Relaxed Hair Thread

Fotchygirl

Wow! I wish I could stretch for that long but my hair tangles and matts so much when it has a lot of NG that I end up losing both length and volume so it's not worth it for me in the end.

I relaxed 3 weeks ago using a Mizani lye relaxer and I'm used to relaxing with a no-lye. CON with argan oil was very nice to me, I don't know why I changed. Anyway about last week I started noticing roughness in my scalp and realized it had burned me. Now I have scabs all over my head and have been putting castor oil on my scalp every night but was wondering if you ladies had any other ideas for treating this.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Wow! I wish I could stretch for that long but my hair tangles and matts so much when it has a lot of NG that I end up losing both length and volume so it's not worth it for me in the end. I relaxed 3 weeks ago using a Mizani lye relaxer and I'm used to relaxing with a no-lye. CON with argan oil was very nice to me, I don't know why I changed. Anyway about last week I started noticing roughness in my scalp and realized it had burned me. Now I have scabs all over my head and have been putting castor oil on my scalp every night but was wondering if you ladies had any other ideas for treating this.[/QUOTE

Fotchygirl maybe try Neosporin or some aloe vera. I've personally tried castor oil mixed with some tea tree oil last time I experienced a scab and it helped.

Last edited:

mschristine

I'm so proud of my hair! I just finished relaxing and it has grown so much! I had severe breakage in the back and middle of my hair and ridiculously see through ends all over back in November. I got box braids and kept my hair hydrated and it has grown back in beautifully. I got 2 inches cut before my last set of braids and it helped. I'm going to get a trim after I flat iron but overall, I'm super happy

SuchaLady

#TeamLongTermStretching

I'm so proud of my hair! I just finished relaxing and it has grown so much! I had severe breakage in the back and middle of my hair and ridiculously see through ends all over back in November. I got box braids and kept my hair hydrated and it has grown back in beautifully. I got 2 inches cut before my last set of braids and it helped. I'm going to get a trim after I flat iron but overall, I'm super happy

SuchaLady

My hair is doing so well :up: Im getting it blown out and straightened for Easter/an interview next week. After that Im going to attempt to protective style for a year straight with cold blowouts in between.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

:yay: way to go mschristine. I regret not getting a good hair cut before my long term stretch. After all is said and done, I will end up chopping some ends. I totally should have done that sooner.

mschristine

:yay: way to go mschristine. I regret not getting a good hair cut before my long term stretch. After all is said and done, I will end up chopping some ends. I totally should have done that sooner.

I still got it cut pretty short to get rid of the last see through ends. So much healthier now. Keeping it simple from now on. I think my breakage came from doing too much

divachyk

mschristine, back in the day, my breakage definitely came from doing too much. I can't quite say that for present day. I think my current issues are over processing from relaxer runoff -- hair just chilling in the shampoo bowl while the relaxer is being washed off.

divachyk

mschristine, I've done the coating thing and it didn't help me so not quite sure. ETA: I suppose the stylist could hold the hair up some kind of way to help the relaxer runoff from causing such an issue but that's asking way too much and expecting way too much. This is a new issue for me, I assume because my hair was never MBL or WL pre-hhj.

Last edited:

danysedai

On a Facebook group someone mentioned a coworker told her that adding Sweet N Low to a relaxer helps with the burning sensation on sensitive scalps. I pooh pooh's the idea until I read on a professional hairstylists forum that many of them (old school hairdressers) use it when coloring hair on sensitive clients. I don't know about using it with a relaxer though but some people on the forum claim it helps.

greenandchic

I don't think I haven't been moisturizing and sealing my hair much lately and I'm seeing tiny broken hairs as a result. I cowashed last night, detangled with a serum and moisturized with Oyin Hair Dew and sealed my ends with Oyin Burnt Pomade. I decided to braid and roll my hair. I couldn't wait until Thursday to redo my hair, it was feeling so dry! My hair is now moisturized and soft - hopefully this is the end of the breakage.

mschristine

It's been raining everyday all week and my hair has frizzed up everyday..it's not long enough to put in a bun or clip. I look so unkempt..I can't flat iron every day...what to do ladies??

ClassyJSP

It's been raining everyday all week and my hair has frizzed up everyday..it's not long enough to put in a bun or clip. I look so unkempt..I can't flat iron every day...what to do ladies??

Try protective styles I wear wigs 24/7 but maybe a sew in, wig, braids or something just until it gets a little longer.

SuchaLady

I need a trim but I'm currently not in the mood to get my hair straightened again. I also don't want to make an appointment with my regular stylist when I only want my hair trimmed. I would let someone at the hair school do it (they let you watch while they cut) but I don't want to get it straightened twice in one month. Especially since it's hot now, it probably won't even last 3 days. First World Problems:rolleyes: