Question for all Phyto users....

Jazzy413

So Ive been reading some posts about how dry Phyto relaxers have been leaving some members' hair. Is this the case with all Phyto users?? Is this because it is a no lye relaxer? Has anyone been able to combat the dryness they get after the relaxer? I know there are some die hard Phyto users on here, so let me hear from all of you guys!!! I am looking to texlax with Phyto Index 1 soon and if I can avoid some of the potential problems ahead of time, then I would love to get some advice!!! Ive seen Sareca's regimen and shes got some great additions that I think I will be trying, but Id love to hear from all the Phyto users out there.

kiesha8185

Hey,

I self relaxed twice with Phyto, and didn't really get the results I was hoping. I did get straight in the front, but it left me underprocessed every where else. My hair was much drier than when I got it done at the salon. I thought maybe I did it wrong, so I tried it again, and I did it in halves. Still came out very underprocessed and my hair was dry-looking and lifeless. I didn't like :nono:. I had to wear twist outs to get some sort of body/volume. My next relaxer will definitely be lye.

Princess Pie

I had dry hair with phyto initially. The problem for me was not neutralizing properly. I think phyto is a little bit more difficult to neutralize than some other no lye relaxers I've used. I personally do not like the neutralizing poo or reconstrutor that comes in the kit. I substitute products that I know will work for me, and have had better results.

I also think that people may be getting underprocessed results because they aren't using enough relaxer. I tried using half a container, and it wasn't enough. Then I tried using the whole container, and the results were better. Finally, I began using 1 1/2 containers, and the results were amazing (very expensive, but amazing). If you just want to texturize you probably don't need to use more relaxer, but for straighter hair it might help.

Jazzy413

Im definitely hearing that neutralizing properly is the key with Phyto. So is it really not much relaxer in the kit? I want to be texlaxed but not necessarily under processed in some areas!! I just don't know:nono:

Princess Pie

The amount of relaxer is comparable to other kits I've used, but IMO it doesn't go as far. It's hard to explain, but it goes on like other relaxers, so you'd think your hair would be as straight as other relaxers... but it's not. It's almost like you need more than the store kits to get the same amount of straightness (if that makes sense). Then, I thought I'd just process longer, but that didn't really help. It wasn't until I used more relaxer, that I got the results I was looking for. Now, I use more relaxer, process for 10-12 minutes, and get the results everyone raves about. I use index 2, and like my hair straight, but not bone straight (a little wave).

jasmin

Initially I loved Phyto and I do think it really works for others. There wasn't enough to relax with. Eventually I couldn't buy moisture so therefore I had breakage. It was just so dry. It was hard to neutralize. I would have to wash like more than five times and I still never felt like I got it all. Eventually after about 4 uses I had to give it up. This is just my experience but there are a lot of heads that it works for.

Misseyl

I had dry hair with phyto initially. The problem for me was not neutralizing properly. I think phyto is a little bit more difficult to neutralize than some other no lye relaxers I've used. I personally do not like the neutralizing poo or reconstrutor that comes in the kit. I substitute products that I know will work for me, and have had better results.

I also think that people may be getting underprocessed results because they aren't using enough relaxer. I tried using half a container, and it wasn't enough. Then I tried using the whole container, and the results were better. Finally, I began using 1 1/2 containers, and the results were amazing (very expensive, but amazing). If you just want to texturize you probably don't need to use more relaxer, but for straighter hair it might help.
I agree with the bolded areas.. When neutralizing, sometimes it takes me 45 minutes to wash the relaxer out. Also the reconstructor leaves my hair rough if I leave it on for more than the allotted time.

I usually stretch for 16 weeks and I use the entire container everytime and get professional results. I normally relax w/out gloves and smooth the relaxer in like it's nobody's business and always achieve the results that I'm looking for...

MonaLisa

• Have used Index 2 for almost 3 years, no issues with dryness or anything else that seems to be problematic for a lot of people that use/have used Phytorelaxer.
  • I use a 1/2 container per touch up.
  • Hoping that you have a good experience with the product if you use it :)

Kacie

I have found that some products work well for neutralizing and conditioning initially following the relaxer. Personally, I hate that milky reconstructer that comes with the kit, it made my hair rock hard. So if you experience dryness post relaxer, it may be the products are not compatible with the relaxer.

pattycake0701

My mom planned on buying the Phytorelaxer tomorrow from Sephora. Her hair is all natural and I'm thinking its about shoulder length. Her hair is thick, not as thick as mine but very thick. She planned on buying index 2 (or whatever its called). Do you guys think one kit will be enough? She was choosing between this and ORS relaxer.

ShiShiPooPoo

My mom planned on buying the Phytorelaxer tomorrow from Sephora. Her hair is all natural and I'm thinking its about shoulder length. Her hair is thick, not as thick as mine but very thick. She planned on buying index 2 (or whatever its called). Do you guys think one kit will be enough? She was choosing between this and ORS relaxer.

One kit will not be enough. She'll need two if she has all natural, thick hair.

Honi

There is no board.
I never had a problem with dryness but then again I don't use their reconstructor either. Because I stretch so long I have to use 1.5 kits to get good coverage. For some reason you need to use more product than the average relaxer.

Someone on the board...I forget who had a great idea for neutralizing. Mix vinegar with the neutralizing poo. I get white suds way quicker than without it. It's an excellent tip.

Jazzy413

• Have used Index 2 for almost 3 years, no issues with dryness or anything else that seems to be problematic for a lot of people that use/have used Phytorelaxer.
  • I use a 1/2 container per touch up.
  • Hoping that you have a good experience with the product if you use it :)

Thank you...I think I am definitely going to try it out. I have a week long trip to NY in Dec, so I am thinking that the end of Nov I will go ahead and take that plunge!! I will be about 7 months post at that point...Om just hoping that it takes ok.

Pattycake, let me know how it takes for your mom if she decides to go with Phyto....Thanks!

Last edited: