Quick question about Aphogee

KiniKakes

Hi ladies!

For those of you who have successfully done an Aphogee treatment, I wanted to know:

After you apply the aphogee and comb it through your hair, do you keep your hair combed down and straight back (onto the towell), then sit under the drier to harden? Or do you comb the Aphogee thru the hair, and then pile the hair on top of your head, and sit under the drier to harden?

Which is best? Will combing it straight back to lay on my back/towell cause it to break if I move my neck/head to much under the drier? Or, is it more damaging to bunch the hair together and place it on top of the hair as it hardens? I know not to touch it or try to manipulate it after it hardens, but I assume there is a brief period between the application and the hardening process when you can move the hair to where it needs to be.

This will be my first time doing the treatment and, although I plan to follow the instructions on the container verbatim, it does not indicate which is better.

Thanks ya'all!

Nita81

KiniKakes said:
Hi ladies!

For those of you who have successfully done an Aphogee treatment, I wanted to know:

After you apply the aphogee and comb it through your hair, do you keep your hair combed down and straight back (onto the towell), then sit under the drier to harden? Or do you comb the Aphogee thru the hair, and then pile the hair on top of your head, and sit under the drier to harden?

Which is best? Will combing it straight back to lay on my back/towell cause it to break if I move my neck/head to much under the drier? Or, is it more damaging to bunch the hair together and place it on top of the hair as it hardens? I know not to touch it or try to manipulate it after it hardens, but I assume there is a brief period between the application and the hardening process when you can move the hair to where it needs to be.

This will be my first time doing the treatment and, although I plan to follow the instructions on the container verbatim, it does not indicate which is better.

Thanks ya'all!

This is what I do....I don't know if it's better or not. HTH

*ElleB

Hi!

I think either way would be fine, as long as you do it quickly, keeping the maipulation to a minimum. You may want to think about putting it in a position where it can get the maximum heat circulation as evenly as possible....

HTH

KiniKakes

*ElleB said:
Hi!

I think either way would be fine, as long as you do it quickly, keeping the maipulation to a minimum. You may want to think about putting it in a position where it can get the maximum heat circulation as evenly as possible....

HTH

So bending it up or piling it on top of my hair won't cause it to be damage/broken once its hard? Great! Then I guess i'll do that......

dimpalz

I dont think there should be any combing, that stuff starts working so quick. I've done it using some adapted c&g method. Put your hair in some chunky braids, down and to the sides, pour the mix down the braids and squeeze thru then leave it down. If you're hair is so long that the braids sit on the towel u can put the aphogee thru them and then "fold" the ends back to root and pin them.

I definitely think piled up isnt a good idea, "combing" back is better hth =)

Nita81

KiniKakes said:
Which one do you do, Nita? I gave you 2 choices. :lol:

I bolded it on the quote

comb the Aphogee thru the hair, and then pile the hair on top of your head, and sit under the drier to harden?

cutiebe2

kind of related...
Should I do an Apogee Treatment if I have natural hair, or will that be protein overload?:look:
I am also interested in finding out how to do this correctly so keep the replies comming!

Sistaslick

I make a small center part and comb my hair down and around on all sides, removing the tangles. At this point, I already have a towel draped around my shoulders. Then I spray the aphogee on from a pump bottle, quickly comb, and smooth throughout the hair. I keep the hair in a downward direction as it dries. I've never twisted the hair up or piled it anywhere. :nono: I guess I figure the external protein will dry in a more organized arrangement or something-- (which is only pure speculation on my part, btw. :lol: )

I usually remove the towel before it starts drying in too well b/c my hair sticks to the towel like glue once it dries. I use a blowdryer w/ the airflow directed downward rather than a hooded dryer to speed up the process- which is pretty quick anyway except at the roots for me.:) You can move your head in normal movements with the treatment dried in-- but I'd avoid combing or anything exaggerated. Once fully dried, I hop back in the shower and use a pail I keep in the shower to slowly pour water over the dried hair. I have to avoid the direct shot of the shower head b/c our water pressure will make a grown man cry- I can't even picture that battering on my fragile wet strands.:nono:

dimpalz

Cutiebe2, protein and moisture treatments can be done on any hair. If you hair is over-soft and mushy it might need a protein treatment. Aphogee is very strong so it depends on the damage. Take a look at the sticky on damaged hair to see what way you should be going.

I always thought my naturally soft hair was great, I hardly ever used conditioner when I was natural and I think thats why it didnt grow very long at all; it was just naturally deficient. You'll definitely need to examine your strands.

LaNecia

Sistaslick said:
I make a small center part and comb my hair down and around on all sides, removing the tangles. At this point, I already have a towel draped around my shoulders. Then I spray the aphogee on from a pump bottle, quickly comb, and smooth throughout the hair. I keep the hair in a downward direction as it dries. I've never twisted the hair up or piled it anywhere. :nono:
That my lady is an awesome suggestion, I'm wondering why I never thought of it. I also find piling the hair on top makes sitting under the dryer very time consuming. Thanks!!

MizaniMami

Um, personally I wouldn't do ANY combing while the aphogee is it. When I did it ( I did emergencee like aphogee last night) I always wait until AFTER I condition to detangle the hair. If you really want to detangle I would def. receommend you do it waaay before the aphogee is in.

Because for me as soon as I apply the aphogee my hair starts to get a little hard.:eek: Just please don't detangle while the aphogee is in!

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I pile my hair on top of my head because you don't want it to touch and stick to anything at all. You have to be extremely careful not to manipulate your hair when using it because you could experience breakage especially if your strands are fine.

KiniKakes

Sistaslick said:
I usually remove the towel before it starts drying in too well b/c my hair sticks to the towel like glue once it dries.

Sistaslick, so since you keep your hair down, and remove the towell..... this means your hard hair is just laying on your bare back? Does it stick to your skin at all? And if so, is that a problem when you get in the shower, or does it soften and unstick from your skin as the water rinses the Aphogee out?

Do most folks start with dry hair, or do most of you shampoo or at least wet the hair first?

Sistaslick

KiniKakes said:
Sistaslick, so since you keep your hair down, and remove the towell..... this means your hard hair is just laying on your bare back? Does it stick to your skin at all? And if so, is that a problem when you get in the shower, or does it soften and unstick from your skin as the water rinses the Aphogee out?

Do most folks start with dry hair, or do most of you shampoo or at least wet the hair first?

Yep. :lol: It does stick to my skin a bit, but I'd rather that than sticking to a towel. Once I hop back in the shower and begin gently pouring the water-- it softens and releases with no problem at all. :yep:

You should use it on freshly washed hair for best results.

KiniKakes

Sistaslick said:
Yep. :lol: It does stick to my skin a bit, but I'd rather that than sticking to a towel. Once I hop back in the shower and begin gently pouring the water-- it softens and releases with no problem at all. :yep:

You should use it on freshly washed hair for best results.

THANKS sis!!!!! :)

Synthia

MizaniMami said:
Um, personally I wouldn't do ANY combing while the aphogee is it. When I did it ( I did emergencee like aphogee last night) I always wait until AFTER I condition to detangle the hair. If you really want to detangle I would def. receommend you do it waaay before the aphogee is in.

Because for me as soon as I apply the aphogee my hair starts to get a little hard.:eek: Just please don't detangle while the aphogee is in!

When I comb through my hair with Aphogee, it's not to detangle, it's to get the treatment on every single strand, as the bottle suggests. I just work quickly, without tugging and then leave my hair alone.

I let my hair dry straight back on my back so that the shower water doesn't cause great stress during wash out.

kreeme

Girl, let that stuff dry on your back and not a towel. It will break your hair off almost instantly. I did that once and from then on I just did without the towel. I had a sticky back and all, but I'd rather it stick to me than the towel. Oh, and don't pile it up on your head. Just detangle your hair first with a wide tooth comb, then put it in there in sections and comb though (quickly) with the wide tooth comb again because it dries really quickly.

Sorry if I repeated what the other ladies said. I just responded without reading the other comments. :lol:

Sistaslick

Synthia said:
When I comb through my hair with Aphogee, it's not to detangle, it's to get the treatment on every single strand, as the bottle suggests. I just work quickly, without tugging and then leave my hair alone.

same here :yep: Otherwise, the application turns out uneven for me. Some parts strong and well "proteined" other parts still soft and mushy:lol: Especially my thicket.:lachen:

beana

I apply it while my hair is hanging straight down and finger comb it in very slightly. and i dont use a towel or anything because im afraid my hair will stick and dry into the towel. so this whole thing is very messy and sometimes my ends never harden, but i feel like my hair gets a lot from this treatment.

alonshaw

After the Aphogee hardens, before i rinse it out, i spritz it softly but heavily with room temperature water this helps to soften my hair back to a regular state, before my shower beats it up,can you say snap crackle and pop?