.

Xerxes

Mine airdries straight with or without a scarf. As long as it's wrapped around my head I'm good.

I hate to admit it, but I didn't know I could wrap my hair, let it air dry while wrapped and have it come out smooth and straight before. I always thought I had to use heat for my wrap to work, but if you wrap your hair well and use a scarf to secure it, you should get nice results. I normally give my 50% towel-dried hair 4+ hours to dry in a tight wrap.

ceebee3

I've never used the scarf method, but the couple of times I let my hair air dry it was straight. I just let it hang until it dried.

knt1229

The video is very good. The only thing that I would change is that if you want all your hair to be straight and smooth then wrap or pin the hair up and put the scarf on your whole head. Then airdry.

My hair airdries the way I leave it when it's wet. If I brush it straight using a paddle brush, pin up the back with a bobby pin or wrap the hair and put a scarf over my whole head (tie it tight) then all my hair will airdry straight.

If I use the denman brush pin up the back and put a scarf on my head then it will airdry wavy. Actually, it will dry exactly the way it looked when wet. Smooth but wavy.

I am transitioning, 37 weeks post relaxer, and this still works for me. Once I'm all natural I don't know if my hair will continue to dry smooth and straight or wavy but for right now it works and I airdry this way occassionally.

P.S.... make sure your hair is thoroughly detangled before brushing.

Last edited:

cocoagirl

Yeah I guess b/c my hair is wavy before drying, it dries wavy. I guess I'll just be rollersetting the back or doing several pony-rollers all over my head and putting the scarf around the edges like I have been doing at 6+ weeks post. Because that is the only way that my hair seems to dry smooth...

knt1229

Yeah I guess b/c my hair is wavy before drying, it dries wavy. I guess I'll just be rollersetting the back or doing several pony-rollers all over my head and putting the scarf around the edges like I have been doing at 6+ weeks post. Because that is the only way that my hair seems to dry smooth...

So your hair is still wavy when you brush it and wrap it? How are your edges straight and smooth but the rest of your hair is not. For a relaxed head that seems strange. But everything is not for everybody and you have to do what's good for you and your hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Very Informative Cocogirl!:yep:

Thanks For Sharing! I am trying to "Master" Airdrying, be it scarf method, wrapping, letting it hang down; and trying to use as little direct heat and manipulation as possible.

So this was Extremely Helpful and Right On Time!:grin:

MizzCoco

I can't get my hair to airdry straight either. My hair is extremely curly when wet, even tho I'm relaxed, and even with a scarf it still stays curly/frizzy

Last edited:

Traycee

In all honesty.....It won't work for everyone....It works for me because I relax bone straight....So ofcourse there is no texture left...I can air dry straight and do it often...

longhairlover

Most of it will airdry straight but the ends is another story, they always curl or something other than straight. and op your right about the hair going curly once the conditioner is rinsed out, when I shampoo it's straight then conditioner curl wave pattern :(

I think a good option would be to do the scarf method and normally for me that straightens the top and most of my hair but the end and once it's fully dry maybe i'll just flat iron the ends, to avoid tangles also.

Also another good item are wrapp its I bought mine at sallys' these are meant specifically for sleek styles, wet wraps etc. wit my last scarf method I wrapped the wrapp it around my hair like a scarf used a lil' bit of heat and then put my scarf over the wrapp it and my hair, and it's pretty straight,

the person in the vid doesn't have any curl pattern (as so it appears in her vid) so if there's no curl pattern it's 10x's easier to do the scarf method and get a full straight head imo.

sorry this is soooo darn long :)

knt1229

The girl in vid was already drying her hair using the T-shirt method at the beginning of the vid. So she had already brushed and straightened her hair back before putting the scarf on her head.

Using a paddle brush straightens and smoothes out my hair and then by placing a scarf over my head it airdries straight. I have plenty of waves when my hair is wet always have. I have never been relaxed bone straight and I am currently 37 weeks post relaxer.

But again everything doesn't work for everybody.

Last edited:

poookie

In all honesty.....It won't work for everyone....It works for me because I relax bone straight....So ofcourse there is no texture left...I can air dry straight and do it often...

i agree. you will not airdry straight if you are not processed fully. i am relaxed bone straight and my hair air dries straight with the scarf method :yep: but when i air-dried last year when my hair wasn't bone straight, my hair would not get straight with the scarf method.