Relaxed Hair Thread

sunnieb

@lindseyerinc looks like the ladies got you covered! This is another reason I prefer buns. Don't have to worry about purse strap mishaps.

@ItsMeLilLucky girl, you just telling the truth! It's why I haven't been to a regular stylist in over a decade. Finding someone who cares about their clients' hair...I mean REALLY cares...is very hard. And I'd rather invest that mortgage/rent payment in caring for my own hair. If I'm going to spend the money anyway, may as well spoil my hair in the process.

MzSwift

My hair seems to love LOC M&Sing better than LCO. It seems counterintuitive bc the thought is to lock in the cream w the oil but my hair actually drips w moisture when I apply the oil before the cream. It's so interesting to me. But I give it what it wants.

Also, it's the season now where I like to rock a knit cap over my satin cap and bandana. My head feels nice and toasty! And I can't help but wonder if the extra body/head heat will be beneficial to my hair.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
My hair seems to love LOC M&Sing better than LCO. It seems counterintuitive bc the thought is to lock in the cream w the oil but my hair actually drips w moisture when I apply the oil before the cream. It's so interesting to me. But I give it what it wants.

Also, it's the season now where I like to rock a knit cap over my satin cap and bandana. My head feels nice and toasty! And I can't help but wonder if the extra body/head heat will be beneficial to my hair.
I'm wearing a braided wig with a You Go Naturals top knot turban lol. I need to figure out a way to cut more of the braids out because it's still kinda bulky.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I don't think I'll be going back to that new salon I tried for my silk press. I have to wait until I wash my hair, but I think the left side is so much thinner than the right, and I have more straighter pieces than then before I went to the new place. Good thing I stretch my relaxers for so long. My hair will have time to catch up. For now it's going into rest mode with my own hair in braids and the braided wig on top until I get tired of wearing it lol.

MzSwift

This is one of the photos I saved for inspiration.
I used to look at this photo at least once a week. It's one of the things that inspired me to live in long term PSs (in addition to seeing the weave and wig ladies on the boards do this IN REAL TIME).
Through consistency and protection, she was able to not just retain but to also improve the quality of her hair!
In just 18 months, she turned her hair around! :love:
I hope it inspires someone else :)

1701520691142.png

ETA: More. Bc I LOVE progress pix!!!!

10 Months!

1701523808065.png

18 months (1 yr and 6 mths)!

1701523289017.png

1701523460335.png

Attachments

• 1701523420810.png
    1701523420810.png
    104 KB · Views: 3
  • 1701523557199.png
    1701523557199.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
This is one of the photos I saved for inspiration.
I used to look at this photo at least once a week. It's one of the things that inspired me to live in long term PSs (in addition to seeing the weave and wig ladies on the boards do this IN REAL TIME).
Through consistency and protection, she was able to not just retain but to also improve the quality of her hair!
In just 18 months, she turned her hair around! :love:
I hope it inspires someone else :)

View attachment 492913

ETA: More. Bc I LOVE progress pix!!!!

10 Months!

View attachment 492927

18 months (1 yr and 6 mths)!

View attachment 492919

View attachment 492923
You are timely.

MzSwift

Do any of you guys still do a mid step protein prior to neutraliser or have you stopped that now.

I still like doing the mid step protein.

Starting back around 2002, I used to when Motions put that little pouch of CPR in their kit.
But then Motions discontinued CPR by the time I started my relaxed HHJ so I started skipping it.
I tried to reincorporate it based on the suggestions on the board but I couldn't find a good CPR alternative.
The Joico K-pak Reconstructor I had left my hair feeling too hard/rough.
CPR seemed to be the only reconstructor that was also moisturizing.

So I've actually switched over to doing a mid-step moisturizing tx and then follow up my neutralizing w a protein tx.
I figure since the point is to infuse nutrients while the follicles are open, then I'll infuse moisture.
I don't know that I've noticed much of a difference in the final results, even weeks after my relaxers. :scratchchin:

Last edited:

sunnieb

Do any of you guys still do a mid step protein prior to neutraliser or have you stopped that now.

I still like doing the mid step protein.

Yep! I've done it ever since I read Sistaslick's detailed article all those years ago.

I also noticed the relaxers I use include a mid step protein in their instructions.

I see A LOT of haircare methods we used way back then are now mainstream. And folks used to call us 'hair-obsessed". :drunk:

LushLox

Yep! I've done it ever since I read Sistaslick's detailed article all those years ago.

I also noticed the relaxers I use include a mid step protein in their instructions.

I see A LOT of haircare methods we used way back then are now mainstream. And folks used to call us 'hair-obsessed". :drunk:

Yes, this is another reason why I do it, as my relaxer instructions say that I should. My hair feels a lot stronger with that shot of protein. Yes the hair is still processing but I simply factor that into my relaxer routine.

Will be relaxing in 4 weeks.

MzSwift

It's the end of the year and I'm getting myself ready to make my personal hair goals for next year. I've seen so much retention from cornrowing my hair and keeping it hidden that I'm gonna continue in 2024. Now that I'm getting some length, I'll be incorporating mini braids/twists more often during the warmer weather.

Looking at my personal hair inspo stash for encouragement and thought I'd share a bit.

Texture wise, Isis' texlaxed hair is top notch for me! Relaxed just enough to make the hair easier to manage but not too much that my fine strands would look too thin.

1702055133171.png

Relaxed twists

1702059096358.png

Relaxed braid outs and twist outs
1702058964159.png 1702058987472.png

1702059032229.png

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I'm going to the US next month (haven't been in seven years) so someone refresh my memory - can you buy relaxers like Mizani without a cosmetic license?

Does JC Penny still sell a lot of hair products?

The last time I got haircare products in the US was 2007 so sorry for the questions.

MzSwift

I'm going to the US next month (haven't been in seven years) so someone refresh my memory - can you buy relaxers like Mizani without a cosmetic license?

Does JC Penny still sell a lot of hair products?

The last time I got haircare products in the US was 2007 so sorry for the questions.

Yay! Welcome!!
Sorry, I'm not specifically sure about Mizani but we can buy tubs of lye relaxer without a license.
Check the Sally Beauty Supply website. They have a lot of beauty products. If they have it there, you should be able to buy it.
I usually order my Motions from there and have it delivered. There should be some sort of note on the product if it's restricted to those with a license.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
It's the end of the year and I'm getting myself ready to make my personal hair goals for next year. I've seen so much retention from cornrowing my hair and keeping it hidden that I'm gonna continue in 2024. Now that I'm getting some length, I'll be incorporating mini braids/twists more often during the warmer weather.

Looking at my personal hair inspo stash for encouragement and thought I'd share a bit.

Texture wise, Isis' texlaxed hair is top notch for me! Relaxed just enough to make the hair easier to manage but not too much that my fine strands would look too thin.

View attachment 492997

Relaxed twists

View attachment 493005

Relaxed braid outs and twist outs
View attachment 492999 View attachment 493001

View attachment 493003
Why you so gorg? Yes my sister pretty hair everything!!

Theresamonet

The same one I've been using for forever lol TGIN Green Tea Leave in.

That was one of my staples when I was natural. I’m sure I still have a bottle in here somewhere.

I’ve been using Nutriplenish daily moisturizer. I’m going through these bottles so fast. With a relaxer, I have to moisturize multiple times per week. As a natural, I only moisturized on wash day.

Im going to pick up some ORS Olive Oil moisturizer and carrot oil hairdress. I used that when I was relaxed back in the early LHCF days, but I don’t remember my impression of these products. Gotta retest them.

MzSwift

My hair has been growing faster than usual this year. I'm not complaining but it's been shocking to me.
I started a hair journal in Feb and went back through my old LHCF hair posts and photos from 2015-2023 to annotate what I was doing throughout that time.
And then I looked through my journal to find a pattern of what was working for me.

I reincorporated those things back into my regi. And I think that is paying off for me.
I won't know for sure until I see my results. It has been less than a year so, to me, that's not enough time to really tell.

I'm reluctantly gonna have to cut my stretch short. My last relaxer was July 10th and I wasn't planning to relax again until Feb-Apr. But I have more new growth than I usually have at this point. ALSO, I'm gonna be hosting a last minute chill night w/the ladies and I wanna be cute. lol
So I'll be relaxing around 24.5 weeks. it looks like I'm gonna have an EOTY relaxer and flat iron after all! :cheers:

I'm kinda nervous but excited to see my progress. I don't wanna feel the disappointment I felt this time last year :(

Last edited: