PHYTO Users - What Are You Adding?

MissYocairis

If you relax with Phyto, what, if anything are you adding to the relaxer? (i.e. oils/conditioners) Please also specify the index you use and whether you are satisfied with the results.

If you are not a Phyto user but still add something, I'd love to hear your method also.

Thanks! :)

Denim And Leather

Hey there!

I relaxed last month with Index 2. I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of EVOO, and my hair underprocessed, and reverted it back two weeks later. Phyto is very mild, so you might want to skip adding oils if your're going to use it.

HTH! :)

JLove74

Denim And Leather said:
Hey there!

I relaxed last month with Index 2. I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of EVOO, and my hair underprocessed, and reverted it back two weeks later. Phyto is very mild, so you might want to skip adding oils if your're going to use it.

what she said. There was a long thread about this last month. I asked a stylist that when to a training at Phyto about this and she was told never to add anything - conditioners or oils to the relaxer, as it could interfer with the chemical process.

MissYocairis

Denim And Leather said:
Hey there!

Wow! :eek: Seriously? And, this time, I am switching to index 1 instead of index 2 (which I've used for the past year). I was going to add some kind of conditioner or oil to it just for that extra "kick".

When you say, "underprocessed" , D&L, do you typically prefer yours bone-straight? Is it a frizzy underprocessing? When it reverted back, did it revert back all the way or what? :)

Denim And Leather

CantBeCopied said:
Wow! :eek: Seriously? And, this time, I am switching to index 1 instead of index 2 (which I've used for the past year). I was going to add some kind of conditioner or oil to it just for that extra "kick".

When you say, "underprocessed" , D&L, do you typically prefer yours bone-straight? Is it a frizzy underprocessing? When it reverted back, did it revert back all the way or what? :)

I usually like my hair bone straight, which is why I got Index 2 (because I read on here that Index 1 will not make your hair bone straight.)

When I relaxed with the Phyto, parts of my hair were texturized, and some parts didn't relax at all, so I still had new growth. I think overall, it got texturized. It did feel nice afterwards, like my hair was coated (in a good way) with something to make it feel soft, and it wasn't frizzy at all. Two weeks later when I washed my hair, most of it felt like how it did before I relaxed it!

I posted some pics in my Fotki of what my hair looked like two weeks after my Phyto relaxer, if you want to check it out.

I will be getting a correction done by a professional next month.

Arcadian

you really have no need to add anything to phyto. If anything, add a good coating of conditioner to your previously relaxed hair to protect it. For this I use a low PH conditioner like Porosity control or Nexxus Ensure.

If you want to use a conditioner between rinsing the relaxer out but prior to shampooing, then thats probably the best time (its what I do.)

I use fiberguard sustenance for this step and leave it on for 5 minutes, rinse, then proceed with shampooing, but any low PH conditioner will work just fine.

HTH

-A

sareca

I'm planning to add oil to mine, amla or almond maybe. I'm also planning to do after rinse (before neutralizing) conditioning treatment with Affirm Fiberguard for a coupla minutes. :yep:

BTW CantBeCopied, awesome 1 year progress. :dance7:

Dogmd

NADA (Nothing).

I had my stylist apply it for me yesterday. She used the entire kit (index 2) as directed. It is the best relaxer I have ever used.

Why are other people adding things to it?

Denim And Leather

Dogmd said:
NADA (Nothing).

I had my stylist apply it for me yesterday. She used the entire kit (index 2) as directed. It is the best relaxer I have ever used.

Why are other people adding things to it?

I used the oil to slow down the processing time of the relaxer, and that's what a lot of people do when they self relax.

beana

CantBeCopied said:
If you relax with Phyto, what, if anything are you adding to the relaxer? (i.e. oils/conditioners) Please also specify the index you use and whether you are satisfied with the results.

If you are not a Phyto user but still add something, I'd love to hear your method also.

Thanks! :)

like others have stated, its probably best NOT to add anything to it. Especially if you're using he milder strength. My sis relaxed my hair 4 days ago with index2, i added 1/2 oz of olive oil to it, left it on for 20 mins and my hair is straight like it usually is. I'm not worried about it reverting or anything because i've used phyto for the past year with consistent results (alhough this is my first ime using i with oil)...HOWEVER my reason for adding the oil was to intentionally slow the processing time. I have 4a fine hair and noticed that index 2 was taking too much body out of my hair, even when left on for only 12-15 mins. I didn't want to go with the index 1 because I wasn't sure if it would properly straighten. So in a nutshell, i would say add a touch of oil if you were using index 2, but since you have the index 1 i'd say leave it as is. Phyto is truly a superior relaxer that functions well unaltered.

Last edited:

Faith

Nothing...I don't want to take anything away from the product, making it ineffective
I use Phyto II and loved it.

Faith

Arcadian said:
you really have no need to add anything to phyto. If anything, add a good coating of conditioner to your previously relaxed hair to protect it. For this I use a low PH conditioner like Porosity control or Nexxus Ensure.

If you want to use a conditioner between rinsing the relaxer out but prior to shampooing, then thats probably the best time (its what I do.)

I use fiberguard sustenance for this step and leave it on for 5 minutes, rinse, then proceed with shampooing, but any low PH conditioner will work just fine.

HTH

-A
Ah so you are doing a reconstructive step BEFORE neutralizing? I am thinking about doing that next time I relax (I use Affirm 5 in 1). For those of you doing another step BEFORE neutralizing have you had any issues?

Last edited: