Question for naturals

Junebug D

When you are ready to wash your hair after wearing twists (or a twist-out) for a while, do you comb your hair out of the twist-out, or detangle before washing/pre-pooing? Or do you jump right into washing the twist-out? if you comb or detangle first-- wet or dry hair?

I most definitely detangle before washing whenever my hair has been in a loose style like a twistout or braidout or I'll have a nightmare of a time trying to do it afterward.

ETA: I keep forgetting things! lol. I detangle with fingers, not a comb, and it's saturated with some type of detangling product. Then I braid it in 6-8 big braids to clarify, CW or "DCowash" :)

Last edited:
I don't comb my dry hair. I separate my twists/curls with my fingers to make sure there are no knots that will get worse when I wet my hair. Kind of like the same thing you would do if you were coming out of extension braids.

Once I'm in the shower I stand under the shower head for a while and make sure it's soaking wet before I put my hands in it. The shower water and gravity pretty much detangle it for me.

When you are ready to wash your hair after wearing twists (or a twist-out) for a while, do you comb your hair out of the twist-out, or detangle before washing/pre-pooing? Or do you jump right into washing the twist-out? if you comb or detangle first-- wet or dry hair?

I always undo my two strand twists on wash day (if I'm doing an overnight pre poo then I undo them one day before), and I jump right into washing, I don't comb it at all. I like it because I can actually 'reach'/touch my scalp and put the shampoo on it (hope this makes sense).

If the twists are still in I take them down. Once they are down I just wash as usual.
I don't detangle first. I do however let the water flow through them helping the detangling process.

i undo my 2strand twist, get in the shower and condition first. i usually bring a wide tooth comb in there and start combing it until its tangle free. then i shampoo, then put the conditioner back in and leave it in.

My hair is almost identical to yours. I detangle my dry hair with my fingers first because if I don't those clumped strands of hair stick together after I wash and dry and act like dreads and are really hard to detangle.

I only DCowash, so I soak my loose hair with conditioner, and then fingercomb it. Then I let it sit, for my DC, and then fully detangle with the DC still in. Then I rinse. I don't comb my hair dry or without being soaked in conditioner. :nono:

After a twistout or twists, I do a casual check for any major tangles or knots. If I find any I remove them with my fingers. Then I proceed to wash and condition my hair in the shower as usual. That said, it usually is not a problem since I do a really good comb out in order to put in the twists or braids, and I sleep in a satin cap.

Whenever I have two-strand twist in and its wash day, I take them out, detangle and then start my pre-poo process.

I have recently been using Qhemet's ghee. I first spray my hair with my tea spray (nettle, fenugeek, green tea, etc.) Then I work a little ghee into it and then detangle with a large tooth comb. This method has worked really well for me.

I detangle first. I have a spray bottle with water, I spray each section and load it up with conditioner then detangle. Once my whole head is detangled I then get in the shower and wash.

I prefer to wash with my braids or twists in, but if my hair is loose I detangle with my fingers in 4 sections under running water. I let the water run on 1/4 of my hair for a few minutes and then finger detangle and braid that section while letting the water run on another quarter section. The force of the running water really detangles my hair well. I don't use a comb in my hair other than for creating parts and then I'll use the rat tail end for that.

If I have been wearing a twist-out, I finger comb and retwist before washing. If I am already in twists, I just wash in them. I always wash in twists.

I detangle first. I have a spray bottle with water, I spray each section and load it up with conditioner then detangle. Once my whole head is detangled I then get in the shower and wash.

This is the method I use as well. It works great for me.

Back