Relaxed Hair Thread

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I need to figure out a new hair routine. As much as I love my mini/micro braids, I gotta figure out something else to do that doesn't take hours to do so often. Maybe I'll consider relaxing every 6 months instead of 1x a year. To be honest, I'm kinda tired of the long stretches only because I have to braid to combine the two textures. Like I'm a little nervous of having loose hair because I'll have to be more gentle, but it makes styling so much easier and quicker. However I'm tired of spending hours braiding although it has greatly increased my productivity once it's all done since I can get up and go AND my scalp is cooler since it's not being smothered by my new growth. I need to find a happy medium....

MzSwift

I need to figure out a new hair routine. As much as I love my mini/micro braids, I gotta figure out something else to do that doesn't take hours to do so often. Maybe I'll consider relaxing every 6 months instead of 1x a year. To be honest, I'm kinda tired of the long stretches only because I have to braid to combine the two textures. Like I'm a little nervous of having loose hair because I'll have to be more gentle, but it makes styling so much easier and quicker. However I'm tired of spending hours braiding although it has greatly increased my productivity once it's all done since I can get up and go AND my scalp is cooler since it's not being smothered by my new growth. I need to find a happy medium....

Cuz, we are HERE!!
Could you maybe try cornrows? They're fast and also very protective!

That's why I leaned hard on cornrows last year bc they're faster to install, refresh and take down. BUT I keep getting some bad tangling at take down. I've been thinking about this all weekend and revisiting my old hair photos. I believe that the culprit is the straight back cornrows. I don't think cornrows in general are to blame, I think I need to revisit an old braid pattern. I used this pattern, or something similar, under my wigs all of the time. Instead of braiding straight back, I braided from the perimeters toward the center of my head. That meant that less of my hair was actually cornrowed and most of the length was plaited. My hair loves plaits. And then I cornrowed the plaited tails together straight down.

Don't judge my janky cornrows, they get the job done. Lol!

1714400186786.png 1714400240068.png

1714400668126.png

This pattern also works better for my crochet styles. I think this works best for me bc the coarsest and driest part of my head is my crown. And this means I'm not cornrowing that part of my head. So takedowns and refreshes were much easier bc less was cornrowed and it reduced tangling in the coarsest part of my head.

I started doing straight backs bc if I didn't cover them, I could bun the tails and look presentable. But I think they only work when my hair is SL or shorter.

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
@MzSwift I think my head and your head were separated at birth cause we are here (points to e-you and e-me) :laugh:

That's a great recommendation about the cornrows! I think I might do that and add some box braids up top so I don't get bored. I can't talk about anyone's cornrows cause mine be just as janky :rofl:

How do they hold up to washing?

ScorpioLove

I think I found a new product staple. Given that relaxers really open up the cuticles, I figured I should try the Redken acidic bonding concentrate mask because it’s designed to close the cuticles essentially. It’s pricey but it made a huge difference in the feel of my hair. I did a major hair treatment today to combat dryness I was feeling so I shampooed with a hydrating shampoo, k18, then layered on some deep conditioners for 30 minutes. Then I did a second deep condition with olaplex for 20 minutes which definitely helped my hair along. I saw my Redken mask and figured let me try it today and my hair felt very silky when I rinsed out after about 5 minutes.

I put some leave ins (with heat protection ) and curling gel then diffused to dry my hair. It only took an hour to detangle, style and dry after washing :yay:

dry texture - I have more clumping curls now than as a natural oddly enough.

IMG_4640.jpeg

sunnieb

I think I've posted about this Jojoba Oil & Lavender Curls Conditioner before. But, here's another post! I use this in my cowash rotation and it kind of gets lost because I love trying new conditioners. I buy a lot if different flavors and scents.

However, I cowashed with this last night because it was the closest condish within reach. Nothing spectacular with the cowash, rinse, or airdry.

BUT! When I took my hair down this morning to moisturize, I ran my fingers through it and thought "did I do a dc last night?". Yep! My hair wash moisturized, soft, and detangled as if I'd done a dc! It's this conditioner y'all! I'm telling you! Something in here really agrees with my hair. I'm a little past 8 weeks post and my newgrowth was laid this morning! :D

I need to stock up on this stuff!

1000009057.jpg