Question about Hennalucent.

Ipanema

Hi, everybody. I read the entire henna thread & heard nothing but good news about Hennalucent. However, I used it two days ago using the recipe in the thread (except I used olive oil instead of avacodo oil) and now my hair is dry-looking and frizzy. I had better results with the milk/lime concoction. It made my hair curly, soft, & healthy-looking. Now my hair is so dry & feels crunchy. How can I get it soft & healthy-looking again?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Try deep conditioning with the most moisturizing conditioner you have. After I rinse out the Hennalucent, I like to deep condition with Mizani Moisturfuse, Elucence, Tropical Avocado or Jason Sea Kelp.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Ipanema said:
Hi, everybody. I read the entire henna thread &amp; heard nothing but good news about Hennalucent. However, I used it two days ago using the recipe in the thread (except I used olive oil instead of avacodo oil) and now my hair is dry-looking and frizzy. I had better results with the milk/lime concoction. It made my hair curly, soft, &amp; healthy-looking. Now my hair is so dry &amp; feels crunchy. How can I get it soft &amp; healthy-looking again?

[/ QUOTE ]
You may had a problem doing them back to back. I did the Hennalucent first then the lime/coconut and my hair was dry also. I just got it back to feeling moisturized again.

fancypants007

I used the hennalucent yesterday. I kept it on for 90 minutes. My hair is 23 inches long and i used two packages. I did not add additional products to it. I took my time and made sure that my hair was covered. I put on a plastic cap and waited. I rinsed, and then gave myself a hot oil treatment. I sit under my steamer for 30 minutes. I then rinsed and put on a instant conditioner (while i showered) and then i rinsed lastly with cold water. I could tell there was a difference in my hair, but let me tell you my hair was not that detangled. I was so upset because that was the primary reason why i wanted to do it. I picked up one of the shower combs from Sally's that everyone is raving about and it did seem to help, but what i really dislike about my hair being so tangled is that i have to put so much googly-gook on it to tame it down, world of curls, s-curl, mega growth. I was so upset doing my hair yesterday. I guess because i was hoping that hennualcent would have helped me in the detangling department. I will still continue to use this product, but i will follow the instructions and use every 4-6 weeks. Maybe i'm confusing hennualucent with real henna. I know that real henna makes claims that it can detangle the hair. Hopefully, i will find the products that will soften my hair and make it easy to comb.

NAPPtural

Maybe i'm confusing hennualucent with real henna.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you.

Hopefully, i will find the products that will soften my hair and make it easy to comb.

[/ QUOTE ]
..through tried and error. It took my friend almost a whole year before she found her products. I'm sure you will soon.

I see you have a steamer...besides your hennalucent treatment, when you do other treatments with your steamer, how often and how do you like your steamer...do you see a big difference..using moist heat then dry heat?
I have a hair steamer myself, and with my hair I see a difference. Its more moisturizing,which prevents breakage
what are your results?

~Napptural~

fancypants007

Hello NAPPatural,

I have been using my hair steamer for the past 3 months (i recently took my braids out) and to be honest i really don't know if it has made that much difference, but i know that moist heat is better for the hair. (maybe to soon to tell) If anything i can really tell my face likes it because i'm sweating profusely in my face. I definitely prefer it over dry heat (hair dryer). I remember Robin (hairlady) said that if you use a heating cap on natural hair that it will cause it to draw up to the scalp and make it difficult to comb. I don't know if that holds true with the hair steamer, but i try to do a 60 minute deep condition using my hair steamer (and by the way they recommend using distilled water). I've used cholesterol type conditioners and it doesn't seem to make my hair soft, i recently purchased GOT2B emergency hair repair conditioner which i will try using this weekend with my steamer, and/or kercare humecto conditioner. My hair is fine, but i have so much volume, needless to say, alot of hair to moisturize. Do you have any products, and/or suggestions that can help me? Yesterday, i had the little knots in some places which takes a great deal of patience. I had to cut 2 of them because i just could not detangle them. But what i find so hard to believe, is that doing this process of detangling, i lost very little hair. I know that's good, but i hear the cracking, and the popping and i have a seamless comb. I just don't want to damage my hair because it's so hard to detangle. Please help me!

NAPPtural

fancypants007 said:
Hello NAPPatural,

I have been using my hair steamer for the past 3 months (i recently took my braids out) and to be honest i really don't know if it has made that much difference, but i know that moist heat is better for the hair. (maybe to soon to tell) If anything i can really tell my face likes it because i'm sweating profusely in my face. I definitely prefer it over dry heat (hair dryer). I remember Robin (hairlady) said that if you use a heating cap on natural hair that it will cause it to draw up to the scalp and make it difficult to comb. I don't know if that holds true with the hair steamer, but i try to do a 60 minute deep condition using my hair steamer (and by the way they recommend using distilled water). I've used cholesterol type conditioners and it doesn't seem to make my hair soft, i recently purchased GOT2B emergency hair repair conditioner which i will try using this weekend with my steamer, and/or kercare humecto conditioner. My hair is fine, but i have so much volume, needless to say, alot of hair to moisturize. Do you have any products, and/or suggestions that can help me? Yesterday, i had the little knots in some places which takes a great deal of patience. I had to cut 2 of them because i just could not detangle them. But what i find so hard to believe, is that doing this process of detangling, i lost very little hair. I know that's good, but i hear the cracking, and the popping and i have a seamless comb. I just don't want to damage my hair because it's so hard to detangle. Please help me!

[/ QUOTE ]

...cholesterol type conditioners..Girl I was using the same thing...a friend of mine told me to STOP using cholesterol in my hair. She told me to do a real mayo conditioner and then follow up with a moisturizing spray. I know this is going to sound gross but I did this and it works..What I did was first went to sallys and got me plastic caps, and some of this cotton that the salon uses I don't know the name of it the box is upstaris I will post that later but its like cotton and you put it around your head like a headband and then put the plastic cap on it catches drippies. Well I got some real mayo and put it in my hair(a whole bunch) I really don't like the smell but hey..it did work)then I got the cotton headband and wrap that around then I put the plastic cap on and went under my steamer. I went under there for 1hr. then I took off the cap and the messing headband (this is messy) and before I even let water touch my head I got lots of shampoo and rub it in my hair. I load it up with lots of shampoo then I got in the shower wet it a bit add more poo and then went under the shower head and rinse real good. I then put some VO5 strawberrie and cream co in my hair put on a plastic cap did my shower biz, then I rinse off...after that...I put a moisturizing spray in my hair like Sta-Sof-Fro (this really makes your hair soft and moisturize) and that's it...my hair was soft and well moisturize...I then got my braids put in...my plan is to do this mayo co everytime I take my braids out to strengthen and conditions my hair. ALso real fresh avacodo mashed up is also a VERY GOOD NATURAL moisturizer. (I haven't try that yet, they're not in season yet...but my friend did. SHe is natural product user).
BUt for the store brought products I really can't help you with...I had use suave and VO5 co's and wentunder my steamer but I think the key is to moisturize REAL GOOD. After my goal with the hair growth braids I will be using henna in my hair to keep it moisturize and condition. But I will look around for you...and do a search...and get back with you..also you can do hot oil treatments...I had just did a hot oil treatment with my braids in under the steamer. But I think the Sta-Sof-Fro is really a good moisturizer. If you decided to try this method out..please keep me updated...I will PM you in the next hour..
Also before I put my braids in Iwas using my steamer 3 times a week. Our type of hair needs moisture. But like I had said the key thing is the moisturizing spray.

Hope this helps..

~Napptural~

NAPPtural

fancypants007
for the detangle I don't have long hair I started with a TWA and it growing from that so I don't have problems with tangles but when I had a relaxer in my hair my hair was long then and I had use the Creme of Nature shampoo (it was in a red bottle) really help with my hair and the tangles. I haven't seen the red bottle in a while. MAybe the ladies who have long hair can help you with this...

~Napptural~

fancypants007

Thanks alot NAPPatural. I will be doing this treatment this weekend. It's funny that you should say mayo because i went to the THLC website this morning to see how to measure your hair and they have a bunch of information about maintaining long hair and mayo treatments and hot oil were excellent treatments to use. I have also used Sta-so-fro in the past and it was wonderful in moisturizing my hair. I'm almost out of s-curl so i will pick up this instead. I know that softness and moisture is excellent for our hair and i want to try to keep it in some what good condition to keep the split ends/breakage at bay. I will keep you posted of my results. Thanks again.

Ipanema

Maybe it was the cholesterol that dried my hair out. I mixed some with the Hennalucent, and I also put a bunch on after I rinsed. Well, yesterday I did a mayo treatment, mixing in some olive oil, and then putting a plastic cap on for about 4 hours. This was the nastiest smelling, greasiest stuff, but my hair still looks like ashy knees, so I'm putting s-curl activator in my hair today with a plastic cap to see if that works.

NAPPtural

Maybe it was the cholesterol that dried my hair out. I mixed some with the Hennalucent, and I also put a bunch on after I rinsed.

[/ QUOTE ]
OHHHHHH yes...that did it and also the other stuff in the hennalucent. There was a thread where a girl did a hennalucent treatment and she follow the basic directions and didn't add anything to it and she said she got good results. I think. i have to go back and LQQK.

Well, yesterday I did a mayo treatment, mixing in some olive oil, and then putting a plastic cap on for about 4 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
ummmm try to do another one without adding anything to the mayo. Just use plain mayo. and right after you rinse it out pat your hair with the towel and apply Sta-SOf-Fro to your hair...this will help. I've already done it.

This was the nastiest smelling, greasiest stuff,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you,but is does work....

but my hair still looks like ashy knees, so I'm putting s-curl activator in my hair today with a plastic cap to see if that works.

[/ QUOTE ]
The mayo already have oils in it so maybe you over did it by adding more oil. I don't know. But I do know when I use it plain and use Sta-Sof-Fro afterwards my hair was soft. SOft for days...you ahve to moisturize after...instead of putting the s-curl in your hair and keeping the cap on..do the mayo now and keep it on and rinse then use the s-curl..I didn't use the s-curl when I did it..but the s-curl is also a moisturizing spray.Better yet..
DO the mayo tonight...keep it in all night rinse in the morning and use the spray. (I know it sound gross to keep it on all night but put two plastic caps on and wrap a scarf and you should be fine., I did this before)(I even use my hair steamer for a hour with the mayo)
Let me know what cha going to do..I want to keep up with you.

~Napptural~

G

Hi Ipanema,

Cholesterol is purported to have a drying effect on the hair. Also, next time you do a hennalucent treatment you may want to add 1/4 cup of oil or more to your mix. Many of us who use this product have had great results. The hennalucent is drying this is why we add the oils to counteract the drying effects. Other than this, if you use or plan on using any chemical service, this is one of the best henna containing products their is because it does not break your hair

NAPPtural

SeaMist said:
Hi Ipanema,

Cholesterol is purported to have a drying effect on the hair. Also, next time you do a hennalucent treatment you may want to add 1/4 cup of oil or more to your mix. Many of us who use this product have had great results. The hennalucent is drying this is why we add the oils to counteract the drying effects. Other than this, if you use or plan on using any chemical service, this is one of the best henna containing products their is because it does not break your hair

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi,
umm I think she did use oil in her mixture. She even used the recipe off of the hennalucent thread and her results wasn't so good.

Hi, everybody. I read the entire henna thread &amp; heard nothing but good news about Hennalucent. However, I used it two days ago using the recipe in the thread (except I used olive oil instead of avacodo oil) and now my hair is dry-looking and frizzy. I had better results with the milk/lime concoction. It made my hair curly, soft, &amp; healthy-looking. Now my hair is so dry &amp; feels crunchy. How can I get it soft &amp; healthy-looking again?

[/ QUOTE ]

~Napptural~

G

Ipanema how much oil did you use in your mix? Just recently I only used a little amount of olive oil in my batch, and my hair came out very dry and my scalp was itchy. This happened to two other users as well. So what we've learned was you must apply a sufficent amount of oil to the hennalucent.

Some people can use it with no additives and don't seem to have a problem. But since you've experienced dryness, I say add a sufficent amount of oil and if you want, a moisturizing conditioner as well

NAPPtural

NAPPtural said:
Maybe it was the cholesterol that dried my hair out. I mixed some with the Hennalucent, and I also put a bunch on after I rinsed.

[/ QUOTE ]
OHHHHHH yes...that did it and also the other stuff in the hennalucent. There was a thread where a girl did a hennalucent treatment and she follow the basic directions and didn't add anything to it and she said she got good results. I think. i have to go back and LQQK.

Henna &amp; Hennalucent PAge 36 (Nita4's Hennalucent Treatment)
scroll down to read the rest of the posts.

~Napptural~

nita4

Yep, that was me. Hi Nappural

I didn't add a thing to it and as HennaJoy mentioned there is enough of stuff added to it already.
I don't know why they say 100% natural Henna. They must be talking about the Henna added to the other stuff.

I like the Hennalucent, it's a good product.
I think if one uses to much it would be drying because it a mild protein. I would also keep in mind previous treatments done to the hair. I had given myself a protein treatment (Keraphix) the week prior to the hennalucent and thought that the Hennalucent would have dried my hair out, but it didn't. I also followed up with Humectress. I won't use again anytime soon. I also used straight on my daughter's hair and it really loosened her 4a curl pattern. She is all natural and I'll probably give her another treatment in a week, making it four weeks. I'm in no hurry to loosen her curl pattern. I think the best results will be over time.

Besides I'm to scared and to lazy to add anything

Best of luck to you mixers, but please remember what you have already previously done to your hair. Use every 4 weeks. If you mixed - write down what you used.

NAPPtural

Hey Girl

How are you...

I knew it was somebody who didn't add all that stuff to their mix and got GOOD results truthfully.

You gave some good advice Nita4. I'm sure someone will see it and THANK YOU later!!!

~Napptural~

Ipanema

Napptural, thanks for your advice. I think I'll wait until the weekend before using the mayo, though, because I am about tired of washing my hair. I normally wash it once a week, but I think I've already washed it at least 4 times in the past week trying new things.

And Seamist, I used 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil in my Hennalucent mix. I also used about 1/4 cup warm water, and 2 tablespoons of cholesterol. I left out the lemon juice &amp; substituted the avacodo oil, and it looked like brown pudding when I was through mixing. I read in the henna thread that some people are applying the product once a week for a month, and then once a month after that, but I am reluctant to try it again.

Now I finally have my hair feeling soft &amp; looking shiny again. I combed the s-curl gel through my hair, then used the spray, and covered with the plastic cap for a couple of hours. When I took the cap off, it wasn't at all drippy like I thought it would be (I guess my hair was thirsty
). So I am going to give my hair a rest for a while.

HennaJoy

Hi Ipanema,

After applying the mayo and then rinsing out, put a moisturizer on your hair while it is still wet. I think you will experience the difference.

With 100% natural henna powder, you will see a noticeable detangling. You should be able to work your fingers through your hair and use the larger combs without hair loss. There is nothing about usage of 100% natural henna that will cause breakage to your hair. I also recommend applying your moisturizer...I just use the coconut oil and baobob oil...to your hair right after you have finished rinsing out the henna to help seal in the moisture and the effect of your conditioning. That one/two punch is important.

If you are going to use oils to moisturize your hair...I apply daily (actually nightly) to moistened hair...you will need to find the one that gives you the best results. They are not all equal in results on everyone's hair. I find some to be too light for my hair and others to be too heavy. Finding the one that is just right for your hair and desired results is important. And the best way to know which one that is would be to not mask them in other products and ingredients, but to see what they do on their own on hair that has just received a deep conditioning. You will probably find out that one or two will do what it seemed to require 4 or 6 to do.

And just like people are finding the steamers to serve two purpose...good for their hair and good for their skin...the right oil can do similarly for you. The baobab oil I use for my hair I can also use on my skin. The wrong oil on my hair and scalp will effect the skin on my face. So finding a dual purpose oil is a time and money saver as well as good friend to your hair and skin.

I can only say an amen to the advice that Nita4 and Napptural has given you.

HennaJoy

G

Now I finally have my hair feeling soft &amp; looking shiny again. I combed the s-curl gel through my hair, then used the spray, and covered with the plastic cap for a couple of hours. When I took the cap off, it wasn't at all drippy like I thought it would be (I guess my hair was thirsty
). So I am going to give my hair a rest for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ipanema. Only you can determine what is best for your hair. I'm glad you mentioned that you used the S-curl because I can definately vouch for it. The S-curl advice that Adrienne gave is really worth the purchase
I bought it the other day and it moisturizes very well. BTW, I'm glad that you got your hair to where you want it to be. I think I will use your method of moisturizing with the s-curl. It really is one of the best products to use for dry, thirst hair