Red Palm Oil

Pinkicey

I was going through YouTube videos and I came across a video with an Indian woman with very long thick hair. She said she uses red palm oil on her hair. There were other videos with Indian women who claimed they used red palm oil. I know that with the Indian race, long hair is obviously very common, but I was wondering if any Black women use the red palm oil. I'm curious to know if Black women would get the same results for length retention. Almond oil was another oil that I heard mentioned a few times too. So does anyone use red palm oil, almond oil or both, and what have your results been?

southerncitygirl

Indian is not a race its an ethnic group cause Indians are Asian:look: (I have a pet peeve about folks mixing up race, ethnicity and nationality).

Their hair is usually stronger while being coarse which helps with their retention in addition to being straight or a looser curl/wave (usually but not always). I think the likelihood of the hair strand having more cuticle layers is more common with Asian hair. The techniques and products help but I know many Asian folks who take crappy care of their hair and it withstands tons of abuse before showing the effects of damage while many folks would have long been bald or had truckloads of breakage and split ends.

There are a few ladies on here who in the past used red palm as a part of their concoctions but I am not sure if they kept it up for the long term. I suspect all plants int he palm family have wonderful benefits for the hair that are similar plus have extra depending on the plant (babassu, coconut, etc.)

Here's a thread talking bout ladies using it:yep::

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=697377&highlight=red+palm+oil

Red palm is awesome for cooking (as is coconut) and based on extensive research I have done they should be the only oils used for high temp cooking (300-450) cause they don't go rancid like other oils with so called high smoking points, they just need to be unrefined.

all_1_length

I don't care much for almond oil. It's ok but I prefer oils that penetrate the hair shaft, they condition my hair better. Now coconut oil is a bomb-a** hair conditioning prepoo if there ever was one.:grin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've Purchased 'several' pre-made products that contained Red Palm Oil.

But, I've never purchased/used the Oil by itself.

Keep us posted should you decide to try it.

Pinkicey

Indian is not a race its an ethnic group cause Indians are Asian:look: (I have a pet peeve about folks mixing up race, ethnicity and nationality). Their hair is usually stronger while being coarse which helps with their retention in addition to being straight or a looser curl/wave (usually but not always). I think the likelihood of the hair strand having more cuticle layers is more common with Asian hair. The techniques and products help but I know many Asian folks who take crappy care of their hair and it withstands tons of abuse before showing the effects of damage while many folks would have long been bald or had truckloads of breakage and split ends. There are a few ladies on here who in the past used red palm as a part of their concoctions but I am not sure if they kept it up for the long term. I suspect all plants int he palm family have wonderful benefits for the hair that are similar plus have extra depending on the plant (babassu, coconut, etc.) Here's a thread talking bout ladies using it:yep:: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=697377&highlight=red+palm+oil Red palm is awesome for cooking (as is coconut) and based on extensive research I have done they should be the only oils used for high temp cooking (300-450) cause they don't go rancid like other oils with so called high smoking points, they just need to be unrefined.

Thank you for the info but I know India is in Asia. I just didn't want anyone to think Chinese Japanese Korean etc because from what I've seen their hair is usually bone straight. I've had South Asian Indian women ask me what kind of hair products I use, and I've always wondered what my hair would do if I used their products.

Pinkicey

I've Purchased 'several' pre-made products that contained Red Palm Oil. But, I've never purchased/used the Oil by itself. Keep us posted should you decide to try it.

I might end up trying it, and I will let you know. Today I'm trying a new shampoo, Keracare (one of the ingredients is neem oil and I have sebhorriec dermititis). I don't want to put 2 new things in my hair at once because if I don't like something I won't know what it is.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I tried red palm oil, 100% virgin cold pressed (yada, yada...lol) and tbh I was not that impressed with it. I did not like the smell and for my hair it behaved as coconut oil would. I ended up not finishing the jar and just used my better smelling coconut oil.

I believe there is a deodorized version though (I think) and I have never tried that.

Lisa

I have a bottle in my cabinet that I've never opened. Dr Oz was praising the benefits so I bought some but as usual I forgot how I was suppose to use it once it came. :lol: I've since taken Dr Oz off my DVR :grin:

mshoneyfly

I have recently planned to buy organic virgin red palm oil after researching and seeing that B-n-B has it in stock. I found this article and also a blog of a natural lady who uses it as a deep conditioner. I understand that many African people use it for cooking. I plan to use it for prepooing and DCing only; especially if it has an unpleasant smell.

I also have come to LOVE coconut oil for my hair. Last night I used some virgin organic to fry some talapia fillets and MAN was it GOOD!! :lick: This weekend I will be ordering another tub just for my hair and keeping the one I have in the kitchen.

I am also planning to whip up a cocoa butter, coconut palm oil whip for my skin as the palm oil is supposed to be great for the hair. We already know the benefits of coconut oil for the hair.

Here is a link to one article on its benefits for hair and skin.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6026373_benefits-palm-oil-hair-skin_.html

Pinkicey

I might end up trying it, and I will let you know. Today I'm trying a new shampoo, Keracare (one of the ingredients is neem oil and I have sebhorriec dermititis). I don't want to put 2 new things in my hair at once because if I don't like something I won't know what it is.

I tried the Keracare cleansing cream and loved it. The bottle says it's a new formula.

meka72

I use red palm oil in an oil blend that I sometimes use on wash day. I primarily use it to cleanse my face using the oil cleansing method.

I wish someone had told me that it stained before I started using it. Lol.

mshoneyfly

I use red palm oil in an oil blend that I sometimes use on wash day. I primarily use it to cleanse my face using the oil cleansing method. I wish someone had told me that it stained before I started using it. Lol.

meka72
What other oils do you mix with red palm, please? Does mixing it stop it from staining? How much of each oil are you using to make your mix?

I LOVE this HHJ!!

meka72

meka72
What other oils do you mix with red palm, please? Does mixing it stop it from staining? How much of each oil are you using to make your mix?

I LOVE this HHJ!!

I take a kitchen sink approach to my oil blend. Lol. I'm trying to use ceramide oils so I include (about 1 tsp. each) grapeseed oil, safflower oil, wheat germ oil, sunflower oil and hemp seed oil along with (about 1/2 tsp.) red palm oil and almond oil. I have no reason why I use those measurements though.

Although the oil blend is red-orange, like the red palm oil, I haven't noticed any staining. I sleep on silk pillowcases and haven't noticed any staining. That said, I have a TWA and am wiggling it so staining hasn't been a concern for me.

Queenie

I've used it off and on over the years for hot oil treatments. It does not do anything that coconut oil can't do (which I've been using for over 10 years). I get it at African stores. Yes, it stains.