Question about high protein diets

mona_cherie

Hello ladies. I know of the benefits in ingesting high amounts of protein for hair growth and hair health. But my question is why don't female body builders and fitness competitors have long beautiful hair. I see a lot of female fitness competitors and body builders with extensions and eaten up hairlines. Does upping protein intake and then lifting weights diminish the effects of the protein may have had on hair growth? Does the protein that would have been used for the hair get used by the body for muscle growth?

sonce

The vast, vast majority of female bodybuilders and fitness competitors did not get where they were through protein and training alone. The vast, vast majority use testosterone and anabolic steroids (as well as creatin, growth hormone, and a whole variety of other chemicals) to induce their bodies to bulk up. You would be surprised by how widespread and open the chemical use is. Male pattern balding and overall unhealthiness that leads to hair loss are the results of these regimens. (And are actually the least of these women's worries--kidney, liver, heart, bone, and joint abnormalities are much more horrid side effects.)

Tenacious

I am a member of Bodybuilding.com community and a former amateur fitness competitor as well. There is nothing linking high protein to loss of hair. This may be just the competitor/trainer herself who doesn't have good hair care habits....

Also, in competition, long hair distracts from judging and unlike beauty pageants, and judges want to see all the body parts, so too long hair can be a downfall when it comes to judging. Competitors want to show their bodies, not their hair. Most I know get their hair cut because of this. Others get extensions when they feel the need to.

I do take Whey Protein with Biotin and my B-Vitamin Complex. The combination made my hair sprout when I transitioned to natural. My transition didn't take very long due to this combination. But be sure to have adequate water intake, because too much protein taxes the kidneys...

mona_cherie

The vast, vast majority of female bodybuilders did not get where they were through protein and training alone. The vast, vast majority use testosterone and anabolic steroids (as well as creatin, growth hormone, and a whole variety of other chemicals) to induce their bodies to bulk up. Male pattern balding and overall unhealthiness that leads to hair loss are the results of these regimens. (And are actually the least of these women's worries--kidney, liver, heart, bone, and joint abnormalities are much more horrid side effects.)

But even with fitness and figure competitors, who do not get huge and are still quite feminine (and I don't think steroid use is as prominent in fitness and figure, but I could be wrong), I don't see all these women with long flowing hair. So is it the way they take care of their hair (i.e. the hair is growing, but they are not retaining length), or is all the protein being used to build muscle leaving none left over for hair and hair growth?

ETA: Tenacious I just saw your post after I posted the above. Thanks :).

sonce

But even with fitness and figure competitors, who do not get huge and are still quite feminine (and I don't think steroid use is as prominent in fitness and figure, but I could be wrong), I don't see all these women with long flowing hair.
Yes, steroid use is prominent in fitness and figure. The impression regular people have is that steroids are used to give you a bulging, juiced-out muscle-bound look, but the reality is that they are used for much more than that. Whatever physical results a user is looking for (whether a slender, toned look or a hugely muscular, masculine look or something in between), steroids and other such chemicals give results faster and most importantly, they help maintain results. A woman will maintain her svelte, lithe fitness body longer, get back into shape quicker after a off-season period, develop better symmetry (due to body type differences, some might develop a six pack easily but have calves that develop a nice shape only with great effort--steroids help with weak points), hence why steroid use is so rampant both among bodybuilders and fitness competitors and even just regular athletes. I once considered pursuing fitness competitively, have dated many in that world, have a brother in that world, and have many friends in that world. The Juice is rampant.

Last edited:

Tenacious

The vast, vast majority of female bodybuilders and fitness competitors did not get where they were through protein and training alone. The vast, vast majority use testosterone and anabolic steroids (as well as creatin, growth hormone, and a whole variety of other chemicals) to induce their bodies to bulk up. You would be surprised by how widespread and open the chemical use is. Male pattern balding and overall unhealthiness that leads to hair loss are the results of these regimens. (And are actually the least of these women's worries--kidney, liver, heart, bone, and joint abnormalities are much more horrid side effects.)

This is very true for bodybuilders... But creatine is not bad for women. I will clarify that. And also, fitness competitors do use protein, training and thermogenics, especially on BB.com, and many are not on anabolic steroids. But the hair loss comes from the steroids, not the protein usage.... thanks for stating that, because I forgot why some women do bald....

mona_cherie

Yikes! That's really great information though (I have an interest in fitness and /or figure), I never knew steroid use was so prominent. That's very interesting. Thanks for all the great info ladies!

Yes, steroid use is prominent in fitness and figure. The impression regular people have is that steroids are used to give you a bulging, juiced-out muscle-bound look, but the reality is that they are used for much more than that. Whatever physical results a user is looking for (whether a slender, toned look or a hugely muscular, masculine look or something in between), steroids and other such chemicals give results faster and most importantly, they help maintain results. A woman will maintain her svelte, lithe fitness body longer, get back into shape quicker after a off-season period, develop better symmetry (due to body type differences, some might develop a six pack easily but have calves that develop a nice shape only with great effort--steroids help with weak points), hence why steroid use is so rampant both among bodybuilders and fitness competitors and even just regular athletes. I once considered pursuing fitness competitively, have dated many in that world, have a brother in that world, and have many friends in that world. The Juice is rampant.

LadyBlu

Another bodybuilding nut checking in. Remember that a lot of these female competitors still know absolutely nothing about hair care so they are not following any type of hair regimen which can lead to the lack of hair health.

I was drinking protein shakes for years and drinking water and never had any hair growth because I wasn't taking care of my hair. Now that I have combined the two and discovered that my body diet is actually good for my hair, my hair is flourishing!

dynamic1

Another fitness enthusiast checking in here.....
Just like anything else, if you don't know how to take care of your hair, you just don't and protein intake won't help the situation. My hair was long as a fitness competitor and so was about 50% of the "black" fitness women I came to know. Also, some women do not maintain their eating/exercise habits year round. Yo-yo dieting causes hair loss. Losing 20 lbs in a short time can cause problems. (Some people also under estimate the importance of healthy fats for the skin and the hair)

Creatine is found naturally occuring in red meat and is not related to prohormones, illegal steroids or drugs any more than whey protein. However, most women I know would not want to take it because of the bloating and extra lbs it gives. All the competitors I knew were natural(drug free). Well, I'll just say most, because the back & chest braille is the dead give away.

Last edited: