Question re: Shedding Hair

nita4

Hi Ladies, question:

I've read several post re: shedding hair and birth control. Honestly, I never connected the two. I've been on birth control pills for years and I've always sheded hair especially around nine/ten weeks post relaxer with alot of outgrowth and in the winter. It has never really bothered me because I always thought it was natural. Especially in the winter, I just thought it was my natural hair cycle to shed in the winter. Either way my hair still grows and doesn't thin to the point of alarm.

So, my question is...is shedding really a bad thing?

My only concern would be one certain spot of shedding or breakage. Otherwise should I be that concerned?

What do you ladies think and does any one else go through this???

Tracy

I shed every fall Nita....

And no - As long as you don't notice any thinning spots or breakage in your hair - if it stays the same density and thickness - then I'd say that it's fine and it's just your hair living out it's natural and unique life cycle....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

aqualung

I also tangle shed more during combouts as I get new growth close to touchup time. It's the relaxed hair that's tangling, not the new growth.
Since I don't wanna touchup more frequently, I'm trying to use the detangling agents in my signature, and I'm wearing my hair immobile in a bun.

A

AmilLion

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Ladies, question:

I've read several post re: shedding hair and birth control. Honestly, I never connected the two. I've been on birth control pills for years and I've always sheded hair especially around nine/ten weeks post relaxer with alot of outgrowth and in the winter. It has never really bothered me because I always thought it was natural. Especially in the winter, I just thought it was my natural hair cycle to shed in the winter. Either way my hair still grows and doesn't thin to the point of alarm.

So, my question is...is shedding really a bad thing?

My only concern would be one certain spot of shedding or breakage. Otherwise should I be that concerned?

What do you ladies think and does any one else go through this???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you read the pamphlets on certain birth control brands, I know with the tri-orthocyclen (sp?) there is warning of hair loss. Prior to taking the birth controls pills, I would shed at most 3 to 4 strand during combs out, and now, it's mos def more. The shedding started approximately 2 weeks after starting the birth control pills and continued more than 2 weeks after taking them.

nita4

Amilion,

Yes, I've seen this warning, but what's a girl to do?? I was just wondering if "maybe" this is the reason it seemed to me that maybe I was shedding more then some. I sometimes get more then 3 to 4 hairs per comb out. At ten weeks post I get way more then that and in the winter...I shed

Hopefully, if you are still taking them your body will adjust soon.