Relaxed Hair Thread

KaramelDiva1978

GoddessMaker said:
Question do I need to discontinue use of my sulfur growth aid prior to relaxing? My hair is out of control and I really feel like slapping on some relaxer now and never stretch this long again. My head looks like I'm back natural again and that isn't cute.

Yes. At least 7 days. Someone mentioned this in the Njoy Concoction Challenge and she said her relaxer burned from not waiting or removing it from her scalp.

growbaby

Would you say this is a "normal" amount of shedding after a wash, DC, and installation of twists 13 weeks post? (same shed hair in both pics)

image-3113461376.jpg

image-174182392.jpg

Guinan

Re-Branding
growbaby said:
Would you say this is a "normal" amount of shedding after a wash, DC, and installation of twists 13 weeks post? (same shed hair in both pics)

Yes! That's amazing that u have so little, I have double that amount when I finger comb.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

growbaby

pelohello said:
Yes! That's amazing that u have so little, I have double that amount when I finger comb.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF
Phew! Thanx! It was makin me nervous lol

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Combing my hair and feeling the comb graze across my scalp shouldn't feel this good. I fall in love all over again after a fresh TU.

divachyk

Question do I need to discontinue use of my sulfur growth aid prior to relaxing? My hair is out of control and I really feel like slapping on some relaxer now and never stretch this long again. My head looks like I'm back natural again and that isn't cute.

I stop any sulfur based products 2 weeks ahead for safekeeping but as previously mentioned, 7 days is typically the recommendation. I stop well before that as I don't want to take any chances. GoddessMaker

sckri23

I used to think stretching for 2 years was crazy but then I washed saturday and loved the feel of my ng and I actually air dried with no leave in to keep the curl.......

Big mistake I had the most problems trying to get fingers through to style my hair for church. But I love my curls now. But im texlaxing on thursday so I will still have some curl.

Lymegreen

I'm 3 weeks post and starting to see new growth. This stretch I am going to pay special attention so I track every stage.

Last edited:

Onhergrind09

I relaxed on the 21st, and I will prob relax again at 12 weeks. I think I'm over stretching my relaxer for longer than that. It still leaves me with reduced overlap since I generally have 1inch+ of growth every 2 months.

acapnleo

I relaxed this morning before work... Was making good timing until it was time to rinse, which always takes forever... So I'm in a damp-back-of the-head bun... And ... finished the alto ego relaxer off... I think I'm back in the market for a switch.

ETA: last relaxer was May 2012

Last edited:

growbaby

Today's makeshift bun due to my 1st twist out-fail.. Im running out of hair styles & I still have 8 weeks until me TU .. Smh

image-2668146268.jpg

image-3639119311.jpg

mschristine

My hair was so dry and puffy today. I needed a cowash badly. My hair felt great while I was rinsing the conditioner out of my hair. I needed that so much...

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I don't know what is going on with my scalp but today all of a sudden it's like I suddenly became tender-headed. I'm very gentle with my scalp and try to be with my hair...I'm 6&1/2 weeks post on my first Texlax experience. I noticed some breakage at my crown which looks like it might have been the result of my previous 15&1/2 week stretch. For the last week or so I've been so mad at my hair that the barber shop is lookin pretty good. I just can't figure out what's going on.

sckri23

An angry rant.

So I was talkin to my mom today, I forgot what it was about but it was something I read on the internet. She said "you believe everything you read on the internet," ok 1. Im the most skeptical person I know. I mean seriously I looked up about 8 different hair care websites for 2 months before starting my journey but to continue... "like that site you always on, look what they did to your hair!!!!" Ok whaaaatt??? What did yall do to my hair besides help me get to 9 weeks??? Cause I sure as hayl wouldnt have gotten here by daym myself... I made a vow to myself that I wasnt gonna speak a word about my hair to anyone and I havent so why did it come up??? Im so serious about that vow that I didnt even tell her that I stretched to 9 weeks from my usual 4 weeks with the help of yall. Why did my hair come up??? I would say im soo done but I dont know how that possible when I was already done and keeping to it. I dont even say my head itches but somehow my hair came up! Lord I swear yall when I get shoulder length im not gonna look for an apology im just gonna swing my hair.

bebezazueta

sckri23 :bighug: keep your end goal in mind. I had folks teasing me, a grown woman, when I was trying to stretch & bun my hair at NL. Now they are silenced by my MBL hair.

Congrats on your first stretch & WELCOME!

sckri23

bebezazueta said:
sckri23 :bighug: keep your end goal in mind. I had folks teasing me, a grown woman, when I was trying to stretch & bun my hair at NL. Now they are silenced by my MBL hair.

Congrats on your first stretch & WELCOME!

Thanks I needed that its just crazy how I dont mention my hair but still it comes up in negative convos.

sckri23

Now I remember I told here I looked up how to gain weight with a high metabolism then the "you believe everything" comment happened.

Nat1984

So over the weekend I was researching the benefits of using henna and/or cassia, and I've looked at a lot of threads on here, but I was just wondering if there are any relaxed heads who are currently using cassia? If so, has it made it real different to your hair?

Thanks in advance!!!!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Nat1984 said:
So over the weekend I was researching the benefits of using henna and/or cassia, and I've looked at a lot of threads on here, but I was just wondering if there are any relaxed heads who are currently using cassia? If so, has it made it real different to your hair?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi Nat1984,

I googled and googled until my eyes started crossing, lol. I initially decided to do a cassia treatment because I didn't want to change my natural color but wanted the thicker, healthier hair associated with Henna treatments. Then as I was about to take the plunge and purchase, I freaked out and started doing more research, I know insane right. After that final search, I learned that cassia was not a good as the henna. People are saying that cassia is just a really good hair conditioner, I'm not sure how true this is. Anyway, to answer your question, there are plenty of relaxed heads using henna/cassia with great results and they swear by it. I just received my henna in the mail yesterday so I cannot give my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nat1984

Thanks KiWiStyle, that's very helpful!

Originally I was thinking of using henna too, but like you I'm worried about changing the colour of my hair (which I don't want to do) - were you able to find a solution to this?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Nat1984 said:
Thanks KiWiStyle, that's very helpful!

Originally I was thinking of using henna too, but like you I'm worried about changing the colour of my hair (which I don't want to do) - were you able to find a solution to this?

No not really, I'm going to have to get use to a little color change. I contacted the owner and asked her to recommend a ratio of henna/indigo that will closely match my natural hair. I sent her a few pics of my hair in different lighting show casing my natural hair color and she recommends 3 parts henna to 1 part indigo. My henna is now sitting for color release, I'll keep you posted on the results.

Stillsaddity

I'm kind if sad tonight, I just had to trim an inch and a half off my hair. My hair is healthier, it sheds less, it's growing at a nice rate but I cannot seem to get my ends together. I'm not using heat on my hair, I try to seal and wear protective styles but I'm at a loss for what else to do to protect my ends. I'm lost...

beloved1bx

Nat1984 said:

Thanks in advance!!!!

I've uaed henna i think twice before and it's my understanding that in order to get the coloring properties you need to add something acidic to the mix and then let it sit for a few hours so the dye will release. I think many women leave it in their hair for hours or overnight. Since i wasn't looking for that (my hair is naturally a lighter brown hue esp after being in the sun), I skipped those steps. I just mixed the henna and put it on my hair right away. I also have never kept it in for more than 40 mins. My hair doesn't look any redder to me, but o guess it would be harder to tell since it's not super dark to begin with.

sckri23

This relaxer is as diluted as it can possibly be I hope I get texlaxed results. I put oil and conditioner in last night and when I was about to start relaxing I put a little motions relaxer base in it first.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I'm kind if sad tonight, I just had to trim an inch and a half off my hair. My hair is healthier, it sheds less, it's growing at a nice rate but I cannot seem to get my ends together. I'm not using heat on my hair, I try to seal and wear protective styles but I'm at a loss for what else to do to protect my ends. I'm lost...

How are you styling your hair normally?

baddison

natural for good

I know exactly how you feel. I also had to chop off close to 2inches. I was BSL, and now back to APL. My ends are quite healthy since, just like you, I dont use heat and I PS 100% of the time. My problem is that some of my hairs grow at a faster rate than others, and I am constantly fighting unevenness. I left it alone for too long until it really started to look unsightly. So we're even again, but for how long....????.....who knows.

Question for you - How do you protect your ends exactly? I find that I get the best protection if I can braid or twist the last few inches of my hair, all the way down to the bottom, before tucking away for my buns. Also, when I moisturize and seal, the ends get a second helping. I keep my ends more moisturized, I would say, than the rest of my hairs. I protective style 100% of the time so heavy, weighed-down hair is not an issue for me.

baddison

natural for good
No not really, I'm going to have to get use to a little color change. I contacted the owner and asked her to recommend a ratio of henna/indigo that will closely match my natural hair. I sent her a few pics of my hair in different lighting show casing my natural hair color and she recommends 3 parts henna to 1 part indigo. My henna is now sitting for color release, I'll keep you posted on the results.

KiWiStyle - I am a regular henna-head. I've been henna'ing my whole head every single month for the past 4 years. I think its safe to say my strands have reached their henna "saturation". I have black hair, but if I stand in the sun just so...you can see a whole lotta red....like a halo. So for the most part, if your hair is really dark, the color may be insignificant, and not so noticeable at all indoors.

divachyk

sckri23 said:
An angry rant.

So I was talkin to my mom today, I forgot what it was about but it was something I read on the internet. She said "you believe everything you read on the internet," ok 1. Im the most skeptical person I know. I mean seriously I looked up about 8 different hair care websites for 2 months before starting my journey but to continue... "like that site you always on, look what they did to your hair!!!!" Ok whaaaatt??? What did yall do to my hair besides help me get to 9 weeks??? Cause I sure as hayl wouldnt have gotten here by daym myself... I made a vow to myself that I wasnt gonna speak a word about my hair to anyone and I havent so why did it come up??? Im so serious about that vow that I didnt even tell her that I stretched to 9 weeks from my usual 4 weeks with the help of yall. Why did my hair come up??? I would say im soo done but I dont know how that possible when I was already done and keeping to it. I dont even say my head itches but somehow my hair came up! Lord I swear yall when I get shoulder length im not gonna look for an apology im just gonna swing my hair.

Chile sckri23, don't worry about that. Do you. Folks/family gonna talk. They will be silenced in due time. Let your hard work speak for itself.