Recent surgery and SERIOUS shedding! (LONG)

honeebutta

Hello Everyone!
I've been lurking for a while and I absolutely love the advice and support that everyone gives and receives here. If it wasn't for the wonderful people here I'd probably be bald headed due to the the serious shedding that I am experiencing. I had major surgery in November, and was warned that I may experience major hair loss 3-6 months after surgery. Because of this board and my own research, I began taking supplements for general health and hair health prior to surgery. I only air dry and use the oils and conditioners that have been recommended here. I thought that I was home free because my shoulder length hair grew to about 2 inches past my shoulders in the back and was in pretty good condition. Then, about 3 weeks ago, the serious shedding began. I am not really experiencing breakage, but the shedding is bad. I understand that anesthesia and surgery can put an abnormal amount of your hair follicles in telegen effluvium (resting stage where they fall out and are replaced by a new follicle). I learned this here on LHCF. Thank God I have fine but thick hair or I would really be distressed. It is getting really this though, and I'm losing lots of long strands everyday. I had resolved my breakage problems before and now this. But I will not be defeated! I do however need advice from the wonderful LHCF members. I have relaxed 4a hair with some 3b parts. I color my hair with Fusion Kollection by Mykon. It's permanent color but has no peroxide or ammonia, similar to Bigen. My hair is growing wonderfully thanks to supplements, no heat and moisture, but the shedding is making it ragged. what do you ladies recommend? Should I cut it, get braids, leave it alone (continuing my current regimen) and use protective styles. You all are are the best and I anxiously await your advice. Thanks to all of you!

Edie

Even though hair does shed a lot after surgery (anethesia) you have to handle it just as you would your normal shedding period. Protein conditioners, along with lots of moisture. Go up on your B complex vitamins and biotin (if you can handle it. Brewer's yeast is great. I used this prior to my surgery. It is great for wound healing. Also do the green foods, especially chlorella. I read somewhere where Chlorella helps your body to regenerate it's cells every 12 hours, instead of every 72 hours.

honeebutta

Thanks Edie! I've been taking biotin and extra B-complex, a multi, 1700mgs of MSM, and EFAs. I recently, within the last month added spirulina, l-cysteine, l-methinione and silica. I'll have to get some separate Chlorella. It's in the Vegetable and Fruit supplement that I take but maybe I need more. I appreciate your input.

Allandra

I had major surgery in December 2003. As of now, I haven't experienced any more shedding than usual. I'm still following my regular hair care routine and taking the same vitamins. I agree with what Edie stated above (you have to handle it just as you would your normal shedding period). Please keep us posted.

honeebutta

I'll continue my regimen, up the supplements and try not to panic. My frustration makes me want to hack my hair off because it seems so thin to me. Of course, no one else has noticed, but you know how that is. We can be our on worse enemies when it comes to issues with our hair. I guess braids aren't a good idea with the heavy shedding. Maybe a good trim to shape it up, lots of protein and moisture. Thanks ladies! Gotta love ya!

A_Christian

I agree with the advice everyone has mentioned and it sounds like you've got a good plan to counteract the shedding. Try not to worry about it too much, I know that's easier said than done. I had a major surgery a several years ago and lost a lot of hair afterwards , but with continued care it grew back. I'm sure your hair will continue to thrive as you recover, especially with the great advice on the boards. :)

Donda

I just went through major surgery also and between it and stress(three close friends deaths in 9 months) my hair was sheeding. Like you I started vitamin suppliments(Stress B complex) nightly. I also tried Motions breakage recipe http://www.motionshair.com/ht_4ss_hb.cfm which is using their CPR every four days, you simply rinse your hair apply the CPR and put on a plastic cap for 15-20 mins. Rinse your hair and style as normal, you continue to do this for a month or ten treatments. Between it and the vitamins I've stopped my sheeding.

Hope this helps :)

honeebutta

Thank you for your advice and encouragement AC! It is hard not to think about it, but I know that my hair will recover. It's weird because it is growing wonderfully but the shedding is hiding the growth. However, the Lord's Grace and Mercy brought me through the surgery, so I know my hair will be healed.

honeebutta

Donda, I am so sorry about the loss of your friends. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and offer advice. I'm going to try the Motions regimen, and continue my supplements. I hope that like you it will stop or at least decreasr my shedding. I hope that you are recovering well from your surgery. It will take so much longer to recover from the loss of your friends. My thoughts and prayers are with you.