Red Palm Oil Vendors

Um.... Rushgirl... What are you going to do with that Red Palm Oil? I use it for cooking - please don't tell me you are gonna put it on your hair! Seriously, I was going to order from Safari Market but something is wrong with their shopping cart system so you can't order online. I ended up ordering from the Drfostersmith website - they sell pet supplies but they also sell the same brand of Red Palm I've purchased from the store for cooking (also the same brand that Safari Market sells).

BTW - That stuff smells awful!!!!

Thanks girl.. I was gonna use it for both..internally and adding to a hair recipe concoction.. you can't put it in your hair?? It smells bad??

There is another place that sells Red Palm Butter, as well as the oil.. I assumed it was like Cocoa Butter, Mango butter etc..so you could put it in your hair? That's not so???

Hey Rushgirl!

Have u tried Avocado oil..its really good for curly type hair. Its my favourite and I add it to conditioner. I defintely notice a difference.

I've never heard of this red palm oil

Rush Girl, there is no need to spend that money on some Red palm oil online. Go to the La Fruiteria on 89th and Commerical. I don't know how much it is going for but IMO you are better off getting it from there.

buffalosoldier: I haven't gotten the Avocado oil yet..but I plan too..I think they have it at the grocery store... or we have Whole Foods.. I might see if they have it there I think they carry Aubrey stuff too which I have been DYING to try...

Champagne_Wishes: Is there only one La Fruiteria store here? I live on the north side.. in Wicker Park..North Ave and Ashland.. I never go to the south side so sometimes it's easier to just order it online... is there a good BSS near La Fruiteria??? That would make it worth the drive..:lol:

RushGirl said:
Champagne_Wishes: Is there only one La Fruiteria store here? I live on the north side.. in Wicker Park..North Ave and Ashland.. I never go to the south side so sometimes it's easier to just order it online... is there a good BSS near La Fruiteria??? That would make it worth the drive..:lol:

You should have an African store or Carribean store on the North Side most definately. Heck most of my relatives used to live in the North Side. You can try Delray's Market, sorry I don't know the address. The one I know of is on Clark St[sic]. I think there is a market off the Red Line, either on Berwyn or Bryn Mawr.

Champagne_Wishes said:
You should have an African store or Carribean store on the North Side most definately. Heck most of my relatives used to live in the North Side. You can try Delray's Market, sorry I don't know the address. The one I know of is on Clark St[sic]. I think there is a market off the Red Line, either on Berwyn or Bryn Mawr.

Would it be like in the yellow pages under African?? I've seen a Delray somewhere..I'll look it up.. if it's near Bryn Mawr..even better..my son goes to school on Sheridan..right at Grandville..so I can stop there on the way to pick him up or after I drop him off..

Thanks girl!

Dolapo said:
You could just go into any African store. They always have palm oil

I'm trying to find one.. I just don't know any names..there isn't anything in the yellow pages under "african"

you could just drive around. lol. most of them usually dont have african names so it'll be hard to look for one in the yellow pages. Or.....you could go to a farmer's market, chinese food store, or asian food store. Something like that. I have like a gallon at home. what exactly do you guys want it for???
:confused:

RG: I highly recommend the spectrum avocado oil which can be bought at wholefoods or anywhere really. It's refined but still is really good and it lasts forever!! I need to get some more !!

RushGirl said:
Would it be like in the yellow pages under African?? I've seen a Delray somewhere..I'll look it up.. if it's near Bryn Mawr..even better..my son goes to school on Sheridan..right at Grandville..so I can stop there on the way to pick him up or after I drop him off..

Thanks girl!

Hmmm...Maybe. But it is best is to ask where to buy palm oil or ask someone who is Nigerian, Ghana, etc. Sorry if I couldn't be any more help. It's been a while since I wandered over to the North Side. Plus some Caribbean stores carry palm oil.

Dolapo: I was gonna use it for cooking and for some sort of hair recipe..but virtuasis said to please not tell her that I was gonna put it in my hair..so I guess I can't use it that way...lol

buffalosoldier: I will be going to Whole Foods to get some of the Avocado oil..Thanks girl!

Champagne_Wishes: You helped plenty!!! Do you live in Chicago???

RushGirl said:
Champagne_Wishes: You helped plenty!!! Do you live in Chicago???

Ermmmm...Yeah gurl!!!! You see me posting some landmark streets and what not :lol:. Currently I am in school in Indiana but come home about every 2-3 weeks. I hope you are able to locate that palm oil. My mother uses it for cooking but never considered using it for hair. Too dang orange and my dad would have a fit.:lol:

Okay - here's the deal. I don't like the smell - some people don't mind it, but the smell makes ME naseous - I have to leave the room when cooking with it.

I decided to experiment the other day and make an oil blend out of Wild Growth oil, some FUBU oil, my very own special oil blend (with Amla, Brahmi, others), and diluted Cinnamon/Rosemary oils - I then got super creative and added some Red Palm Oil - the result - a smell not any worse than WIld Growth - so I think you can get away with it.

However,

It is VERY red/orange and will stain clothes, bedsheets, etc. It will probably also add an orange glow to your hair and scalp, so if you plan to use it for hair, please be careful.

Champagne_Wishes said:
Ermmmm...Yeah gurl!!!! You see me posting some landmark streets and what not :lol:. Currently I am in school in Indiana but come home about every 2-3 weeks. I hope you are able to locate that palm oil. My mother uses it for cooking but never considered using it for hair. Too dang orange and my dad would have a fit.:lol:

Well, I know you were posting landmarks and whatnot..:lol: ..but I thought it seemed like maybe you lived here before but not now.. kwim?? I'm not that dumb..:lol:

After what virtuasis just said..now I'm not sure if I want it at all...:lol: is it bad to just eat like a spoonful of it?? Does it taste bad on it's own?? Anyone know?

I've never smelled Wild Growth Oil...virtuasis..but most people do say it smells bad.. is it THAT bad??

Taking spoonfuls sounds like a good idea, doesn't taste all that bad - not any worse than Cod Liver Oil.

And personally I don't think Wild Growth smells that bad - but it's just not a good smell to be runnin' around with - but according to others here, the intensity of the smell varies by the batch.

virtuasis said:
Taking spoonfuls sounds like a good idea, doesn't taste all that bad - not any worse than Cod Liver Oil.

And personally I don't think Wild Growth smells that bad - but it's just not a good smell to be runnin' around with - but according to others here, the intensity of the smell varies by the batch.
i think WGO smells like a strong curry; i like it.

virtuasis said:

eww..cod liver oil..sounds like it would taste gross..lol I don't know what to do...

RushGirl said:
Well, I know you were posting landmarks and whatnot..:lol: ..but I thought it seemed like maybe you lived here before but not now.. kwim?? I'm not that dumb..:lol:

After what virtuasis just said..now I'm not sure if I want it at all...:lol: is it bad to just eat like a spoonful of it?? Does it taste bad on it's own?? Anyone know?

I've never smelled Wild Growth Oil...virtuasis..but most people do say it smells bad.. is it THAT bad??

Honestly it tastes like eating grease(palm oil). It doesn't have a flavor per se. But the texture may throw you off.

Back