question about maintaining colored hair

N

nicole

I am considering dyeing my whole head for the first time (instead of just highlights) from black (the current color) to a warm honey-brownish color.

My question is would they have to bleach my hair to get it that color?
And factoring in frequent washes and hair growth, how often would I have to get the color re-done (say at the roots)

Thanks for any help!!

I have never dyed my entire head, just chunky highlights, I have dark brown hair with reddish highlights and I wanted golden highlights. My hair processed so far and then she had to add a little bleach to make it lighter. So, I'm guessing since your hair is black that you will have to have bleach added to lighten your hair.

Well, in order to take your dark hair light, you need to lift the dark out, which means bleaching, then depositing your desired color. My hair is naturaly dark brown, and I color it ash blonde, which requires bleach- my hair is pretty resistant, so I have to use a 40 volume lift, but usually it's not recommeded to use that high of a lift. 30 is the standard, but it only takes my hair to a bright gold which taints the final result. Since the contrast is extreme between the blonde and the natural color, touch ups on the new growth is pretty quick (unless you're lazy like ME and let more than an inch grow out before getting around to it!!)
Just remember, the lighter shades are VERY high maintenence, you have the double processing on your hair (which BURNS, by the way!), the conditioning you already have with black hair is more with the color treated hair, because you have stripped it down by this point with the bleache. Then you have your daily conditionig to keep the moisture in, and products to keep the color bright and resist fading.
I love my color, and have done this for years, but it is tedious work, so I spend much time with braided extensions, so I don't have to bother with my own hair for a while.

You could just use one of the Textures and Tones Blonds (Honey or Lightest) - which is your hair is a dark brown - should come out the honey shade you want and then use a rinse to tone it. This a healthier option than using bleach first.

See my gallery for results - the pic where you can see my face - my hair is a honeyish color - is a representation of this very strategy. If you wanted a slightly darker result you could use a slightly deeper rinse - Sebastian Golden Walnut would be nice over one of the T&T blond shades.

I say use a blond shade in T&T because those come with a "booster" which would take your hair past the brassy red stage into the more golden shades without the use of straight bleach.

You would touch up the permie color every 4-6 months and then sue the rinse as needed to maintain your desired color.
smile.gif

My hair has to be boosted in order to reach the current light brown reddish shade I have now. I don't know if the booster is the same thing as bleach, I've never been quite clear on it. Like Tracy said, 4-6 months is good timing, I prefer to do mine no more than twice a year. I'm still sporting my shade from February, and the nice thing is, it looks really nice once the shade starts to grow out and your natural roots grow in. Dual-tones contrast nicely, especially with black roots.
smile.gif

You probably won't need to have your head bleached. My mother has dark brown hair and I used T&T Honey Blonde on her and it took her hair all the way up to a honey blonde color, although you have to be careful when applying the color because the parts of your hair with the most heat (near the scalp) process the faster and when it's all said and done, that ain't cute.
nono.gif

I say buy the T&T Honey Blonde (comes with a booster) and have a pro put it in for you, and tell her to stop the color once it gets near a medium-light brown.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I say buy the T&T Honey Blonde (comes with a booster) and have a pro put it in for you, and tell her to stop the color once it gets near a medium-light brown.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That definitely sounds like a good idea.
smile.gif
That way if the color doesn't come out like you want it, they have to fix it!!
grin.gif

Yip. And then, if you don't like that particular light brown, a rinse can be applied over it EASILY and will deposit nicely because the hair is more porous. I love haircolor!
trampoline.gif

Karonica - you and I both girl! So FUN!
grin.gif
trampoline.gif

I'm still not exactly clear just what a booster is either. I know it pushes you past the red shades that you go through to get to blond - but I don't know how, or how that differs from bleach. That'll be my new research project!
laugh.gif

As far as "hot" roots....You know what I did when I first first colored my hair? I sectioned it in smallish sections (I think I ended up with about 16 sections) and I only dyed my hair from about 3/4 inch to an inch down. I didn't do my roots. No hot roots!
grin.gif
And I got that automatic grown out look that I like.
grin.gif
I used the butterfly clips you use to hold the hair in sections and slip the teeth up under each section after I applied the color and twsted it into a little loose knot so not of it got to the roots....

It worked pretty well. But I agree with Lindy - if you've never done it, go to a salon. The only thing is they just DON'T LISTEN. That's why I started doing it myself.

That's sooo true.
whyme.gif
To the author of this thread, go to a consultation first, so you can get a feel of the stylist. You can't trust everybody to dye your head.
nono.gif

well...just make sure they use joico to dye your hair! it has their p-pak system in the dye itself. that's the only thing I let my hair lady use....and I was drk brn and went med golden brn with platinum highlights!

Chuli - is Joico really really good? I never knew they made a dye!!!
smile.gif

Do you know if it has ammonia? How was your hair's condition after? Sounds like a very cool color...

I only use T&T because it's the best "over the counter" product I have found to date, but I'm interested to know more.

Was your process double or single (I ask because you mention the platinum highlights)? What shade did you use - d'you know?

Sorry for all the questions...
laugh.gif

I hope you'll indulge me...
smile.gif

Has anyone tried Loreal's High lift for dark hair? It comes in a tube and you mix with it 20 or 30 vol bleach (relaxed or natural). It supposedly guarentees that you don't end up in the brassy red stage.

I haven't CBG - but I wouldn't trust much of anything L'oreal when it comes to color except the Casting.
crazy.gif
It's just generally has a very harsh approach to color overall...

But what you are talking about sounds like yor basic booster.
smile.gif

Hmmm Thanks for the advice. I've been debating weather to use the LOReal or Texture and Tones for when I come oout of braids in the spring.

Back