Relaxed Hair Thread

LushLox

What did you get skincare wise.

Allies of Skin - cleanser, probiotic mist and serum
Elemis - cleansing balm
AHC -Toner and lotion
Oil - Elemis Superfood

I've heard of Allies of Skin before, but this ladies recommendation spurred me on. Simply beautiful skin

Ok this may be a me issue but natural or relaxed after wash day my hair is dry. It feels good right after but next morning dry and I have to spritz it and use more product. I wonder if my hair just is needy.

Could be but it also could be that your DC isn't hydrating enough. Maybe your shampoo is too harsh?

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Allies of Skin - cleanser, probiotic mist and serum
Elemis - cleansing balm
AHC -Toner and lotion
Oil - Elemis Superfood

I've heard of Allies of Skin before, but this ladies recommendation spurred me on. Simply beautiful skin

Could be but it also could be that your DC isn't hydrating enough. Maybe your shampoo is too harsh?
I love Elemis esp the cleansing balm. I have tried so many different combos. Only time it’s not dry dry the next day is using my redken.

Theresamonet

One of the best salon masks that I've bought this year is Ouai's Thick Hair mask (it doesn't matter if you don't have thick hair). This product leaves my hair so beautifully silky and hydrated, it's a real joy to use. It's expensive though, so I tend to buy it when it's on offer, which reminds me that I need to repurchase.

I've been using a Mizani night treatment which has a few nasties in it, but I love the way it makes my hair feel. I've decided that I'm not going to give up on products that worked for me historically, just because of the ingredients. I'll just clarify more if I need to and just see how my hair reacts in the longer term.

I'd really like the Aveda Botanical Strengthening mask because I've heard SO many good things about it, but that price man - ugh!!!

And I've just spent an absolute fortune on a load of skin care, so I'm not going to be buying anymore hair care for a while unless it's replacements.

Thanks! Im going to put the Quai mask on my list of DCs to try.

The Redken Heavy Cream mask was okay. My hair felt soft and hydrated after, but I wasn’t blown away. If I didn’t know what was possible, it would be a keeper. But I’ve had better experiences with DCs. So next up… I have the Olaplex 8 and Aveda deep moisture mask.

Theresamonet

Ok this may be a me issue but natural or relaxed after wash day my hair is dry. It feels good right after but next morning dry and I have to spritz it and use more product. I wonder if my hair just is needy.

What is your routine?

I don’t have an issue with dryness post wash, and I only moisturize 1x during the week. I think I layer more products on wash day than the average. But it’s been working for me.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
What is your routine?

I don’t have an issue with dryness post wash, and I only moisturize 1x during the week. I think I layer more products on wash day than the average. But it’s been working for me.
I typically wash, dc most times w heat. Blow out and braid. When I was natural I did the same minus blow drying. I may try more product. When I moisturize post wash like today my hair feels good for a few days.

MzSwift

:scratchchin: :scratchchin:

What do you do with your hair after you wash it? Do you blow dry, flat iron, wrap? Do you apply any leave ins?

My initial reaction is that it sounds like a porosity thing.

Or it could be seasonal. Are you using humectants in your process or products (glycerin and honey are common ones)? Often, it may feel good immediately afterwards but if the air is more dry out, then it will lead to moisture being drawn out of your hair if you're not reapplying moisture.

Last edited:

MzSwift

I typically wash, dc most times w heat. Blow out and braid. When I was natural I did the same minus blow drying. I may try more product. When I moisturize post wash like today my hair feels good for a few days.

OK, sorry, I replied without seeing this. :blush2:

Ah, yeah sometimes being relaxed can leave us with a higher porosity where moisture is more rapidly lost from our hair so you may have to reapply your moisturizer more often than you did when you were natural.

I honestly can't go without M&Sing or even just reapplying moisture daily, out of habit. I may skip a day or two but I couldn't imagine going days without doing it.

ETA: I've also re-adopted using cones once I relaxed, whereas I was no-to-low cones as a natural. The cones have definitely helped me keep in the water in my strands.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
OK, sorry, I replied without seeing this. :blush2:

Ah, yeah sometimes being relaxed can leave us with a higher porosity where moisture is more rapidly lost from our hair so you may have to reapply your moisturizer more often than you did when you were natural.

I honestly can't go without M&Sing or even just reapplying moisture daily, out of habit. I may skip a day or two but I couldn't imagine going days without doing it.

ETA: I've also re-adopted using cones once I relaxed, whereas I was no-to-low cones as a natural. The cones have definitely helped me keep in the water in my strands.
Ok so that makes me feel a bit better. My hair was like this natural too and I avoid heat like the plague. I have been coating my ends more which helps but after I put my bonnet which is silk paid extra for that thing thinking it would help my hair this morning was dry like I never fed her.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
One of the best salon masks that I've bought this year is Ouai's Thick Hair mask (it doesn't matter if you don't have thick hair). This product leaves my hair so beautifully silky and hydrated, it's a real joy to use. It's expensive though, so I tend to buy it when it's on offer, which reminds me that I need to repurchase.
@LushLox
I have this in a Cart based on your recommendations.:2inlove:

I always peep and see what you're using. :curtain:

I'm also rotating Mizani Nighttime, KeraCare Nighttime and Creme of Nature's Nighttime.

sunnieb

Morning!

I was in the APL challenge for 2022. I didn't make it to APL, but I'm thrilled at the improvement I've made in the last year. I posted year end pics over there, but wanted to share here too:

December 2021:
20211229_111426_resized.jpg
20211229_111350.jpg

December 2022:
20221212_185353_resized.jpg
20221212_184330.jpg

I trimmed last night after this pic, but this is pretty much how I'll end 2022. Now that my hair is healthier, I'm positive length/retention will follow in 2023!

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Morning!

I was in the APL challenge for 2022. I didn't make it to APL, but I'm thrilled at the improvement I've made in the last year. I posted year end pics over there, but wanted to share here too:

December 2021:
View attachment 485055
View attachment 485053

December 2022:
View attachment 485047
View attachment 485045

I trimmed last night after this pic, but this is pretty much how I'll end 2022. Now that my hair is healthier, I'm positive length/retention will follow in 2023!
I pray for this in 23’

LushLox

K18 Professional Mist is the pre-service part of the K18 2-step in-salon service.

The mist was engineered to make hair strong enough to withstand damage that occurs during a chemical service. The pH level of 7.5-8.0 shifts the cuticle layer to penetrate into hair’s cortex and hone in on damage sites, resetting the hair’s healthy canvas before exposing it to the damage of bleach, colour, or other chemical services.
  1. Before all professional and chemical services, mist hair with water (do not saturate).
  2. Section hair, apply 2-6 sprays of K18 Mist per section. Work into hair.
  3. Let sit for 4 minutes to activate. Do NOT rinse out.
  4. Dry hair and process as usual.
  5. Shampoo, do not condition.
  6. Towel-dry thoroughly.
  7. Continue treatment with K18 Mask
Sounds so good, although I wouldn't use it as a part of the relaxer process, probably the wash before.

1671364438381.png

MzSwift

So my mom surprised me and decided that she's flying in for Christmas. Which means I'm hosting the family this year. lol, smh.
I took down my mini braids after 2 weeks in order to get ready for Christmas hosting. That means I'll be able to do a real EOTY photo for my records.

Also, I'm not gonna relax bc I just don't have enough new growth. I'll wait until April/May and use my trusty Motions. I'm still not liking how my hair feels with this Affirm Fiberguard. If there's anyone in the Metro Detroit area who wants the rest of this 5 lb tub ( there's about 3.5 lbs left), just PM me and we can meet up :)

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
So my mom surprised me and decided that she's flying in for Christmas. Which means I'm hosting the family this year. lol, smh.
I took down my mini braids after 2 weeks in order to get ready for Christmas hosting. That means I'll be able to do a real EOTY photo for my records.

Also, I'm not gonna relax bc I just don't have enough new growth. I'll wait until April/May and use my trusty Motions. I'm still not liking how my hair feels with this Affirm Fiberguard. If there's anyone in the Metro Detroit area who wants the rest of this 5 lb tub ( there's about 3.5 lbs left), just PM me and we can meet up :)
Wish I was in Detroit because coffee and you. Do you like motions? I used them way back in the day like as a teen.

MzSwift

Wish I was in Detroit because coffee and you. Do you like motions? I used them way back in the day like as a teen.
:kiss:

I love Motions! I found it made my hair feel very soft and it was easy to not to overprocess. I tried using Vitale Ideal mild lye one time and found it processed my hair much faster. Also it made my hair feel weird, more strawlike, very similar to the Affirm Fiberguard. I think that's the best way to describe why I like the Motions better. HTH! :)

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
:kiss:

I love Motions! I found it made my hair feel very soft and it was easy to not to overprocess. I tried using Vitale Ideal mild lye one time and found it processed my hair much faster. Also it made my hair feel weird, more strawlike, very similar to the Affirm Fiberguard. I think that's the best way to describe why I like the Motions better. HTH! :)
I should have grabbed a jar last week. I’m going to get some for my next retouch.

MzSwift

Still looking back through my old photos to try to align specific practices/techniques with any instances of increased length retention.

This has been my staple/go-to style both natural and relaxed - mini braids pulled back into a ponytail.
1672242540450.png

It's a very low effort way to wear my hair "out" without worrying about overmanipulation. I think they have made me really hair lazy bc all I do is jump in the shower, cleanse and slather on a condish, ponytail, finish my shower and then go on about my day. My hair is done! My ends don't seem to suffer or anything, even as the ponytail got more hang time. I do a baggied bun at night under my scarf about 3-4 times a week. I think that helps. I'd probably have better retention if I baggied every night but some nights I just pass out. lol

I went from Line 9 in March to just past Line 13 in Nov by alternating minibraids with crochet styles.
1672242873032.png 1672243011926.png

April- small braids..................................Oct- minibraids until a week before relaxer
1672243476464.png 1672243326932.png

They worked for me as a natural too.

April.............................................April, 1 year later.........................April, 2 years later
1672244088511.png 1672244158266.png 1672244239574.png

And that first picture was long hair for me bc for the 15 years before that, my staple style was a texlaxed curly little fro. This was the longest I would let my hair get:
1672244604774.png

I have been assessing how reliant I have been on minibraids during my HHJ but they work for me even moreso as a relaxed head bc detangling is so much easier. Sometimes I feel like a hair fraud bc relaxed or natural, my hair is rarely loose. I'll probably be rocking these even when I have grandkids. lol

Last edited:

MzSwift

So all of that came out bc I finished my twist extensions on Xmas Eve and finally just got around to making my herbal braid spray mix. My scalp was so happy when I sprayed it on this morning.

I'm trying to decide if I should relax after I take these out at the end of Jan or if I should go right into a set of crochets. I'm trying to do a personal HYH for 2023 but the minibraids be calling me!!

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
So all of that came out bc I finished my twist extensions on Xmas Eve and finally just got around to making my herbal braid spray mix. My scalp was so happy when I sprayed it on this morning.

I'm trying to decide if I should relax after I take these out at the end of Jan or if I should go right into a set of crochets. I'm trying to do a personal HYH for 2023 but the minibraids be calling me!!
Ok so your gorgeous and my nephew is the cutest! You really have struck gold at what works and thriving!

MzSwift

Ok so your gorgeous and my nephew is the cutest! You really have struck gold at what works and thriving!

:kiss: Aww, thanks! :blush2: He's a handful. lol

That first big jump was from rocking wigs 80% of the time. If I could rock mine as well as you do, I'd live in them!!

For the positive energy you put out, I hope for you to have bundles of positive events manifested back to you!! :love4:

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
:kiss: Aww, thanks! :blush2: He's a handful. lol

That first big jump was from rocking wigs 80% of the time. If I could rock mine as well as you do, I'd live in them!!

For the positive energy you put out, I hope for you to have bundles of positive events manifested back to you!! :love4:
Nephew is just keeping you young with cardio lol. I wish I got that with wigs that’s what always puzzles me like your hidden all the time.
I receive that I need it right now!:2inlove: