Naturals- Do you rinse your twists?

Junebug D

I was wondering if any of the naturals out there rinse or co-wash with twists in? When it is time to untwist do you have more or fewer tangles this way?

I co-washed my twists and then wore a twist-out the following week. And today when I shampooed and detangled, I had a whole lot of tangles & breakage. :sad: I'm wondering if it was from the co-washing or maybe just from wearing the twist-out afterwards?

empressri

It might have been from the twist out. After you rinsed, did you take the twist out right then? Or was your hair still damp, cause if that's the case I'm pretty sure that's why you had tangles. I rinse my twists sometimes in the hotter weather but when I take them out I have no tangles.

Sho_iz_pretty

this is a great question because my daughter has twist that I put in, so I should let them dry after a COwash? then take them out?

Twisties

I am able to rinse and co-wash with no problems.

What causes tangles for me is the amount of time I leave the twists in my hair - I can't go beyond 2 weeks or I get tangles (I call it the onset of locking tangles).

If I do a twist-out, I saturate my hair with a thick conditioner and olive oil and let it soak for a while before combing (try to use fingers first, then wide tooth comb) or there will be problems...

jkamiel

if the twists are small, heck no i don't rinse but if they are medium-sized or on the larger side then yes.. small twists will knot up and get tangles for me.

it also matters how moisturized my ends are... the more moisturized my hair is the less likely it will tangle

anherica

I never wash my hair loose, so it's either twists or plaits. You might have run into the tangling problem because of either the twist-out itself, or washing your hair loose, without some predetangling, after wearing it.

shae101s

I co-wash with my twists in a lot of the time about 98% i love it, so easy to do. For me my hair doesn't puff up until about the 3rd co-wash with them in. I say try it out see how it works for you.

lwilliams1922

I was wondering if any of the naturals out there rinse or co-wash with twists in? When it is time to untwist do you have more or fewer tangles this way?

I co-washed my twists and then wore a twist-out the following week. And today when I shampooed and detangled, I had a whole lot of tangles & breakage. :sad: I'm wondering if it was from the co-washing or maybe just from wearing the twist-out afterwards?

I never rinse or cowash with twists in. I'm sure it varies from head to head but i find I have fewer tangles/breakage when i condiditon well and use additional conditioner to detangle.

Nonie

I never wash my hair loose, so it's either twists or plaits. You might have run into the tangling problem because of either the twist-out itself, or washing your hair loose, without some predetangling, after wearing it.

Ditto. :yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I do not rinse my hair while it's in twists. I've tried it before and ended up with a tangled mess. I like having dry twists.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Double post...adding Can anyone do this without fuzzing up their twists?

Last edited:

oooop2

Yes, but only when I am about to undo them soon. I love my twist looking fresh, and once water hits them, they start looking a bit too frizzy for me. But I love how my twistouts look if my hair has been wet a day or 2 prior. Gives it more fluff/body.

My siggy is the result of twistouts done on my hair that was wet 2 days prior.

oooop2

Wetting your hair w/ a pantyhose over your head does REDUCE the amount of frizz. But I found that this only works if you tend let your twist drip-dry (no squeezing out excess water/using a towel). And that can be annoying.

Nonie

The fuzz doesn't really bother me. I actually love my twists best when they start looking fuzzy:

Last edited:

misstobz

I have been wearin twists under my wig over the winter. Spaeking of winter can you belive it was -12 degrees last night -brrrrrrrr!!! Anyway I usuallyco-wash my twists and once a week DC. When I DC I remove my twists and DC. Well I am trying to increase my DC to about 3 times a week? Do you think it would be ok to DC hair in twists? Would I need to clarify/shampoo each time I DC'ed?