Question for straightened naturals

sheba1

Please forgive if this is a stupid question. I am still a newbie, after all. :look:

If you prep your hair after moisturizing and then add a cone filled heat protectant, roller set or blow dry, flat iron, etc. How does moisture get to your hair between the time that you add the heat protectant and the time that you wash again?

I know there are naturals here that wash biweekly and someone with gorgeous hair that I saw that washes monthly, keeping her hair straight most of the time. But I'm curious as to how the hair stays moisturized. Even with adding an oil that penetrates the shaft, wouldn't the cones keep the oil from penetrating?

SVT

If you prep your hair after moisturizing and then add a cone filled heat protectant, roller set or blow dry, flat iron, etc. How does moisture get to your hair between the time that you add the heat protectant and the time that you wash again?

I don't see how one could moisturize effectively with a layer of cones on the hair and I know my hair needs moisture treatments often. For this reason, I wash at least weekly. :yep:

Misshairdiva

Sabino Moisture Block. This is the ONLY product that has allowed me to wear my hair straight without reversion. I can do it two ways. One put it on my hair and then rollerset. Or put it on my hair, blow dry, put more on and flat iron.
The site is: www.sabinohair.com

click on banner and check it out!

sheba1

Sabino Moisture Block. This is the ONLY product that has allowed me to wear my hair straight without reversion. I can do it two ways. One put it on my hair and then rollerset. Or put it on my hair, blow dry, put more on and flat iron.
The site is: www.sabinohair.com
click on banner and check it out!

Thank you, Misshairdiva! Girlfriend, no clicking needed, I have it in my bathroom! :lol: I'm not a regular straightener, however, but I plan to be one day. Can I ask you a few questions?

How long do you wait to wash after you straighten?
How do you keep your hair moisturized while straight?
Do you feel that the moisture is getting through the moisture block?

Misshairdiva

How long do you wait to wash after you straighten?A week
How do you keep your hair moisturized while straight?Sabino Moisture Block locks in the moisture so there is no need to put anything else on your hair (Now I sound liek their infomercial! lol
Do you feel that the moisture is getting through the moisture block? Moisture Block is all I put on my hair and I didn't need to put anything else on.
Have you used it yet???

sheba1

MissHairDiva, I love it!!! I think it's fabulous that the hair doesn't need any more moisture for a whole week! I could definitely see myself being a straight natural by Fall of 2010. By then I hope to be MBL and rocking straight protective styles with weekly roller sets. :pray:

TyHill21

MissHairDiva, I love it!!! I think it's fabulous that the hair doesn't need any more moisture for a whole week! I could definitely see myself being a straight natural by Fall of 2010. By then I hope to be MBL and rocking straight protective styles with weekly roller sets. :pray:
I hear ya...... I wanna be a straight natural also when my hair gets longer I will definitely wear more protective styles.

lilsparkle825

I use coconut oil to moisturize, and this is after using Sabino MB or CHI Silk Infusion as a heat protectant. I moisturize at night, wrap my hair or put it on flexirods, and in the morning I am good to go. I got a blowout 2 weeks ago and moisturized maybe twice in the two weeks since then, then today I went back to the salon and started over.

akgirl

I made a whipped blend of mostly coconut oil, then some jb castor oil (a humectant), jojoba oil, and a little aloe vera gel. I'm waiting for some sodium lactate in the mail to see how that will work to keep it moisturized.... I use sabino too, but it's too dry where I live to just rely on that for moisture. It wears off my hair a little as each day goes by and I need to keep my roots moisturized.

akgirl

oh and I forgot to mention jane carter nourish and shine..hair feels GREAT after...a LITTLE goes a long way though...and smells great too

Gracie

When I do straighten I moisturize first then use the a thermal spray, use coconut oil nightly wash and condition in a week. I am thinking that I might try Sabino Moisture Block

Allandra

Please forgive if this is a stupid question. I am still a newbie, after all. :look:

I know there are naturals here that wash biweekly and someone with gorgeous hair that I saw that washes monthly, keeping her hair straight most of the time. But I'm curious as to how the hair stays moisturized. Even with adding an oil that penetrates the shaft, wouldn't the cones keep the oil from penetrating?
I'm not sure if one can moisture the hair (or properly moisture the hair) then.

Before I straighten my hair, I make sure my hair is properly (and well) moisturized before applying cones. So, by adding the cones, I'm sealing in the moisture. Each day while my hair is straight, I add a little serum for smoothing and for shine. This works for my hair, and it has been for years (without any negative effects). :)

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I apply coconut oil to my roots and castor oil to my ends when needed. I find that castor oil, especially on my ends keeps my hair quite moisturized. I also use SMB when flatironing. My hair certainly doesn't feel/look dry and i have minimal breakage. This can last for 2 weeks, easy.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I'm not sure if one can moisture the hair (or properly moisture the hair) then.

Before I straighten my hair, I make sure my hair is properly (and well) moisturized before applying cones. So, by adding the cones, I'm sealing in the moisture. Each day while my hair is straight, I add a little serum for smoothing and for shine. This works for my hair, and it has been for years (without any negative effects). :)
:yep: agreed. I make sure I've conditioned well before hand, and used a good moisturizer/leave-in.

snillohsss

I can go about a week without adding moisture. I don't seal my ends daily when I am straightened, but I might take a small, small dab of Cantu Shea butter and rub that throughout my hair, and it is nice and moisturized in the morning.

My hair stays moisturized longer when straightened then when natural. I "believe" it is because the cuticles are sealed with the heat from straightening.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Is it just me?
Do you guys notice that you shed less hair when your hair is straightened rather than curly - regardless of the style?

Summer79

Never tried Sabino. I use Chi or Silk Elements as a protectant and use coconut oil (warmer months) castor oil (colder months) everyday maybe twice a day, denpends on the weather. Thinking about mixing the two together to see what happens

tdwillis

Is it just me?
Do you guys notice that you shed less hair when your hair is straightened rather than curly - regardless of the style?

Yes, I do. But I am really starting to like my naturally curly hair. I just found out that serum actually helps me with that.

melodies815

Is it just me?

I don't know...for me, it's the opposite. I break more when my hair is straightened. In fact, when I did a length check about 3 wks. ago, I noticed little broken hairs for about a week. My hair did NOT like that heat. :nono: When kinky/coily, my hair doesn't break at all. It only sheds, which is fine since the bulb is attached at the end.

I do want to be able to straighten my hair when it's longer. I probably didn't use enough protectant when I length checked a few weeks ago...

cj