Relaxed Dull Hair

Loving

I need help...my hair is dull and naturally has a dirty brown colour which makes my hair look even duller :ohwell:

Last Saturday I did a dry DC with Design Essential's reconstructor as I will be getting a TU next Saturday. I then used a chelating shampoo for 2 washes, Suave's Almond and Shea Butter for a final shampoo and followed up with the Suave Almond and Shea Butter conditioner.

My hair and new growth is very moisturized but my hair looks dull. I also moisturize and seal nightly.

Where am I going wrong?

sunnieb

I do a honey wash once a week and that gives my hair a natural shine.

Here's the thread.

I also use a cheapy clarifying shampoo (Suave Daily Clarifying) to keep build up at bay. I've never used a chelating poo.

Attachments

• HoneyHairApr13.jpg
    HoneyHairApr13.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 31
  • HoneyEVOO.jpg
    HoneyEVOO.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 38

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Is your hair okay with doing a color rinse or clear rinse/gloss?

Loving

I do a honey wash once a week and that gives my hair a natural shine.

Here's the thread.

I also use a cheapy clarifying shampoo (Suave Daily Clarifying) to keep build up at bay. I've never used a chelating poo.
sunnieb Apparently a chelating poo removes calcium deposits as well as buildup.

sunnieb

I just browsed through the thread. Won't the honey make my hair lighter in color? I'm trying to avoid that.

Heat in the microwave for 12 seconds or so. Heating removes the lightening properties of the honey, but keeps the moisturizing/shine benefits.

bklynbornNbred

You can throw in a hot oil treatment but I don't think you're doing anything wrong with the steps you are taking. The common denominator is the Suave products - your hair may not like it anymore. Using it after chelating is putting the same thing right back on your hair to get the same dullness. I know its a favorite of this board but Suave doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited:

Loving

You can throw in a hot oil treatment but I don't think you're doing anything wrong with the steps you are taking. The common denominator is the Suave products - your hair may not like it anymore. Using it after chelating is putting the same thing right back on your hair to get the same dullness. I know its a favorite of this board but Suave doesn't work for everyone.
bklynbornNbred It's the only shampoo/condish that gets my NG super moisturized :ohwell: I may have to look for another combo though.

Loving

your hair in your pics doesn't look dull to me. can u take a pic of what u mean?
@Mahsiah @Lilmama1011 I know right...but those pics were taken a while ago. My avatar pic is my virgin relaxer (2 yrs ago) and the siggy was about a year ago. I have no pics now but trust me...my hair looks nothing like those pics now.

Even when I relax these days, my hair doesn't look as shiny as it used to be back in the day. And I haven't changed my relaxer. My stylist is going to use Affirm this weekend though. Mizani has been leaving me underprocessed these past few months.

Last edited:

bklynbornNbred

When your stylist does your hair with other products are you getting the same dull result? If so your problem may be internal - go back to basics - water input, vitamins, eating healthy etc.

Loving

When your stylist does your hair with other products are you getting the same dull result? If so your problem may be internal - go back to basics - water input, vitamins, eating healthy etc.
bklynbornNbred I always take my products to ensure I know what's going in my hair so I'm pretty much getting the same result. I drink 8-10 glasses of water per day, take my vitamins and I'm the healthiest I've ever been.

Sigh....I don't know what to do. I'll probably have to try using a clear rinse.

bklynbornNbred

Let her do your hair with different shampoo and conditioner and see what happens. I'm guessing its the Suave. If you've been happy with how she does your hair see if she can refer other moisturizing products that will get you the results you want.