Questions for those of you who wear wigs....

AHeadOfCoils

Is there any preparation you all do to prevent your edges from breaking off? I just started wearing a wig yesterday and my po' head is throbbing from this tight *blank* wig.. It doesn't even have side combs and my head is hurting... Is it safe to cut the drawstring out of the wig and avoid the hair falling out or unraveling? or would the wig be too loose in the end?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I never use the band thing to keep it on and it stays on fine.

I moisturize, seal and tie a men's durag on my hair. And it keeps it nice and moisturized and the wig stays on. No edge damage either.

AHeadOfCoils

I never use the band thing to keep it on and it stays on fine.

I moisturize, seal and tie a men's durag on my hair. And it keeps it nice and moisturized and the wig stays on. No edge damage either.

OMG! Why didn't I think of a men's durag?! My hair is very moisturized but the wig cap is super tight on my head ... Thanks! I'm going to grab one of those in a few.

reeko43

I tried the do rag and my wig just slides back and forth. I even tried the wig cap over the do rag and without it. Tried pinning and that made everything worse. My edges are thinning. I am just going to wear them once or twice per week.

AHeadOfCoils

^^ Maaan! My biggest fear is my edges disappearing. I love my edges & would probably drop dead without them. I think I just need to get braids and call it a day. This whole wig business probably isn't for me.

I'm at that whole in between stage with my twa. Wash n goes aren't a 5 min job anymore. It takes a while to rake the product through and I just wanted an alternative style. Thanks!! :)

Poopiedo

I tried the do rag and my wig just slides back and forth. I even tried the wig cap over the do rag and without it. Tried pinning and that made everything worse. My edges are thinning. I am just going to wear them once or twice per week.

Take your durag strings and wrap in the back, bring both strings toward the front, then around the back again. Tie the strings in a bow in the back and tuck the strings under. Take the wig combs and insert under the string that you brought towards the front. This keeps combs from digging in your hairline. See if that helps you. I use the durags that don't have the long tail in the back. I get it from Sally's.

I hope you understand my description because that's how I do mine and it never slips. I moisturize and seal before I put on my durag like IDareT'sHair and I've never had edge damage from a wig either.

I can't use wig caps because it's made of that drying nylon and most are so tight I feel like I want to snap on people and all they are saying to me is Good Morning.

reeko43

@Poopiedo, I did try the doo rag without the tail and tied as you describe. I have not tried tucking the combs under the strings. I have had to cut the front combs out of several wigs and one came without a front comb. The pressure of the comb(which I stopped tucking in my hair because of breakage) against my scalp hurt and caused breakage. Will this work with just the combs in the back?

Poopiedo

@Poopiedo, I did try the doo rag without the tail and tied as you describe. I have not tried tucking the combs under the strings. I have had to cut the front combs out of several wigs and one came without a front comb. The pressure of the comb(which I stopped tucking in my hair because of breakage) against my scalp hurt and caused breakage. Will this work with just the combs in the back?

You will probably need something in the front to keep it from sliding back. Try pinning the wig to the durag. I don't use my back comb at all, only the front.

Lady S

I ignore the combs and just use bobby pins. I also make sure to moisturize your edges before and after.

What wig did you get?

Someone on a previous thread suggested putting little cuts at the sides of the cap. Haven't tried it though.

I've used men's wave caps and strangely enough, those mesh weave caps. The mesh works really well for me. The traditional wig caps are too tight on my head.

AHeadOfCoils

Freetress Celtic Girl. It's a half wig and I only pull out a little of my hair in the forehead region. The hair is so big that I don't need any of my sides out.

baglady215

I found a nice satin cap at Walmart called DriSweat. It's a mens cap. My wig doesn't slide on it.

I also make sure I concentrate on my edges and nape more when moisturizing.

s4pphir3

I wear a full lace wig every day so I need to have something neutral colored to make my part look natural, so I use a wig cap and place an ace bandage over it. This keeps the cap from sliding back. I switched from using wig combs to bobby pins and my wig stays secure and I also place my wig 1/2 an inch behind my hair line, the bangs of the wig still cover my hair in front and it blends wonderfully. I moisturize & seal nightly and massage my edges with jbco & ppo.

Lady S

Freetress Celtic Girl. It's a half wig and I only pull out a little of my hair in the forehead region. The hair is so big that I don't need any of my sides out.

Cute half wig! Half wigs tend to be really tight on me when they're the half wig/drawstring ponytail type. I think it's because they're designed to be worn an inch back from your hairline. IMHO the regular, non-drawstring full caps are less tight. And then of course, there's the regular non-traditional wig.

ladysaraii

I was noticing some issues, so I bought a silk beanie to wear as a wig cap. It seems much gentler on my edges than the wig caps