Relax or braid?

Rose1

I went to the hairdresser today to have steam treatment. My usual hairdresser was away so her colleague did it instead. She used to braid and twist my hair for a few years up until June 09 when I decided to relax my hair. She commented that my hair had got really thin and that I should not relax it again and go back to braiding (which I do not want to do as I did it for so long). My hair used to be really thick. Is she being genuine or does she want me to go back to paying her to do braids?

I last relaxed a month ago after having a sew in weave put in at the beginning of October as my hair was breaking. I left some of my hair at the side and front out but as this started breaking I ended up with a full weave to prevent any further damage. My hair length is just above my shoulders. Some of the section of hair which was left out is now about 1.5" long and appears to have strengthened, my edges have also started picking up. One side is now slightly shorter than the other :perplexed. At present when I brush or comb my hair there is very minimal hair loss.

While in Jamaica recently I brought some JBCO and was planning on using it and getting another sew in weave for a few months to have a break from relaxing. I have to admit that I am not the biggest weave fan but this does seem a good way of giving my hair a break. Is it possible to thicken my hair while relaxing as I really don't want to go back to being natural just yet as I did this for years. I don't want to wear a wig either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yen Oak

If your hair is breaking, don't relax or get a weave (too much tension on the hair).

Could you do rollersets for a while?

757diva

Please don't get a relax if your hair is suffering. Take Yen Oaks advice with the roller sets and baby that hair.

Nonie

Can you post pictures of your hair before and now? My straight hair looks thinner than my natural hair but that doesn't mean it's breaking or damaged. A photo speaks a thousand words and would help us help you decide.

Rose1

Yen Oak & 757diva - I'm useless at roller setting I find it difficult to do and also find sleeping in rollers uncomfortable. What would rollersetting do to my hair? Would it improve the condition? As I mentioned in my post, there is now minimal hair loss when I comb/brush my hair. Basically when I comb/brush I would expect a few hairs to come out.

Nonie - The pictures I have of me before I relaxed are of when my hair was braided or twisted with extensions or when I used to twist my own hair. So you will not be able to see the thickness of my natural hair.

Rose1

Sorry, just to clarify, it's the sides, crown and some of front which is thin. The back still has some thickness. Apologises for missing this info out.

Rose1

Ok, so I have decided to give roller setting another go with different rollers this time, not the ones that dig into your scalp when you're trying to sleep. Does anyone have any advice on achieving a good roller set as whenever I try I can't seem to wrap all of the hair in each section around the roller. Also will I need to roller set every night?

ChocalateDiva

Ok, so I have decided to give roller setting another go with different rollers this time, not the ones that dig into your scalp when you're trying to sleep. Does anyone have any advice on achieving a good roller set as whenever I try I can't seem to wrap all of the hair in each section around the roller. Also will I need to roller set every night?

No, you dont roller set every night just whenever you was your hair. I cant give you any advice on the rollersetting, cause I suck at it.:perplexed

I go to a local beauty school and get my hair rollerset. It only cost 5.00. I wash and DC at home, apply my leave in and oils, slapped a processing cap on and drive over to the school for my rollerset. :yep: