Red Palm oil or Black Castor oil, can someone give me the basics

gymfreak336

So I just went threw the long haitian thread and got a little overwhelmed. Can someone give me the basics about these oils.

1) What are the differences between these two oils
2) Do you use them and if so how
3) Where can I buy them online

Thanks Ladies

Hair Iam

Hi, I use organic black castor oil "the dark one" it’s less refined. I mix 1/2 castor oil with 1/2 coconut oil. I this on my end, I believe this has helped me to moisturize &retain my ends.

Soul♥Flower

castor oil and palm oil are two different oils. Palm oil is used in alot of west african food recipes. If your grocery store has an ethnic food section you may find it there. The only kind I've ever seen is solid at room temp and comes in a can.

...btw, palm oil makes fried chicken taste soooo good:p

toniy

I was wondering about the palm oil also. I see it in the Phillipino grocery stores right beside the bottled coconut oil and thought about using it as a conditioner because it was a lot cheaper. Didnt buy it because I didnt know enough about it. I will do a google on it now just becuase...

D

donewit-it

Red Palm Oil can be used as a pre-poo. When my hair was relaxed, I would put some in my hair before going to the doobie shop. I rinsed out yellow and messing none the less my hair was always looking good and moisturized. I wonder if I need to purchase some as a natural. Why not, couldn't hurt. Right? My hair is already thick as I don't know what so Black Castor oil is not on my list of things to get. After the new year I'll look into buying the red palm oil if I can keep these braids in til the new year.

carameldiva

I have used both and yes they are very different. I used Jamaican Black Castor oil ( same texture as reg. castor oil) when i was seeking thickness. I purchased it at sams. I am currently using virgin red palm oil( creamy at room temp- liquid at higher temps). I purchased it from www.agbangakarite.com. I absolutely love the softness that it gives my hair and it is full of vitamins and minerals. I add it to my deep conditioner and also use it for my overnite oilings. HTH

KiniKakes

Im familiar with Palm Oil, as my mother uses it when she makes a West African spinach stew dish that we eat with fufu. But ive never heard of using Palm Oil in the hair! Interesting......

Royal Glory

KiniKakes said:
Im familiar with Palm Oil, as my mother uses it when she makes a West African spinach stew dish that we eat with fufu. But ive never heard of using Palm Oil in the hair! Interesting......

Yeah, KiniKakes! The red palm nut oil is wonderful...at least I can attest to it in the Ojon products. I need to try it this way, though because it is 10 times less expensive. But I read on a one of the LHCF threads that it is messy to use and stains towels. But the results are fabulous.

FunkyDiva

carameldiva said:
I have used both and yes they are very different. I used Jamaican Black Castor oil ( same texture as reg. castor oil) when i was seeking thickness. I purchased it at sams. I am currently using virgin red palm oil( creamy at room temp- liquid at higher temps). I purchased it from www.agbangakarite.com. I absolutely love the softness that it gives my hair and it is full of vitamins and minerals. I add it to my deep conditioner and also use it for my overnite oilings. HTH

You can get Jamaican Black Castor Oil at Sams? The regualar Sam's Club? I hope so because I've been wanting to try this

ak46

KiniKakes said:

Yep...I'm west african and red palm oil is a major ingredient in a lot of our cooking. I've never even thought about it being used in hair. I was even shocked yesteday when I went to Whole Foods to get coconut oil and saw it there in the same aisle :eek: . My family members get it straight from africa. All I know is it can stain your clothes pretty well.:p

keluric

when someone mentioned sams, she meant www.sams247.com

they sell the black castor oil and they ship FAST.

isobell

KiniKakes said:

Kini I know that stew well, yum! Are you african?