Question about post relaxer washing

missjoey

Greetings ladies, I'm sort of a newbie and I have a question. I got a relaxer a week ago and would like to wash my hair today. I was wondering whether I should co-wash, use regular shampoo or clarify? What do y'all normally do for your next wash after a relaxer? Thanks!

Last edited:

SvelteVelvet

Alot of people wash a week after a relaxer and some do some sort of treatment. I just had a touch-up and washed and DC'd the next day because my hairdresser defiantly overlapped on my processed hair. My hair felt much better after I did this. And this weekend, which will be a week later, I'm doing a protein treatment with my wash and DC.

SvelteVelvet

Oh I washed with Nexxus Botanoil Treatment Shampoo, that is suppose to replace lipids lost through chemical processing, then DC'd with a Deep Penetrating Anti-Breakage creme/conditioner.

RubyWoo

I usually wait a week but with my most recent relaxer I washed the next day. I washed with a moisturzing shampoo (ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo), conditioned with a protien reconstructor (Motions CPR) for 15 mins and then deep conditioned with a moisturzing condtioner for 45 mins. My hair felt soft and strong after doing this.

preciousjewel76

My first wash after a relaxer, I use a clarifying shampoo (I clarify with neutralizing poo). Just a personal preference. By that point that there shouldn't be any relaxer left in my hair, because I neutralize like crazy. I guess I just like to be on the safe side.:lol:

Cholet112

I usually wait a week after my relaxer to wash. I clarify with Aveda Detoxifier, Pre-treat with Sap Moss Concentrate, Wash with Aveda DR, Light Protein Treatment with Aveda DR Treatment, finally condition with Aveda Conditioner. I know its a lot but my hair stays in top shape because of this.

gymfreak336

I usually wash 4 days to a week after my relaxer. I wash with my favorite moisturizing shampoo and condition with protein for 10-20mins and follow with moisture for another 30 -45. I usually use aveda damage remedy shampoo, motions silk protien conditioner and silk elements cholesterol.

missjoey

Thanks for all of the good info ladies. Does anyone pre-poo before the first wash or is that not necessary?

Arcadian

I wait 4 days before my next wash. I use giovanni metallic line so thats what I use as far as shampoo. depending on where day 4 falls and how my hair feels I may do a DC or just a regular con.

-A

RubyWoo

missjoey said:
Thanks for all of the good info ladies. Does anyone pre-poo before the first wash or is that not necessary?

I do! I usually pre-poo with Amla oil and Vatika Oil.