Relaxed Hair Thread

flyygirlll2 we talked strands a few pages back. I rarely keep my strands but this is a shed from my edges area.

Attachments

• 20150214_005734-2-1.jpg
    20150214_005734-2-1.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
\begin rant

As expected, another nice discussion about natural/relaxed hair turns and goes like this:

"Oh me, oh my, there are people in the world who STILL relax???"

"All the highly educated and professional women I know are natural"

"The women I see still relaxed are usually poor and uneducated and want to act like they have money to still go to the salon"

"I just don't get why BW still relax"

"Relaxed hair is so weak, thin, broke, so glad I have all this beautiful luxurious natural hair"

"I'm sooooo glad I'm so educated and informed that I chose to go natural. Hopefully those few relaxed heads left will get enlightened and go natural too"

Now, I've been on this forum long enough plus I'm old so I don't care one bit about these opinions. My concern is that this forum gets like it did before where new relaxed members were hesitant to post and PM'd me questions.

Look naturals, go 'head and be great. Enjoy your natural hair. But, keep this HAIR forum a place where all types of hair are welcome.

/End Rant

Last edited:
sunnieb There was plenty reaching going on in there :giggle: I definitely see many lovely heads of natural hair daily but Ion know bout them outnumbering relaxed heads :look:

\begin rant As expected, another nice discussion about natural/relaxed hair turns and goes like this: "Oh me, oh my, there are people in the world who STILL relax???" "All the highly educated and professional women I know are natural" "The women I see still relaxed are usually poor and uneducated and want to act like they have money to still go to the salon" "I just don't get why BW still relax" "Relaxed hair is so weak, thin, broke, so glad I have all this beautiful luxurious natural hair" "I'm sooooo glad I'm so educated and informed that I chose to go natural. Hopefully those few relaxed heads left will get enlightened and go natural too" Now, I've been on this forum long enough plus I'm old so I don't care one bit about these opinions. My concern is that this forum gets like it did before where new relaxed members were hesitant to post and PM'd me questions. Look naturals, go 'head and be great. Enjoy your natural hair. But, keep this HAIR forum a place where all types of hair is welcome. /End Rant
I had to get out of there! I saw that coming a mile away! Lol

sunnieb There was plenty reaching going on in there :giggle: I definitely see many lovely heads of natural hair daily but Ion know bout them outnumbering relaxed heads :look:
I see jacked up hair (relaxed and natural) where I'm from everyday, all day! Lol Not too many women have yet to get it right! Lol and when I do see a natural head that looks lovely, I go out of my way to give her a compliment! Folks in IL are still on the weave/wig train.

:rolleyes: Say whaaaaaaaa? What thread was that? PM me if need be.

Here's the deal, based on where you live, you may see naturals outnumber relaxed but I have the pleasure of traveling near and far and straight hair still outnumbers kinky hair. I say straight hair because the person could be natural, who knows, nor do I care. All I know is straight hair still out numbers kinky hair everywhere I go...tis all. Carry on.

I saw those "Natural hair is better" responses coming as soon as I read the OP. I read a few posts and clicked right on out. :nono:

Anyhow, I *think* I got a surprise this time around. I was 18 weeks post when I got my touchup the other day. I've been aiming for APL for a while and it seems I skipped right past it and I'm on my way to BSL! At least I think. I haven't taken a comparison pic from last time. But I got weave checked like 4 times the other day. One of the weave checkers was DH. When he saw my hair after I came back from the salon he thought I'd gotten a weave. :lachen:

I recently purchased and truly don't understand the hype. Did nothing for my hair. Let me know if you have better luck. shortdub78
you aren't the first to say that! I was skeptical at first, but I'm a sucker for a leave-in spray. A lot of the sprays that don't work on others, gives me exactly what I need. They usually feel like straight up water! Lol most folks need more substance. I used it on dry hair, on my damn near natural/texlaxed roots and it made my roots so soft and smooth. I used it on one side of my hair to compare.

I'm looking into keratin treatments too to allow me to stretch longer. If I can stretch until the summer, that would be great! If not, 8-10 weeks will do for me.

Hair dryer shorted out this morning when DH was using it. Ill stop by the store and get a cheap one tonight until I find a better one I want.

shortdub78, I'll try it on dry hair (when I unravel my plaits) to see if that makes a difference.
I am air drying right now, and my hair feels extremely soft. I shampooed with Suave Almond, I dc'ed with nioxin on my crown and edges and silicon mix all over, I spray it's a 10, used my silicon mix Bambu leave-in, and CON Eden oil. I wanted to blow dry on cool, but the outlet is acting wonky. I applied a little more of the spray and added some grapeseed oil to my ends. My hair is in a bun. I smoothes my edges down wit Curls curl paste. I plan on washing/dc'ing again on Friday. I will be flat ironing. I will use the spray again during the week too!

shortdub78 I tried to make It's a 10 sing on its own. After realizing It's a 0, I added my other leave-ins to recover. :giggle: So, is it the It's a 10 or your other leave ins leaving your hair soft?

shortdub78 I tried to make It's a 10 sing on its own. After realizing It's a 0, I added my other leave-ins to recover. :giggle: So, is it the It's a 10 or your other leave ins leaving your hair soft?
I did it by itself on dry hair first. Then I used it right after I rinsed out my conditioner, after that, I added my creamy leave in and serum. I always use a liquid leave in for detangling purposes. I air dried and my hair felt soft, but not smooth, so I added some more to dry hair and now I have the smoothness and softness I love! I could probably use it alone without the other leave-in and the CON isn't the best, but I didn't feel like digging for my PM skinny serum.

I wish there was more relaxed heads. I relaxed my hair for the first time in 8 or 9 years I believe last year. when I first found this hair board I was in middle school and decided I wanted to go natural because I didn't remember my hair texture and it was damaged beyond repair. looking back I could have easily grown my relaxed hair out. but I did enjoy my natural hair and loved my texture. but the hour long detangle sessions got old quick and I found my self only wearing my hair in a stretch state or flat ironed after a while. that's why I decided to relax again and I LOVE my hair relaxed. I still have a ton of texture and had to relax my hair all the way through twice to even get it relaxed (I have very thick 3c,4a) hair...I remember when I first joined there was so many Long beautiful relaxed heads and now it's sparse. ..I love watching youtube but even then I think I'm only subscribed to 5 or 6 women with relaxed hair and like 2 or 3 are transitioning. I feel like I joined the relaxed crew too late lol...anyways I'm done rambling. just my random thoughts of the day

one thing that's cool tho is alot of people ask me about my hair and how it got so long and healthy and they assume I'm natural..and I'm like nope relaxed hair can be healthy too! it all about how you take care of it. people are actually amazed to know my hair is relaxed..

juliansmom I think there are still a number of relaxed heads out there. Naturals are just a little more vocal than relaxed so you tend to see and hear them more than relaxed. Don't be discouraged though. We can help you here.

So I just realized I can't count and I'm actually 12 weeks post lol. I'm relaxing tomorrow!!!!

Random thought, why must my scalp always itch so bad right after I decide to relax?!?! It itches so bad!

Fighting auto correct everyday

Hi ladies :wave: I've just subscribed and I'm not really sure where to start, but as I'm relaxed this seemed a sensible place!

I had a bit of an epiphany a few months ago about how badly I was looking after my hair and how little I knew. Basically I had all the bad habits/misconceptions; it's a miracle I still had hair! :nono: Since then I've been experimenting a lot and reading some of the existing threads on this forum but I'm looking forward to asking lots of questions and gaining lots of knowledge from you all! Longer/healthier hair, here I come!

one thing that's cool tho is alot of people ask me about my hair and how it got so long and healthy and they assume I'm natural..and I'm like nope relaxed hair can be healthy too! it all about how you take care of it. people are actually amazed to know my hair is relaxed..

I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions about relaxed hair, and that's something that I will never understand. For some, when they see someone of color and their hair is long and healthy they assume that their hair is natural. Relaxed hair can be long and healthy too:yep:

I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions about relaxed hair, and that's something that I will never understand. For some, when they see someone of color and their hair is long and healthy they assume that their hair is natural. Relaxed hair can be long and healthy too:yep:

pelohello or that they are mixed :rolleyes:

Back