Recovered Product Junky (PJs READ!)

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Hi! I've been lurking around LHCF for the past six months and decided to join today!
smile.gif
I noticed (like all hair care forums) that probably 90% of us suffer from from PJ syndrome! (at varying degrees of course
laugh.gif
) So I figured I'd share my recovery from PJ syndrome!

Almost a year ago my hair suffered from a bad no-lye relaxer and broke off A LOT (calcium buildup)
mad.gif
Desperate to revitalize my hair, I went from hair care forum to hair care forum trying to find the special serum! My hair was so dry I tried using everything to keep moisture in. All the products made my hair stiff, heavy, and utimately dull. After wrestling with a bunch of products that were doing absolutely nothing for me, I opted for a new plan! I remembered that as I child my mom used to use maybe four products at most and I had beautiful hair. So I decided to limit myself to ONE (maybe two) shampoos, ONE conditioner, ONE leave in, and a Moisturizer.

Although it was hard, I FORCED myself to keep to my word, and even though there was trial and error in picking the products, it was still better using fewer products than loading a bunch of stuff on my hair.

To keep the post short, I've found five products that I absolutely LOVE and have done wonders for my hair. I've used the same regimin and products for over 7 months and have not waivered from it ONCE! My staples are Design Essentials Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner (whew!) and Biosilk Silk Therapy. These are my MIRACLE products. I haven't used one single drop of oil, butter, or sheen in the past six months besides my bottle of Biosilk. Not ONE DROP! (my full regimine is at the end of the post.)

So anyway, wrapping up! I've been sober from PJism for six months and my hair is the healthiest it's ever been. It's shiny, it's light as a feather, and NO SPLIT ENDS!
shocked.gif
I never go to the salon except for touchups with a LYE relaxer (every 2 1/2 months). And I also wear my hair down every day. I can count on my hands the number of times I've worn my hair up in the past 3 months. No lie! Every time I go home my sisters ask me what I'm doing to my hair.
party.gif
party.gif

So anyway, just wanted to share my testimony! I'll be posting my pictures as soon as possible. Just remember, fewer products work just as well (if better) than many! Save some money!

MY REGIMINE (note: this is all done in the shower)
Every 5 days I...
Shampoo once with Design Essentials Organic Cleans Shampoo
Shampoo again with Design Essentials Moisturizing Shampoo
Deep condition with Design Essentials Stimulations for 3-5 minutes and finger comb.
(NOTE: Yes, only 3-5 minutes!)
Spray in Surge as a blow drying agent.
Blow dry with a comb attachment.
Smooth in Biosilk and flat iron from root to tip.

Then your done! My whole regimine takes me about an hour and 15 to an hour 1/2, depending on how much time I have to flat iron.

Sounds like you're doing good.

I hear you on the 3 - 5 minutes of conditioning. This is the amount of time I keep moisturizing conditioners on my hair. It works well for me.

Hi Jujuboo,
wave.gif

That is awesome! I am working on trying the same thing with only using fewer products as well. Since I keep changing with so many different products my hair is suffering too. You are an inspiration and continued success with your regimen and welcome to the forum.

Welcome and Thanks for sharing Jujuboo.
wave.gif

ITA, less is more, but it's hard not to try some of the lhcf's styling techniques and products.
look.gif
I've improved and am not as tempted as I used to be.

I'm back to my old routine (with a few tweeks), which I have been doing for years. If it ain't broke,......

P.S...I love your screen name
smile.gif

I loved reading your testimony. I too am trying to "Down Size" things. I'd like to find something that works well for me, and stick to it for a year, to see the results from it, ya know!!! I'm tired of ALLOWING myself to be tempted by trying new products!

Great Post!!!
It's definitely true that less is more. When my hair was healthiest relaxed, I was using 4 products! A shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, and moisturizer! That's it. I know with transitioning and eventually being natural that I will probably have 7-10 regular products but as long as I am not trying new things and hence, wasting money. I have been downsizing a lot in the just past few months and I can't wait to have a simplified routine that actually works!

Thanks for sharing this again!
smile.gif

Welcome Aboard.
I have lot of products to I am getting rid of the ones I dont use much to family.
I went back to using some of my old products that worked for my hair before joining the board.
I am a sucker if I find a good deal or a marked product for 2 or 3 bucks.
grin.gif

I WISH I could be this prudent about product use, but my hair is stange. It just doesn't like anything consistently enough to make this work for me. I'm glad it worked for you though, girl!
smile.gif

I guess some folks are just lucky. I do have a good core group of products right now.

Very good post. I was also thinking about how I've been jumping from product to another product. So, if someone asked me what product was contributing to the health of my hair, I would have NO idea. Not good. I have also decided to stick with one system.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I WISH I could be this prudent about product use, but my hair is stange. It just doesn't like anything consistently enough to make this work for me. I'm glad it worked for you though, girl!
smile.gif

I guess some folks are just lucky. I do have a good core group of products right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a "core group" --that's what I'll call it
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I WISH I could be this prudent about product use, but my hair is stange. It just doesn't like anything consistently enough to make this work for me.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you found a group of products that are working for you now. I know what you mean about products feeling dull after a while. This is the longest I've EVER stayed with the same group of products. I guess design essentials and biosilk are the ones for me!

My inspiration came when I realized that professional stylist do not load the hair with a bunch of products. Usually they keep to four to five products each visit. I always wondered what the secret was. The secret's out! find products that do what they say and that's all you need!
wink.gif

Well - now if we're talking products PER wash, I'm with you. I have enough products to stock my own beauty supply store but I still only ever use shampoo, conditioner, leave in and a serum unless I'm wearing my hair curly...

So I hear you on that. I just need more options for the product brands I guess - the product types stay the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Yeah, a "core group" --that's what I'll call it
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so right and I could use a lecture about right now! This board makes u want to try every product ppl mention thinking its a miracle product, but really theres no such thing. The main thing is a consistent regimen I guess. Design Essentials is a great line and u are right, simple is usually better. When I get on a PJ binge, my friends and family say my hair is going to fall out from using too many different products...lol. Now that u mentioned it, for a whole year my regimen was exactly the same as yours(minus the organic cleanse and sometimes Id use the 6 in 1 reconstructor) and I wore a ponytail piece, and my hair grew like crazy. Every week I would just wash with the moisture retention, condition with stimulations or 6 in 1, and put it up wet and attach my phonytail, oil sheen it,tie my edges down with a scarf till it dried, and go. thats the most progress Ive ever made by having a simple regimen and leaving my hair alone. I need to keep that in mind while I watch my product collection grow and my bank account shrink...haha:)

Couldn't be a more timely post!
grin.gif

After the PJ Challenge (and getting the products I was DYING to try, I've dwindled it down to my major products)

SHAMPOO: Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo
CONDITIONER: Paul Mitchell The Detangler
Conditioner Washington: Nature's Gate (whichever one I like at the moment, maybe Suave Milk & Honey to switch it up)
LEAVE IN: Aveda Elixir Leave On Conditioner
MOISTURIZERS: Carol's Daughter Some of Marguerite's Magic and my butters
PRODUCT FOR WEARING MY COILS OUT ON SPECIAL OCCASIONS: L'Oreal's Nature's Therapy Taming Curls Creme (works really well for maintaining frizz)
DEEP CONDITIONING (once a month): Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer
PROTEIN TREATMENT (once every 2-3 months): TIGI Bed Head Chocolate Head

I'm looking to downsize some more, but I dunno if I'll be able to.
drunk.gif
I'm getting better though.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
You are so right and I could use a lecture about right now! This board makes u want to try every product ppl mention thinking its a miracle product, but really theres no such thing. The main thing is a consistent regimen I guess. Design Essentials is a great line and u are right, simple is usually better. When I get on a PJ binge, my friends and family say my hair is going to fall out from using too many different products...lol. Now that u mentioned it, for a whole year my regimen was exactly the same as yours(minus the organic cleanse and sometimes Id use the 6 in 1 reconstructor) and I wore a ponytail piece, and my hair grew like crazy. Every week I would just wash with the moisture retention, condition with stimulations or 6 in 1, and put it up wet and attach my phonytail, oil sheen it,tie my edges down with a scarf till it dried, and go. thats the most progress Ive ever made by having a simple regimen and leaving my hair alone. I need to keep that in mind while I watch my product collection grow and my bank account shrink...haha:)

[/ QUOTE ]

oh I've heard GREAT things about DE's 6 in 1 reconstructor. I love their Stimulations conditioner. I stick to just that because my stylist does a reconstructor when I see her for my relaxers so I figured I'd just deep condition at home. I'm glad you found a regimen and products that work for you!

I want to pare down also. As soon as I use up my 10 extra bottles of conditioner wash conditioners, I will only use Mizani Moisturefuse. That will help somewhat.

Also, I will give up one product for every new product I purchase.

whyme.gif
whyme.gif
SHAME ON YOU, JUJUBOO! As a recovery product junky, I would think that YOU of all people would KNOW BETTER than to 'name' the 5 products that you pared down to. For the rest of us product junkies, all that we're thinking when reading your post, "THAT'S 5 MORE PRODUCTS THAT I HAVE TO PICK UP FROM THE BSS AFTER WORK TODAY!!!"
driver.gif
Girl, don't you know that that's like telling an "out-of-town alcoholic" where all the local ABC stores are!
spank.gif
spank.gif
Just kidding! Welcome to the forum!
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bollyhair said:
whyme.gif
whyme.gif
SHAME ON YOU, JUJUBOO! As a recovery product junky, I would think that YOU of all people would KNOW BETTER than to 'name' the 5 products that you pared down to. For the rest of us product junkies, all that we're thinking when reading your post, "THAT'S 5 MORE PRODUCTS THAT I HAVE TO PICK UP FROM THE BSS AFTER WORK TODAY!!!"
driver.gif
Girl, don't you know that that's like telling an "out-of-town alcoholic" where all the local ABC stores are!
spank.gif
spank.gif
Just kidding! Welcome to the forum!
wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

::hides:: ah! I'm sorry! Shame on me! hehe

Back